Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Sci-fi Corridor WIP

Hey there, don't normally post here but come for a sneak around sometimes... I thought I may need some technical help later on with this little project, and I really want to up my game to a better standard. I've been in the industry for a few years but sadly the games I've worked on have been poorly budgeted/financed and thus the artwork was always doomed to be rushed. I'm sure I am not the only one who has had this experience.

Anyway I saw this image some time ago on a blog - so credit to Julien Cabrera for the great concept, and thanks for inspiring me if you're reading some time.
cryo_room.jpg

Sooo... I'm going to give this plenty of effort and polish to get things as close to the concept as possible, with maybe a couple of minor changes at first. (I'm not too keen on the little pop-up food tray thing, for example). I will be doing the corridor past the cryo room, and maybe a communal-style kitchen/sitdown area (like alien or moon kinda-thing) beyond that if I can reuse enough textures.

I'm aiming to get this into UDK. This is where my knowledge lacks at the moment so I need to learn it properly. I will do an outdoorsy scene in Cryengine after this scene is complete.

So far just done a blockout with a few base textures, nothing fancy. Just been playing around trying to get camera angle right, messing with some verts, messing with the camera some more etc. Everything will be pretty modular, as you would expect. This is where I'm leaving this for today.

cryo_room_wip.jpg

Replies

• petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question regarding the parts of this scene which will be emissive - I was thinking it would be better to have all the computer-y lights, the white and blue lights on the inside and outide of the chambers, the panel above the door, and even the emissive lights in the next hallway all on one texture so they could share an emissive map... but would it be better to have seperate emissive maps to reduce materials-per-object, and save on drawcalls instead? As stated in my post above, this is with a view to getting this up and running in UDK when I'm done.

At the moment I'm planning on using no more than 2 materials per modular asset. Any pointers, crits etc very welcome throughout this WIP by the way.

Cheers
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryo_wip3_controlmesh.jpg

Progress has been slow due to other commitments... but I've just made a start on the highpoly chamber mesh, with a view to make it a control mesh later for subdiv (lots of bevels missing just now). Not sure if I will keep the little arrow engravings or screen yet - was just a little test. I might do a couple of little sketches before I go testing things over and over in 3d :p

So far it's fairly on-concept but I'll be making a few little changes/adding details; nothing major mind you as I like the almost-fridge-like simplicity of them in the concept...

Hopefully another update tomorrow...
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to just get on with some sketches for ideas... not sure yet on which bits I like... any ideas peoples?

cryodetail_doodles-1.jpg
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still not sure but I think I'm getting a bit closer.

cryodetail_doodles2.jpg

EDIT: My preference is with H so far.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I think I looks really cool.
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I is pretty good too... (really should have used numbers eh :p) but i'm torn between the sides looking good flush, and having the grooves there for some subtle detail. I definately want to keep this very clean looking so maybe suits best... I'll go with it for now. Cheers for the input Computron.

EDIT: I agree it looks off on the bottom of I... i also like the 'lines' (not the grooves) of H.... ok, I think I got it now. Thanks Mike.
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryodetail_doodles3.jpg

K last ones... refined H + I combinations. Prefer 1 but not sure about 1 or 2 segment lights, that was just an afterthought to make it more like the concept.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    I like 2 with the lights from 1. Looks sweet.
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like 2 with the lights from 1. Looks sweet.

Hmm, yep I think you're right. Going to go for this now.

Thanks for the opinions guys.
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryo_wip4_controlmeshcopy.jpg

Haha. As I'm not super experienced with high poly, and although this still needs to be run through a sub-div, I may have underestimated the size of my bevels somewhat XD I'll assume these won't be visible enough as is and make some adjustments to make them a little wider.

Gradually getting into the swing of this though... I think I'll be able to speed up significantly over the next few days.

Edit: I realise I've not got the little lights on it yet, looks odd without them balancing it a bit but pretty happy with how the design looks so far.
  • ikillvampires
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about making the detail area on the model a bit bigger. When I see those little concepts I imagined them to be larger.
    Those are some tiny bevels :P
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm going to make the detailed areas a little more noticeable so I get decent definition in the normal map, but I won't be making these particular details 'bigger' as such... I will add in some minor details at the top and bottom of those front panels though I think. Fixing the bevels now :P
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My gran has been ill recently so I've had to be away from this project for a bit.

Anyway posting my progress as I've had some time on this today. I've done a little on the inside as well but needs lots more work on it. Getting the hang of sub-d modelling has been a bit of a steep but useful learning curve for me.

I did a quick render and made some 'to do' notes and sketches for myself. My imagination can be a bit rubbish at times so any suggestions are welcome.

cryo_wip5_subd.jpg

More soon.
  • Dysphory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Petrol> Hi there !
    hey that looks pretty cool so far, where have you been ? You HAVE to finish this ! :)
    (btw, I'm the one who did the original concept art piece you used :poly121: and that's always really inspiring to see his own concept fleshed out in 3D...)