Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Prince of Dragonstone

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
this is my take on Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, from A Song of Ice and Fire.

rhaegar_1_greyscale.pngrhaegar_1_colour.png

need to:
  • paintover a suitable armour style (must be dragony)
  • make the hands
  • block out the hair shapes (photoshopped above)
  • make epic suit of armour
  • make low poly
  • texture
  • make epic render
  • upload to portfolio
will cross them out as i do them, so you can all see how slack i am...

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    This looks really good, what brush did you use for those wrinkles?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    a combination of dam standard, pinch, and smooth.
  • Sharky85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea this looks really cool so far, do you have a copy of 'the art of georgerrmartins song of ice and fire'? He looks like one of the renderings in that book, which also has some cool armor ideas to get you started =)
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Hey you're off to a good start, those wrinkles are looking nice, but the overall silhouette is a bit smooth and the head was a bit distorted. I made a quick liquify paintover

0iJs0.png

I expanded the cranium back a bit, and brought the whole face down, made his nose a bit less wide, exaggerated the silhouette of his face, and also on the pants where they go into the boots. and finally I smoothed the jaw a bit. Oh and I made the feet a tad smaller.

One more thing :) I suggest not using the pinch brush too much because it messes with the topology. Try the dam standard brush, it gives the same results but isn't as destructive.

Hope that helps! :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    cool, thanks guys!

Sharky - actually i haven't seen any of the GRRM art books, if you can find me the image i'd be very interested!
    daphz - thanks man, i've made some adjustments to the head.

here's a small update, had some time to work on the armour today, no real detailing, just putting forward the main shapes for the gorget and breastplate. i'm gonna have a loooot of fun making the shader for the rubies on the breastplate lol.

rhaegar_2_greyscale.png
    rhaegar_2_colour.png
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks very good so far :D If I would make a suggestion it would be to add a bit more bulge at the bottom of the trousers where it meets the boot and work the same technique you used for the wrinkles around the belt. Kind of a shame the armour is hiding some very nice wrinkle sculpting around the belt though ^^
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well if all goes to plan, the armour can be toggled on and off for two different renders =]
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting choice of character to do, I have nearly finished the first book myself. Not really a criticism of your work. But A Song of Ice and Fire didn't strike me as a series with clich
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Rhaegars descriptions are all given in past tense, usually in the form of memories... except for one vision Dany has (not going to spoil how/why) which is:

"The man had her brother’s hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than lilac."

cercei later describes Rhaegar as being more beautiful even than Jamie, and that when the crowd cheered twice as loudly for Tywin as they had for king Aeris, but only half as loudly as for Rhaegar.

by all accounts Rhaegar was a respected and loved prince, and certainly if there were "good guys" he was one of them (although Robert villifies him). however, that doesn't change the physical traits described in the books of Valyrians (who the Targaryans belonged to) and also that Rhaegar favoured black enameled plate, with his sigil embossed in rubies.

it's not my intention to make him come across as good or evil, just to make him look badass :D