polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Striff polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Hey- so for your prop and texture art section I feel like a lot of your work is too derivative of other artists. Many of the objects in there feel like your own take on other peoples stuff- and that's fine but doesn't communicate much confidence to potential employers. Also, I would avoid putting anything recognizable from a tutorial in there.
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    I think the site works nicely! no fluff, just straight to the goods! : D

The work looks good to me also! nice colours.. my only gripe with the work on show as a whole.. is that i would of liked to see some variation with lighting setups.. maybe something darker and moody.. just showing that you have more control/variety over atmosphere.

Nice stuff overall! : D good luck!
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    Hey- so for your prop and texture art section I feel like a lot of your work is too derivative of other artists. Many of the objects in there feel like your own take on other peoples stuff- and that's fine but doesn't communicate much confidence to potential employers. Also, I would avoid putting anything recognizable from a tutorial in there.

Hey. As for stuff derived from other stuff, my "APC" (Ha, yea I know you did the tutorial for that!) and "Tire" were defiantly inspired from tutorials out there. I would love some examples of other stuff if you could because that is the absolute last thing I would want people to think! Thanks man.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    I really like your texturing! The site is easy to use as well. Good luck finding work :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    It's tough because so many props are mundane/common objects. But that AC unit reminds me of the one pedro did a high poly of. Also that dumpster is familiar as well but I think I saw it on your site before. More what I am trying to say I usually remember people and their portfolios by something slightly more unique or unexpected in them. Your environments are helping with that aspect but a lot of the prop work is of things that are too forgettable.
    I'm also a freak about portfolios as I have 110 of them bookmarked right and check them all about once a week.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    It's tough because so many props are mundane/common objects. But that AC unit reminds me of the one pedro did a high poly of. Also that dumpster is familiar as well but I think I saw it on your site before. More what I am trying to say I usually remember people and their portfolios by something slightly more unique or unexpected in them. Your environments are helping with that aspect but a lot of the prop work is of things that are too forgettable.
    I'm also a freak about portfolios as I have 110 of them bookmarked right and check them all about once a week.

Ha, yea, prop artists don't have as much to choose from as character people do.

The way I approached my portfolio is to get a solid base and I am going to go off and do some more unique stuff now. I just wish I had more time to work on it as I am finishing up at UCSD where I am not studying 3d art so my free time is limited :(

You also might have saw an earlier version of my portfolio and a couple of pieces on a couple other sites where I posted it a few months ago.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    you portfolio looking good :) i love it ... but why you dont add more details on your normal map on photoshop like scratch .. ect ?

good luck
  • Skibur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    The Barrier piece doesn't look as good as I assume it should.
    It looks very flat, which is a shame because the high poly looks great.

The low poly tyre also looks a bit odd... Not quite the same shape as the hp.

I love your stuff though. Who cares if some of it is generic... It shows off your skills well, imo.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Love your work! Very professional! keep it up buddy :)