Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] –Brent Waller, Environment Artist

Now that I'm actively looking for work I thought I would get some critique on my folio, both on the layout and the content. Also to promote my work and get it out there to secure some employment.

Seeing as though most of it is professional work I can't really alter any of the content, just remove it if it's not up to standard. I'd post more info on here about myself and experience but that's really what my folio is for so please let me know if there's anything not explained or demonstrated on the site.

Anyway here's the link

www.potatoz.net

Replies

• Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Get rid of horrible laggy flash. :] Turn it into thumbnails leading straight to jpgs instead :)
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :( there is a non flash version though if you're on iOS or just don't have it installed it redirects to http://www.potatoz.net/noflash.html however that link I just posted doesn't contain all the headers as it normally would if you were redirected there automatically.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Lots of really fun titles, sorry to hear you have to join the hunt with the rest of us.

Only three things bug me and are pretty minor:

•The resume seems a bit fluffied with every detail of the jobs resposibilities being broken down in the first two positions listed.

•The second thing I don't like is when I click on the picture I have to wait for the image navigation to load and then look for the arrow instead of just being able to click in a general area on the image to load the next one.

• A couple of titles in the games section don't align properly either

Like I said, pretty minor stuff but everything else looks great! I love the amount of work you've got and the variety is nice also. Maybe if you added more personal work in a seperate section but that might be a bit much considering the amount of content that's already there.

Best wishes on the search,
    -Gannon
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I just want to let you know I have DSL and this took about a minute to fully load. If a potential employer is stuck on slow internet for whatever reason he/she will probably close your website.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The non flash version loads faster, and supports browsing via the keyboard. It's lighter to run, more cross platform, and it's more userfriendly -> it's better in all areas. Just drop the flash one.
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon wrote: »
    Lots of really fun titles, sorry to hear you have to join the hunt with the rest of us.

Only three things bug me and are pretty minor:

•The resume seems a bit fluffied with every detail of the jobs resposibilities being broken down in the first two positions listed.

•The second thing I don't like is when I click on the picture I have to wait for the image navigation to load and then look for the arrow instead of just being able to click in a general area on the image to load the next one.

• A couple of titles in the games section don't align properly either

Like I said, pretty minor stuff but everything else looks great! I love the amount of work you've got and the variety is nice also. Maybe if you added more personal work in a seperate section but that might be a bit much considering the amount of content that's already there.

Best wishes on the search,
    -Gannon

1, good point, I've killed the duplicate fluff

2. I'm using a Flash template and I don't know flash I'm able to modify the code a little with some experimentation so I'll see if I can fix that so the next image arrows are always displayed. Or I might just remove the flash version as suggested, not sure yet as I'm a a quite attached to it.

3. I think I've fixed that now, it was ok for me in chrome but IE was completely busted

I don't have a lot of personal work as I don't get much time to work on stuff at home (I have 1 child with another due any day now) Most of the personal work I have I did during downtime at work, things like the forest scene with the bridge, the gremlins stuff (with awesome gremlins models by Ben Southall) and the sci fi bridge.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Trust me, drop the flash. Do a quick search no polycount for all the folio threads and read what people generally feel about flash. NEVER use flash unless you really have to. Most of the time flash is annoying and slow. The fact that your site was so slow and used this flash-layout made me close the site much faster than I would have done otherwise :]
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    I found this to actually be a pretty decent use of flash, I didn't find it laggy, pictures were nice and big. Yeah there's the inherent troubles with not being able to save pictures, and the search engine issues(is that still so?) but really i don't often save peoples pictures if there stuff is good ill just bookmark their portfolio. plus your work very strong, I don't think the use of flash is going to be like "fuck this guy!!!" sort of situation.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff man, maybe divide the content better? by game?

it take some time to load everything till u can open an image

good luck with the job hunt and welcome to the bums club

=\
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    i don't often save peoples pictures

Employers do.

But what's more important than "it doesn't have many negatives" is that it offers <i>no benefits at all</i> in comparison to the non-flash version.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    Snader wrote: »
    Employers do.

But what's more important than "it doesn't have many negatives" is that it offers <i>no benefits at all</i> in comparison to the non-flash version.

yea i saw some guidline and quality standards given to artist including lots of artist's renders, sometime including mine too

and beside i always save cool stuff to my personal inspiration folder

so be able to save pics from your port is very important imo
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    The amount of images you have displayed is overwhelming. They need to be broken out into categories and presented in a less random method. Ditch the flash site, the html site is way better, do the full site in html. In the flash version, I couldn't even figure out how to get out of an image after I opened it because you hide the close icon until you click on the image for some ongodly reason. You are trying to be too clever, just show your work in an easy to use manner.

We also need a breakdown on what work you actually did in those scenes. That is a big pet peeve with employers, showing a scene from a polished game without explaining what you actually contributed. Some guys you'll see all this great environment work from gears or something, and then you look at the description and all they did was promotional screenshots for marketing. You need to explain what you did, and have breakdowns if possible, because if they find they made the wrong assumption or were misled when they get to the interview they aren't going to be happy.
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is descriptions under every image stating what I did on each shot\level.

On the newer stuff it's hard to separate what's mine alone as I was lead environment artist and had my fingers in everything.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Brent!

Maybe separate the pics into rows by game or something. Yeah it'll mean having to scroll rather than having a big page of images, but it'll be a bit easier on the eye and able to quickly go through images of a particular title.

