Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Abandoned Warehouse Env.

Hey first time posting a wip on here. i was referred to post here from a collegue. I am looking to improve my skill. Critiques from brutality, to humble are all welcome.

(NOTE: This is not a complete photo recreate, just used it as a base concept.)
Alpha
6238457633_74dc7a0860.jpg

Concept:
6239052658_d0cf6d6621.jpg

Replies

• Mrandk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello TheDust and Welcome to Polycount!
    What you have here is a good start, first off I'd like to say that your rendition of the warehouse could use a little more color in it. Wether it be small tints in the current textures or the lighting or whatever because at the moment it feels dead.

Second thing is the floor, it is a tad too noisy and the lines you have going where the texture repeats looks icky. If you are trying to make it look like Large concrete slabs then define the edges of the slab in your texture. If not then get rid of the repeating line going down your texture. Your floor could also use more breakup and the board looking things on the ground look weird with that "v" bend, if you must have the warp to them then make it more subtle. The chain looks nice on the ground but having two that look exactly alike so close by is a little distracting. Also make some small rocks or some small trash to help break up your texture.

The chain you have sticking into your beam looks bad, the chain itself looks good but either make the machine it is connected to or wrap it around the beam, the penetration is ruining the work you put into making that chain.

The sky you have is far too contrasted. Honestly i think for something that is not the focus of the piece it should be simpler, look for something with really soft clouds.

You can benefit from some decal materials in this piece as right now the walls look too bare, give this place some character to it.

I assume the grey you have on your windows is a placeholder but if it isn't go searching for a nice glass material network either that or make them plywood boards.

Your outside is killing the piece overall either use UDK's foliage or make some card bushes, tall grass, ect.

I should have mentioned this earlier but THIS thread right here has some AMAZING refrence, it goes over pretty much everything I have said and is full of great links, shader networks, and just generally good info.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74483&highlight=warehouse

All this being said, do not let this discourage you. You have a really good start here and I cannot wait to see what you do with this. Welcome to Polycount!
  • TheDust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Mrandk thanks for the warm welcome. I have taken into consideration in what you have said, i havent got to all the parts that you mentioned, but thank you so much for the critique. That link was mad useful for sorting out things, I can't believe someone esle did the exact same picture with tutorials on it XD. Ill be checking back to that thread often to see how well he did that project, it is an amazing work of art that he pulled through.

I have an update, again, not everything you mentioned was fixed, this is the map as of a week ago, right now im going to be importing some bush cards, making more chain to wrap around the frame, learning more advanced vert beldning techniques too (also any help with vert blending would be appreciated) The glass has a texture, but im having some trouble getting it look right in the material editor, so i didnt include in the screen shot.

again, thank you.

6261545118_e916ee66c0_b.jpg
  • d1ver
  • TheDust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver wrote: »

Mrandk posted the same link ;)

What are you thoughts on the piece?
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    This is looking pretty good. Welcome to polycount.

Are those supposed to be planks on the ground? They are extremely bent, but the curves are gradual and they're sticking together. I've never seen wood bend like that through natural weathering.

The sky is looking a lot better, but the green areas outside really need more love. The grass looks quite black in your render. The ground texture is awfully noisy. The same material is used on the warehouse floor and the outdoor area?

This scene isn't that complicated, but I think it would benefit from having more variation. More types foliage, ivy, garbage, fuse box thing, furniture, paint, holes in the ceiling etc.

How closely are you trying to match the reference?