Home General Discussion

Possible job offer in LA. Need help with salary requirements.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
This would be my first in-house job so I would expect an entry level salary, but I know nothing about California. I ran a cost of living calculator at 40k comparing where I live now (South Carolina) and LA, which gave me $59,315. That seems like too much to me though. What would I need to live modestly in Los Angeles?

Replies

• breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Cost of living is high in California, but there are always cheap places to live too. What I would do is look at housing rent prices (assuming you're going to be renting) in the area you plan on living, and go from there.

Also, its about how much you think you're worth as well. Don't sell yourself short.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    First job: 35k-55k.

(just a guesstimate based on my experience and what others have told me.)

As far as what you need to live in LA, I can definitely help there. Firstly, it depends whether you're living alone or not. I live in a 3 bedroom, less than a mile from the beach in a great neighborhood and only pay 665 a month for my 1/3. If I wanted a 1 bedroom in the same neighborhood I'd need 1100-1500 a month. I lived in a shitty place in korea town for 750 a month (a single). If you're living alone and want a decent place, expect at least a grand a month. A grand won't get you anything too great though.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    40k is about standard for what people get for entry-level here (since you said it's your first in-house job). For rent... it really depends, but yeah, about $1k. I'm paying almost $1.3k for a 1-bedroom, so yeah, it's crazy high. What most people do, and it makes tons of sense, is to rent something like a 2 or 3 bedroom house/apartment (usually a house) with room-mates. It comes out much cheaper. But that doesn't work in my personal situation, so I went with renting a 1-bedroom by myself.

With that info, a $40k salary just about covers it. Doesn't leave much left over after bills etc. But you can live. And again, if you get room-mates it becomes much more affordable.

Edit:
    Aesir just basically said the same thing :)
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    sorry for thread hijack but it brought up a questions for me as well

is a first in house job considered as first job even with like 10 years of freelance?
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    IMO no. It probably doesn't count for as much as if you had 10 years of in house experience, but I would think you would be able to come in at a mid level position if your portfolio reflects those 10 years of exp. I don't know if you'd be able to get higher level positions without the experience of working within a studio.
  • Mark Dygert
    Lonewolf wrote: »

is a first in house job considered as first job even with like 10 years of freelance?
    This tells me you're probably good at managing your self, your time and your deadlines as well as solving problems on your own. All things that can be great selling points. However it doesn't' tell them much about how well you mange other people, deal with being managed or how you interact with people day in and day out.

You could be a crazy wild man who kills and eats anything that moves and has trouble adapting to the complex "high society" norms of nerf gun wars and nerd hazing.

Or you could be incredibly personable and fit just fine. All that needs to be worked regardless but they might spend a bit more time ferreting those things out of you than they would if you where coming from another studio.

So under hobbies you should probably leave off things like:
    "Killing and eating wild game... with your bare hands"
    "Teaching lessons to noisy disrespectful hikers by setting traps"
    "Wrestling your wild bear for fun"
    "Organizing and cleaning your arsenal"

Long post short:
    Probably not lead or Sr material right out of the gate... but having 10yrs freelance, you should have some awesome organizational and artistic skills that would make a good autonomous trencher, who could probably grow into something later, great potential there.
  • stimpack
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    LA. dont take less then 60. seriously. You may think its a good idea to low ball the price just to get the job, but after you pay that first rent and realize you have barely anything left to make it through the rest of the month, regret will sink in.

Also, most respectable companies have a base number for positions, so even if you say 15k, they will give u 50 or 60 or what ever is reasonable for that position in that city.

@lonewolf. Freelance makes you badass at pumping out art and handing it off. It rarely gives you the insite to the whole pipeline and all the extra responsibilities that come with being in house. I rarely get to do "just art". I think freelance does account for something though, so ask for more moneys!
  • EarthQuake
    Lonewolf wrote: »

Based on your experience, and the quality of your work I would say no, you wouldn't likely be looking at an entry level position. Unless of course it was for like, environment or character modeling or something else that you don't have any experience with....
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    stimpack wrote: »
    LA. dont take less then 60. seriously. You may think its a good idea to low ball the price just to get the job, but after you pay that first rent and realize you have barely anything left to make it through the rest of the month, regret will sink in.

From personal experience, if you ask for that much for an entry-level job, you'll simply not get the job. Sucks, but that's how it is.

Studios here pay about 40k for entry-level. Never heard of anyone making anything close to 60k for their first job. Seems like that's just the way it is.
  • EarthQuake
    My first job was 36K a year, I lived in the San Diego area and split a 3 bedroom condo with two other guys at the studio, $1800/m or $600 per. Pay was enough to live on plus a little extra, but I would probably look in the 40-45K range or at least 50K if you're going to rent a place of your own in the 1000-1500 a month range by yourself.

This really also depends on what sort of expenses you have. Family? Student loans? Car payments? Etc etc, generally if you explain your situation to the studio, you're more likely to get higher pay if you've got a family, than if you're a single guy who just wants more cash.

Figure out your expenses, rent, utils, any loans/debt you need to pay off etc and go from there. Shoot a little past what you want with your initial number, so you can negotiate back down to something you're comfortable with. If you want 40K, tell them 45K so you're not SOL when you settle on 39K.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I believe there's a chart showing that the west coast as having the worse pay to cost of living ratio.

I made around $40k for my first job on the east coast until my lead basically said I got screwed and I got a 25% raise at the end of the year - which tells me I probably could of asked for $55-$60k.

Honestly, we are considered skilled workers to exempt us from overtime pay so we should get paid skilled worker salaries.