I'd ditch the flash unless you can get it preloading images or something, it's a bit of a pain to have to sit and wait while browsing 1 image at a time. Either preload so they can all be flicked through fairly quickly, or just ditch it and allow the good ol open in new tab thingie... which is what I tried to do first, I spam thumbnails with middle mouse button to open heaps in tabs and get them loading, then just go through the tabs browsing the images I've chosen to look at. The only downside with preloading is obviously that EVERYTHING would need to be loaded, and can't jump to images straight away (that's the problem I have with mine, but I have a different layout that lets multiple large versions be shown, check it out in my sig if you want some ideas maybe?).

Some really nice content :( Miss working with you, I'd say hope we work together someday, but the odds are pretty slim as there really isn't much left of the games industry in Australia.

WARNING: INCOMING RANTS
    THANK YOU GOVERNMENT SUPPORT.. OH WHAT'S THAT? NOW you're signing papers for tax breaks... too late, most of the studios have closed and all the talent has gone/is leaving for overseas.

Pretty pathetic after doing a year of work for a company that contracts for the government, and government departments internally just go, "hey, it's near the end of the financial year, lets waste money doing this project we don't need.".. So they pay company X with Australian tax money, and then never even collect the actual project. The company of course just kept the money.</rant>
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I'd say you have a lot of stuff and you could definitely do some trimming. There's so much to look at it feels overwhelming. I'd suggest making the homepage much more simple, grouping projects together instead of showing off each screenshot on the front page.

Good stuff though overall.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Scrap the flash as other have said. It is beyond frustrating too look at and I know plenty of HR reps who refuse to even look at flash sights.

Your a 3D artist, not a web designer. All people care about is your work, how easy it is too view and how easy it is to share with other members of the company. Your website hinders all of that.

Overwheliming amount of work. Scrap about half of what is there. Go through and choose your best screen shots from the various projects and show case those. Get rid of everything that was done before Viva Pinata: Party Animals. You don't need to showcase last gen work just because you worked on it in your career. You are only as strong as your weakest peice and everything after Viva is pretty weak and shows its age. The newer stuff is great so showcase that, not a PS2 game you worked on almost 10 years ago.

Some really nice work but too much is shown and flash site is always a bad idea. Hope you find a new gig soon :)
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an update on this as I haven't implemented any of the suggestions yet. When I'm finished this city scene I'm working on I'll give it a little overhaul, plus a 2012 showreel.

I will ditch a heap of the older stuff but I may keep a few of the spyro shots from PS2 era as I think they translate pretty well to current day iOS\Mobile specs and the way the industry is headed in Australia that may likely be the direction I have to head in.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Your cool work shouldn't be overlayed by the horrible flash engine. :D
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Cool Stuff man.

As others have mentioned, BREAKDOWNS where ever possible. I think from now on since all your work will be personal, you should grab the chance to seperate your assets and workflows and present them. Highpolies, bakes, textures etc etc.

As a possibility you may not fall into another Lead Position, its good not to leave any skills unproven just incase you need to jump back into the main line!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Out of curiosity.. was there an instructor that advised that you use Flash? Was it mandatory?

I'm only asking, because I'm seeing a LOT of flash portfolios from students, rather than something that's faster, easier, and simpler to maintain/update.

:S
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    your non flash version >>>>>>>>>>> flash version

keep it simple man, just add a resume and games link at the top and i think you'll be all good.

i hate all the flashy shit personally as it takes longer to load and it's actually harder to navigate i find.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Get rid of the flash: This isn't an iOS or installation limitation, its annoying and distracts from your work.

Make the non-flash version your actual version.

Good environments, but you have a lot going on here. I would recommend going down to 5-10 strong pieces and using the rest for follow-ups.
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm not really going for lead positions anyway, I figured most leads are promoted up internally. I don't have many breakdowns though as most of this stuff was put together in retrospect after Krome Studios was shut down so I don't have access to the working files anymore. So yeah this city scene I'll do some breakdowns for when I'm done.

What I might do with the gallery (part from ditching flash obviously) is have it open up to about 12 images to start with with a date range below, ie 2010-2011 and then have a link to another one which is 2008-2009 etc. That way the newer stuff is up front and immediate and if people want to see more they can click through without feeling overwhelmed.

Speaking of the non flash version, has anyone experienced this bug with lightbox, between each gallery thumbnail is a small blue underscore. I'm using lightbox 1, perhaps it isn't present in the new version.
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I found a lightbox alternative called fancy box which does pretty much everything I want it to do and possibly more. I'm just going through and converting it all over now (it's not up yet) if anyone is bored and wants to do me a favour and pick out some of the weaker shots (not just old ones, new ones included) for me to cull it would make converting this stuff over a hell of a lot easier.
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I'm back...again

I've fully implemented the fancybox gallery, you made need to delete your cache if the old flash one shows up still. I thinned out the amount of images a little as well.

I can embed videos into this gallery but I'm not sure if I should leave the videos on the showreel section and leave the gallery exclusively for images.
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Personally I would keep it simple and not even use lightbox/fancy box variants. Just pure HTML.

At the moment in Firefox it tells me there are 80 thumbnails, that means I have to mouse click 80 times to see all your work.

Ideally you want the viewer to see everything with the least amount of mouse clicks.

Personally I would have a nice graphical menu at the start with maybe 5 links (5 clicks) to a single page for each project all laid out, so all you have to do is scroll down.

Also by having all your related images laid out the viewer has better context with the project as they can see it as a 'body of work' in one go.
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it, I'll add your website to portfolio list on level-design.org :)