Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Environment Textures

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
So I'm working on a school project to create an environment in UDK so far we've mostly been working on terrain textures and a bit on tree textures. By the end were going to have a full scene with trees, terrain, ground clutter, larger models like run down houses in my case, and of course a custom skybox

They're going to be part of an Italian countryside sort of scene mostly devoid of human interaction, except for an area or two with run down abandoned buildings.

I know these need a lot more work I'm just not sure the best way to build off them so any and all advice, paintovers, crits etc would be awesome

Once I get the grass where I like it (I've had the most trouble with the grass by far) I'll make a transition texture between it and the dirt.

Grass
Grass_Attempt_3copy.jpg

Dirts
Dirt_1.jpg

Dirt_2.jpg

Tiles:

Tiles_3.jpg

And for good measure here's the start of my tree texture I haven't finished painting all the leaf sections or branches and the main texture still has a lot of detail missing... It's meant to be a Holm Oak tree

Holm_Oak.jpg

Replies

• mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mxlplxn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Xelan101

I love the saturation of color you have going on in these, my stuff is always to dark and desaturated lol

I think all your textures however, could use abit more depth too them, get some darker darks in there, they just aren't quite popping out at me.
    xgrass.jpg

Also you may want to put more color variation into these. For example, each blade of grass is the same color, and each patch of grass is the same color, maybe just add a little bit to it :)

as for shapes/repetition:

The grass has a pretty solid line going down the center of it

the darker dirt has a dark square pattern going around the entire texture, try offsetting it and checking for those

otherwise, these are looking cool, im excited to see these develop :)