Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] WIP - Mass Effect inspired environment - Team project (image heavy)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Limewax polycounter lvl 6
Hello polycounters,

I am posting a thread representing my group for a project we're working on in college. The idea is to make a real-time level using UDK believable as possible in terms of the "realism" and to make it fit within an existing IP. (In a way, think fan art, but in the terms of like -- this would be the DLC if we were making it for the company)

There are 3 of us on the team, each handling a different section of the map's layout.

The concept is a facility where the old dropship shuttles from ME2 come to get a weapon. The ships dock in the loading bay, then they'll get the weapon attachment. There is an armory inside of the facility which tests out the prototype laser attachment the ship gets (the yellow/blue room). Also, an office space for "management". The entire space will be fully navigable.

We're looking for feedback on the overall read so far. Keep in mind its a work in progress, so some things are textured, some are still just grayboxed in. We do plan on adding some particles and moving bits to communicate the functionality and to give the scene some life.

Lighting is very roughed in at the moment, but we are trying to capture the dramatic lighting that Mass Effect 2 communicated. Also, we plan on adding a smart cubemap to every reflective surface to mimic the style as well (I know that wont fix everything, but some of the textures are reading as stone right now and were working on fixing that)

Thanks a ton in advance for any crits you may have! We will read everything and consider every aspect!

-Limewax

THIS OP CONTAINS the first pass progress photos...
Final renders start here:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1457458&postcount=18

Finished video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P4CCkRQJTY"][HD] UDK Environment - Mass Effect inspired realistic environment - Ringling College of Art & Design - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for watching!

T3krW.jpg

qyGt0.jpg

6SzpQ.jpg

uX3Yn.jpg

T3siM.jpg

Kv9IR.jpg

DlImj.jpg

Replies

• Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work guys
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
  • ArcticNova83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gee, wish I did stuff like this in my alma matter. Our first 3D instructor was a Flash guy who struggled to keep up with the rest of the class. Our program director at the time was dildos.
  • Aquarisjp3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all.

I'm one of Limewax's teammates on this project to produce a Mass Effect inspired environment. Currently I am in charge of building the armory portion of our map where they are testing the weapons that will be attached to the ships.

Currently the most complete asset I have is the wall kit. Just a basic normal/diffuse and flat spec on it for now. Any critique will be appreciated, thanks!
    h2prZ.jpg
    h2prZ
  • Sithis324
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im a huge Mass Effect fan and i have to say you guys have nailed down the feel already. Everything looks like it's from the series.

Will be following this, cant wait for textures to come
  • Aquarisjp3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A WIP shot of the laser that is sitting on the large table in the armory section before the night is out.

yt3Jv.jpg
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minor update:

- Finished the modular strut pieces using the strategy inspired by Snefer
    - Blocked in some more lighting
    - Minor setdress tweaks

Coming up soon, more interesting ground work... gonna be getting some floor panels, as well as texture the crane, crate and tank by the next update.... but theres a TON left to do. Gonna have some fun with postprocess (SSAO and Bokeh) as well :D

As far as the lighting goes, going to do a paintover tomorrow so look for that in the next update as well.

reOlH.jpg

xUsFH.jpg
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paintover update... still a bit behind on texture working

Thoughts before I take this any further?

PjbDE.jpg
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Change the floor texture on the latest image, it's rife with aliasing/moires, and will shimmer.

otherwise, nice work.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Your paint over feels way too dark. You should add a lot more bounce light overall in the top half of the image. I'm sure it'll also not make your lights feel so bright that are already in it too.

Don't forget that ME uses quite a bit of post processing effects as well to achieve their style. A lot of color grading and playing with the high mid and dark tones. Obviously, don't bother with that right away, but keep that in mind as well when you get closer to assembling everything with lighting and textures
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK: When you say the floor texture, are you talking about the floor texture on the lower of the two levels (lines), or the texture on the main height level (a dark tile)? Both of the textures there are placeholder until I can generate some more unique floor meshes, but I am wondering which pattern is the least appealing, or if they are both not working.

BlvdNights: I'd agree on the darkness bit. Being this is a paint over, I feel like naturally the top will light up more in the end result and I'll make adjustments based off that. Part of the reason for keeping the lights low in to the ground of the scene was to make the roof feel like its higher up than it actually is (not only that, but I am strapped for time and trying to take attention away from the ceiling as I may not be able to populate it as well as I'd like)

Thanks guys :) Definitely appreciated! Updates soon!
  • Aquarisjp3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update. Tweaked lighting, textured some more things and a bit more set dressing. Next thing on the list is to finish up the laser sitting on the table, at least getting a base texture pass on it and to add the bunch of wires that will be coming of of it and onto the floor.

s6JyL.jpg
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    twDh1.jpg

Progress update again. Still havent textured the crane, but now I am starting to block in the paint over lighting. Also did a ton more set dressing (the space is going to be fully navigable and not JUST to look good for this one shot).

