Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Kryzalida Project

JR
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
JR polycounter lvl 15
Kryzalida_prologue.jpg

Original post: Hi guys. I'm tired to be a sucker, and I really want to go pro on concept art area. So, I wrote a kind of average fantasy story, to serve as background to me. Then I can focus on produce elements for my story, such as characters, environments and props.

I haven't translated the plot yet, and I'll give more details later. But anyway, I'll be posting things as soon as I produce them. I hope I can count on your valuable feedback. Nowadays, PC and Conceptart.org are the only respectable artist's foruns on web. All the others became clones of DA...

Replies

• JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    This is the first char I'm working on. There is four Wizards that controls the seasons on the Kingdom of Kryzalida. This old man represents Fall. And he mounts a gharial, a kind of crocodile.

Fall_WIP_01.jpg
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    those construction lines are awesome, i love seeing raw drawings like that. i like it keep on rollin
  • funkdelic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally, after 3 years of speculation you are finally doing it haha

I'll be following this thread! keep on going.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys! There goes a little up, a first try on Yiyi's face and some color ideas.

Fall_WIP_02.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    This is the idea for the Gharial. Not just an animal, but an intelligent one, that can talk to humans, and do most regular human activities. Although he's a crocodilian, it's not agressive (only when necessary). And it's a good guy, who follows the principles of Bhuddism.

Fall_WIP_03.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Hey! Really cool! I really like the sketches. Really interesting. The first rendering of the character looks good. Looking forward to seeing the full body rendering. The second character rendering looks good, but some color blending with a soft edge brush on the body might make it look even better. Even so the characters have... you know... "character" I mean it's clearly they have a story to tell or they are a story themselves... if that makes much sense ;) Good design. :) Anyway... Does anyone else here after seeing them got an urge to model them? Dunno... Maybe it's just me... Cya! I have my eye on this thread. :)
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a Bhudist crocodilian. interesting. Looks like one of those fish eating crocodilians, actually.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    ta ficando maneiro ;)

keep up the good work, will be following this. curious to see how it will develop :)
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    SsSandu_C wrote: »
    Does anyone else here after seeing them got an urge to model them?

the croco, YES!!!! hehehehe feels like ready for work :P
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys, I felt really glad to read your comments, specially the one about "characters have character". It's exactly what I'm looking for here, to work on emotions and personality in my paintings. If you want to model any of the chars I'm developing here, feel free to do it. Just give me the credits for the concept :)

And here's the final version of the Gharial. Now I can move back to the old man.

Fall_WIP_05.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    The old man render wip.

Fall_WIP_06.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    j-your rendering is getting pretty ridiculous that hand looks damn near 3d.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, this thread is really awesome!! Will be following it for sure, can't wait to see the other characters!! :D
    No critiques from me atm, just keep going!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys. It seems all my studies and practice are being useful, then. I'll post the finished version of this guy later.
  • funkdelic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The croc budhist charcter is really something! conmgratz mate:thumbup::thumbup:
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks, funkdelic. here's the final of the wizard of Fall. Let's move on to the next char. Fall_WIP_08.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Here's a new up. I'm not so sure about this guy... Although I like the idea behind it, I don't know if he is passing the right personality. Any thoughts?

Winter_WIP_02.jpg
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the work so far.

I would say that your concept for The Winter is good but does not capture "winter" very well. When I saw it I immediately thought of wind, not winter or ice or snow. I am unsure of exactly what your goals are for the character so that may actually be what you want but otherwise I would say you should keep working on it. The biggest issue is all of the long pieces coming off of him. Because of how smooth they are and how they sort of sweep around his silhouette they sort of remind me of speed lines like you would see in a cartoon or a comic.

I don't know if you were trying to cr4eate an icicle effect but if so I would make them rougher and less horizontal. Make it so they are pointing down and they will probably work better for that idea.

Keep working on it, it has a lot of potential. I think you really just need to get the ice/winter them embedded more clearly.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the feedback, Dave. The idea for this char is make him look like an ice sculpture, with the boy frozen inside him. Something like this:

angel2_ice_sculpture_fs.jpg

festival-de-gelo3.jpg?w=620&h=400

The spikes emerging from the char should rememeber both stalactites (because of the winter), and bones (to remeber death, because the boy is dead inside the ice creature). The char lives in a frozen desert, with low temperatures and constant snow storms. And he's there form some centuries.. so I believe it makes sense to consider the effects the wind make over him.

These are my reasons for him being like he was. Does it make sense for you? Or it would be better to point stalactites down? I really reluctant with the idea, because if they point down, the char will loose the dynamic feeling he has now... *shrug*
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    This is the plan.

