Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Resume Feedback

Hi, I am looking for some critiques about my resume for a class. I have also included samples from my portfolio for which I would also appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Resume Info:

EDUCATION
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN / Computer Graphics Technology
Focus: Construction Graphics / Minor: Computer Science
GPA: 3.6

COMPUTER SKILLS
Autodesk 3ds Max / Autodesk Maya / Autodesk Revit / AutoCAD / Illustrator / Photoshop / Dreamweaver / InDesign / Java, C, HTML, CSS / Microsoft Office / Vertex BD
EXPERIENCE

Research Project Contributor
  • Assist in 3D modeling of buildings and facades
  • Explore methods for generating realistic models
Account Manager
  • Prepared handbooks based on specifications
  • Collaborated with Customer Service Department to determine clients’ needs
DLC Lab Assistant
  • Resolve problems with software and connectivity
  • Provide customer service

ACTIVITIES &
INTERESTS
  • Chinese Calligraphy Club Activities Coordinator, Secretary 2009 – 2011
  • Chinese Language (Mandarin): 3 years
  • Sketching and Drawing
HONORS
  • Dean’s List – Fall 2008, Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010, Spring 2011
  • Semester Honors – Fall 2008, Spring 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010

3972269_orig.jpg

5079230_orig.jpg

Replies

• IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    I personally felt all the text in your resume lacked proper formatting and needs to be thinned down completely.

EDUCATION
    Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN / Computer Graphics Technology
    Focus: Construction Graphics / Minor: Computer Science
    GPA: 3.6

EDUCATION
    West Lafayette Univercity
    Computer Graphics Technology
    (final mark)

Generally speaking you have the major areas, but I personally would drop the interests section, as well as reworking all existing material. Any none related experience to the industry your applying for should be scrapped. If you don't have any experience related to games (mods/indie) then you probably want to be asking yourself why you don't and actively seek out working with others or doing your own thing.

EDIT: Also your work is at a very low standard, I'm making the assumption your looking to get into the games industry? If so then you really need to focus yourself on learning practical development techniques.

These are a good basic starting point to begin moving forward.

http://eat3d.com/pillar
    http://eat3d.com/texturing
  • trenoIX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm not really going into the video games area, but I am interested in learning how to improve in terms of 3D modeling, lighting, etc.

Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I agree, not a big fan of the format you have going there. I'm no resume guru, but I know there are a ton of good resume-building sites you can find on the interenet which will give nice templates to work from.

What I really would like to critique is the images you posted, mainly the first one. You really need to keep scale in mind. Right now, the house in the first image is WAY too tiny. My suggestion, since you use 3DSmax, is to create a biped character that you can use as scale in your scene. Take the biped up to each object in the scene and compare his height to it. If he's short compared to a tree, good. If the truck is way bigger than him, not so good. If he could barely get a foot inside the house, definitely needs rescaling.

Good luck!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Your objective goes first, than major general skills you know, than technical skills, than the experience, than education, than reference.
  • trenoIX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the formatting here is off since I had it done with tabs and tables, I just listed the info here the best that I could.

Good point on the scaling. I don't think I paid much attention to it since I just tried to match it to a sketch, which was very sloppily done. I will do that in the future!

Thanks so much for the feedback!