I had some problems earlier as a teammate of mine accidentally saved over my level without my package loaded (and thus deleting all of my set dress as well as my cameras). I was able to recover about 70% of it through an iteration save, but none-the-less, I am a bit behind with the due date coming in quick!
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So a pretty major update here. We (team of 3) have been working pretty hard on this, along with some other assignments for college and whatnot. Still looking for any feedback or criticism anyone can spare before our due date on this coming monday (Halloweeeeeeen).

The types of feedback we're looking for are things that will help sell the idea that this "belongs in the mass effect world", things that will make this look more "realistic" and things that can emphasize a playable space (bearing in mind that this would be a 'neutral area' in Mass Effect and not a combat zone). Certain objects, like the arm/crane things in the large room still need more texture/material refining.

Thanks so far guys :) Been a fun process, after this pass we're gonna hold off until the final submissions. Enjoy

LZOaC.jpg

wrcWB.jpg

2rySB.jpg

zdHIC.jpg

kuymQ.jpg

gBUTP.jpg

zwwOh.jpg

G29sZ.jpg

UvxBO.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    dope.

I think the fog is a little too heavy in the large open areas.
    I reaaallly like the mood of the smaller interior shots with the reflective floor.I kinda like the overall dark-ish tone to the lighting, but I wish it were a little more pronounced. More contrast-y maybe. Maybe this awesome scene can give ya a little inspiration

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73253

That's all I got. Looking forward to more!
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dope.

I think the fog is a little too heavy in the large open areas.
    I reaaallly like the mood of the smaller interior shots with the reflective floor.I kinda like the overall dark-ish tone to the lighting, but I wish it were a little more pronounced. More contrast-y maybe. Maybe this awesome scene can give ya a little inspiration

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73253

That's all I got. Looking forward to more!

Yeah, I am responsible for the outside area myself, and I completely agree with the fog. Its most likely going to be cut back about 80% of what it's currently at in terms of its opacity. I think once I get the DOF and other post process settings up that it will emphasize that "sexy depth"... plus with some other small effects I was going to be adding to give it some more life (basically dusty circulating fog in some areas to make it more atmospheric)

Lighting can definitely use another pass, right now were in that polish phase of making all the things look as best as we can... I see what you mean about the constrasty differences though.

• Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2Xd7M.jpg

G0uGo.jpg

WCKcI.jpg

oFWIG.jpg

X7vdX.jpg

rpG0v.jpg

Zab1e.jpg

We finally finished up and I am proud to say I learned a lot during the process of this scene. My teammates may eventually post their individual areas and responsibilities up here, but for now this will be the last of my updates aside from our EPIC VIDEO FLY-THROUGH HOMGGMGMG.... thats coming within the next week (visual narrative vid), as well as my environmental reveal video.

Thanks for the crits I've got along the way, I am still open to more advice or feedback for future endeavors :)
  • Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, we just put out a trailer for our level. Crits and feedback are welcome and will definitely be something to keep in mind for our future endeavors... though we're moving on from this project to begin working on a stylized environment. As always, thanks for having a look

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P4CCkRQJTY"][HD] UDK Environment - Mass Effect inspired realistic environment - Ringling College of Art & Design - YouTube[/ame]
  • sloth452
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Love it guys. It really true to mass effect, great job.
    I think that is just a little to shiny and clean. You could maby use vertex painting to make things look a little dirtyer and mix together seperate similar textures for variation. If you use the world offset position you can also warp the mesh a little to stop the modularity of you scenes.
    Also the hologram shader on the monitor was great.
    Nice work guys.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, this is great, the animations really make everything come to life. I haven't played Mass Effect yet, but now I really, really want to!! xD
  • MJCr24
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Cool environment guys.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    This looks absolutely wonderful, you are obviously a very talented team.
    That last lighting pass really made a difference and I can't wait to see your next work.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice work you all. Nailed that scifi vibe.
  • reaxion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reaxion polycounter lvl 12
    Great stuff, what an efficient use of 30days of student time . Keep it up dudes.
  • JoshC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message