Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Resident Evil Hunter Zsculpt

magyareagle
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
magyareagle polycounter lvl 18
A Hunter BOW (Bio Organic Weapon) from Resident Evil

This is a project that I've been wanting to do since I first started working in 3d almost 7 years ago. At the time I was playing the Resident Evil Code Veronica and these creatures caught my imagination. For some reason I've always loved the design of the creature.

I modeled a rough basemesh in Cinema 4D and then sculpted it in Zbrush. I then unwrapped and polypainted it in Zbrush before reimporting it into Cinema 4d for materials and rendering.

Textures consisted of 4098x4098 texture maps, in the color, diffusion (dirt), and specular channels. The reflection map used the specular map, combined with a noise and fresnel shader.

CrazyBumpproved instrumental in making the various channel maps, including specular and diffusion/dirt. I cannot exaggerate how highly I recommend that program.

The pedestal was created and Textured in Cinema 4D, and final post work was done in Photoshop.

The scene clocks in at just under 600,000 polygons, with 585,000 of those being the character itself. The initial sculpt was close to 2 million polygons, prior to using decimation master.

I probably could have gone the normal map route, but chose not to, given that this was a pure sculpt, and not intended for animation or rigging.