Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warehouse 13's Farnsworth.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Di$array polycounter lvl 5
Wanted a little break before I start my next character project so I decided to do a quick prop to pass the time. After thinking it over and after an episode of Warehouse 13 ;), I decided to go with a Farnsworth. The communication device featured in the show. It's currently clocking in at 1,990 tris at the moment, though I've still got some optimising to do.

Couple of Ref photos.
Farnsworth_%281%29.png
Farnsworth_%282%29.png

My Progress so far.
Farnsworth_WIP_01.jpg
Farnsworth_WIP_02.jpg
Farnsworth_WIP_03.jpg

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    pet peve of minek, you have edge numbers on you cylinders an corners all wonky, your small dials have just as much or more polys than the big screen, also the corners of the box which are much smaller have way much more polys than the main focal features. if this was for a fps view i would go more polys an do the frame that the screen sits into, make it feel more grounded, also looks like you have no hinges on it now, they should be partly visible from the inside
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback friend and I hear you loud and clear on the frame suggestion. I originally thought the same but thought i maybe able to get away with it till someone suggested it. So i've now included that.

As for the Dials looking wonky they are supposed to be ridged. sadly the 2 ref images I included are a tad to small to show them off fully. So i done a quick google search to show them in all their glory.
    parts2.jpg

As for the hinge, I included one but iN the images above it was sitting too far back on the model so i've also brought that forward to show its presents more.

Here is an update.
    Farnsworth_WIP_04.jpg
    Farnsworth_WIP_05.jpg
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Dude, I was going to do this too! Love the show! :)
    Keep it up!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    oh, i didnt mean the ridges on the dials, i'm full aware of the farnsworth, i've seen every w13 episode. infact just finished up season 3 last nite. the main lens looks much better now that you have added more polys, http://www.lane-collett.net/projects/props/farnsworth.html here is a really good site to help, also if you search replica props farnsworth, you can find a lot more
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter, Yeah fan of the show myself so i thought why not spend some time modelling something. Will do mate cheers.

Rhinokey, Glad to see another fan as well ;) Quite a cliff hanger we were left with at the end of series 3. Cheers for the site. I missed that one but I was lucky enough to stumble onto a fan made replica forum thread which helped me out to no end.

I think i'm finished bit on second glance i think i may need to darken the main brass panel. But see what you guys think about it.
    Farnsworth_Final_01.png
    Farnsworth_Final_02.png
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Nice! I love warehouse 13. You might want to think about where the scratches are. on the inside of the door, how would scratches get there. It might be better to think about how they hold it. the inside might have some oil from fingerprints, like be slightly more shiny or something. Anyways good job, can we see your texture sheets?
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody wrote: »
    Nice! I love warehouse 13. You might want to think about where the scratches are. on the inside of the door, how would scratches get there. It might be better to think about how they hold it. the inside might have some oil from fingerprints, like be slightly more shiny or something. Anyways good job, can we see your texture sheets?

Yeah thanks for spotting the scratches. It was late and i was tired and looking back i kinda went a bit mad with the power of the ps brush :D. But i've corrected the madness.

So here is the updated finished shot with a construction sheet along for the ride as well.

780x953.png
    780x491.png
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I think that you should make the main metal where all the nobs and screen are on, more bright gold. At the moment, its to dark. Also, add Arti or Claudia in the screen (Would be easy using photoshop),that way you can really make it stand out.
    Also, like cody said, add some shinny-ness to this. Atm the metal is very dull, giving it a old rusted look.
    Anyways, all in all, great job! :)