Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DesertEagle

The_hobbyist
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
The_hobbyist polycounter lvl 17
This is my latest workpiece. Comments and critics is welcome.

Modeled in Maya and mudbox.

Tris:1400
Diffuse, Spec, Normal ( 1024*1024 each)

HighPoly

wireFrame1.jpg
wireFrame2.jpg

LowPoly

LowP_2.jpg
LowP_1.jpg
LowP_3.jpg
LowP_4.jpg

Textures
diffuse.jpg
normal.jpg
spec.jpg

Replies

• jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Your pictures are so small D: Hard to see how the textures look on a picture that is less than 300 pixels tall.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    you textured the high?
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY. Yes I actually DID texture my high poly... which I later learn was a totally waste of time. Pretty much had to redo the job on my low poly gun.=(
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Tris:1400
    Diffuse, Spec, Normal ( 1024*1024 each)

HighPoly

Not very clear. I guess the first screenshot contain the low poly AND the high poly with wireframe. Well, the first screenshot is a bit small, hard to find errors.
    There's a lot of waste UV space you can use, so the texture will beneficent of it and get a higher resolution. Can you make a bigger screenshot of it, please? So we can provide you more efficient feedback.
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The texture is allready at highest res. You are right about the waste of UV. I have seen great guys where the UV-map consists of loads of small chunks. I dont know how they do to keep track of what texture part they are actually paintintg in PhotoShop.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Specular really needs love. Less clouds and random splotches. Also ease up on the random scratches, make them far more subtle. Check this tutorial out by racer445 - http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input.

I toned down the scratches in diffuse a lot then redid the whole specMap. In the spec map I removed all cloudes and used more even gradiants for spec.

Render in game engine
    editScreen.jpg

New spec map

specEdit.jpg

new diffuse map

diffuseEdit.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    MUUUUUCH BETTER! now its starting to look like metal instead of concrete. funny enough.. your diffuse looks like it should be your spec.. and vice versa.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah ditch the gradients in the specular texture also. It's like baked in lighting, big no no. You will naturally get shines like that if you setup your specular right. Which will also involve getting the specular power (or gloss if you prefer to call it that) values right. This is often done as a separate texture, I prefer to put mine in the alpha channel of my specular textures.

See how it's starting to make big improvements already though?
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    way too much noise in the spec and diffuse.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    That unwrap HAS to go, to be sure. It also doesn't look 1:1 pixel density. I would focus on those issues before you even thought about a texture.

Also, looking at the "high", its simply not high enough. NEVER make edges like this: |_________| They simply wont show up on the normal map. Make them like this instead: \________/
  • The_hobbyist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh well looks as if I have to redo the whole thingy.

Had to google what 1:1 pixel density is.
    A bit confusing. Does it mean that one pixel on texture plate roughly should take up the same spot as it would in the real physical gun? Or does it simply meen that the textureplate should be equally scaled?

About the edges, I have modeled with a smooth preview in mind. Wrong techinic?
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texel (texture pixel) density is best kept consistent as much as possible.

So having a 1:1 pixel density means the 1:1 with each uv element/shell in relation to each other.

Textools allows you to select all your uv pieces and do it with the press of a button (Normalize).