Winter_WIP_03.jpg
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the idea makes a lot of sense. I also really like the new concept you posted. The colors on it do a really good job of conveying the ice idea which sort of "frees-up" the rest of the design to showcase other aspects of the character, if you know what I mean. I think the big issue with the original concept you posted was that since there was not translucency the ice idea didn't shine through as well as it could have but now that is easily taken care of.

I would say if you ever ended up bringing it into 3d or wanted to do a really high detail image, you would want to give them a slightly less even feel.
    icicle.jpg
    icicles.jpg

You can see in that images how icicles are almost kind of "ribbed" because they are formed over time. If you could incorporate that aspect you would probably be golden.

In any case the colors on the new concept really help sell your idea and make it look great overall. I am really interested in the project and I cannot wait to see The Summer and The Spring so keep up the good work.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for everything, Dave.

Unfortunately, I realized that altough the rendering part of these chars is good, they are lifeless, dull and boring. At the moment they look more like models or dolls wearing uniforms than live creatures that represents in fact what I want. So, i'm doing some research, studying some more things about gesture, story telling and so on, and when I feel I can do a better job, I'm gonna start this again. Thanks for everyone who has posted here... I hope I don't disapoint anyone next time.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Too bad... Dropping a sketch here for a character during your studies might be nice... you know just to see the reaction of people to them. If people like them then it's all good. The characters you made are good. I like them. I even started sculpting the old man. :)http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/257/koldman.jpg/ I don't think you disappointed anyone. :) Looking forward to your future stuff.
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I am definitely a little disappointed to hear that. in any case ill be watching for the future updates so come back soon.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Never disappointed anyone man, like SsSandu said..
    I can't wait to see how you improve from what you have done here. Keep at it!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Full of life and inspirational! Can't wait to see more!
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    I gotta keep an eye on this!!!! nice concept!!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys, I think it's time to go back here. I was doing some fantasy chars studies, on my sculpting thread, so I figured out that I could put my efforts back here, on this project. My idea is find my way to do 3d concepts, using Zbrush and PS. So, I made some changes on the plot of my story, and now I think it offers a plenty of possibilities. Hope you like it.

Kryzalida_prologue.jpg
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I reworked the concept of Winter, because the first one wasn't too expressive, without face, and voice. This one now is a kind of hunter, that lives lonely, having just the coldness as his partner. But looking at both now, I'm not sure if I have to change. Maybe it's better to make this hunter an alternate char... Some opinions?

Winter_new.jpg
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, glad to see you're back at this project!

However, I'm not sure about this new direction for winter. This may come across as harsh, but honestly, this new character seems forced and not very interesting. It may not have gone the way you wanted, but I thought the last concept for winter was much more interesting. I'd suggest trying that basic idea but taking it down different avenues. What if there was a more visible face worked into the design? Another part that could be more expressive? I think there's still more options for it.
    Also, when I think winter and solitary, I think more of a wolf than something feline, but that may just be personal preference. Either way, I would suggest going back to the drawing board on this one.

This is all just my opinion though, and meant to keep you moving in the right direction and not get discouraged. Good luck, and hope you keep on with this project!
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    Hey looking at your first winter and this new one I have to say and this is just my opinion that the first one is more appealing and for me convey the characteristics you listed. Tough and and almost intimidating exterior with the ice form but deep inside sad and almost as if he is a prisoner. Again this is my personal opinion but I think the first design was for lack of better word more expressive without it being expressive if ever that makes sense. But then again it is just me interpreting things and making up stories.:D
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The character who has hidden himself away inside the frozen golem was an interesting idea. I think playing with other ways to create that sense of isolation might be a good way to progress. If you wanted to run with the khajiit typed character, perhaps give him some clothing that he can hunch up around himself, hide his face and feel like he's somewhat out of sight of peering eyes. A hooded cloak is your most obvious option, but it's also a rather boring and generic one.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys, I completely agree with you. The Linx guy is kind of generic and not interesting, so I'll stick with the ice statue idea.

I thought a bit more, and changed the concept a bit. I figured out that if the boy was trying to be a hero, maybe would make more sense if his last thoughts before his death were related to something that represented courage, determination and good things to him.

So, I thought the ice figure, instead of a skeleton type, could be the figure of his father. Maybe he never had the chance to know his father, but heard a lot of stories, about his braveness, and how he was a great warlord, helping a lot of people with his abilities with sword and magic.

And, at the moment of his death, his will to help his people was too intense, that he managed to make his magic to turn him into what he really want to be, a hero like his father.

This is just a preliminary sketch, but I think it gives a good idea of this new direction. I made a second version with some metalic parts, to help to guuide viewer's eye. This metalic elements could be the only tokens he carry of his father.

Winter_WIP_05.jpg

I hope this make some sense :)
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    I really like the latest version especially the ones with the metallic parts those would contrast well with the ice material.Maybe adding a family crest somewhere would make the father-son hero thing more apparent, perhaps on a shield?