Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Jurassic Park Scene

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
Hi all. This is my Jurassic Park scene. I did this originally for my final project at university but decided to re do it as I learned so much in the process of making the original I couldnt stand to look at it anymore. I am basically replacing all the things I dont like with new shiny things I do like. Here are a few screens. Any crits are welcome as I am being really critical with myself on this one, I want this to look spanking when its done.

Here are some screens of it from the editor. Any crit is welcome but I do have something specific I could do with some help on. The background mountain is causing me some serious performance headaches, not os much the mountain on its own as it is the forrest. The trees are created using a deco layer and a single plane with a 128x128 alpha on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it more performance friendly as I am more or less at out of ideas. The only thing I can think of is mapping multiple trees to a single plane instead of one tree per plane but I am unsure if this would look decent at all as It would require a larger texture which may make it pointless.

Anyway let me know what you think. Today I am gonna make a waterfall throughthe trees, wish me luck. Also sorry for th ehuge image sizes I was unsure how they would look in the forum.

Please note this is NOT a replica of the raptor pen from Jurassic Park. My tutors advised me to greatly embellish the scene to make it something original. By the end of the project this was really linked with Jurassic Park in name and concetp very loosely everything else is mine.

jpscrap_by_aerodyll-d4c5zgl.jpg

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the raptor pen wasn't that close to the sea, in the film or the book.

in fact they deliberately built the island facility (in the book) so that the raptors would be farthest from the sea, since they were strong swimmers and could have made it to the surrounding islands if they escaped.

once the park security went down (in the book) the dinosaurs naturally gravitated so that the carnivores were at the center of the island and the herbivores towards the edges, the raptors built a nest in a volcano halfway between the middle of the island, and the shore (it was very warm and they liked that).
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh sorry I should have mentioned. The scene is based on the raptor pen from the film, however the tutors didn't want a remake so they insisted I base it on the scene but change it a lot. The idea above is that this is Jurassic Park if it the events from the film had never happened. Basically an alternate universe Jurassic Park. Sorry for not saying this, I've looked at the scene for so long I had pretty much forgotten lol. I will update the main post now. Thanks.

The background and cliff and such was added recently because I decided it needed something more impressive and seeing as I was gonna re do a lot of it anyway I figured why not go for it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    okay no problem, but think about security while you design it. you can see in the background that there is another island close by, the last thing you want is your raptors escaping and swimming over to it right?
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your a man of the same mind as me, there will be an oceanic Boom around the island. I was designing a sea life facility to be in the background but decided that a sea life centre with dinosaurs would A - need to be MASSIVE and B - the security would need to be extreme like a sea prison which I decided couldnt be portrayed successfully without making it look like you are overlooking fort knox which I decided would ruin the overall feel of the scene. Its only on paper at the moment but I am working on a design for the Boom which will incorporate man made wave breaker barriers, walled and electric overhanging net / fences.

Also that is supposed to be the same island but i guess I have some work to do on it before its clear.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Good work so far my friend =), I would love to see how far you can take this, and speaking of the book. You should try and see if you can do a scene of the incubation room with all the eggs in it or the Tyrannosaurus paddock.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Your a man of the same mind as me, there will be an oceanic Boom around the island. I was designing a sea life facility to be in the background but decided that a sea life centre with dinosaurs would A - need to be MASSIVE and B - the security would need to be extreme like a sea prison which I decided couldnt be portrayed successfully without making it look like you are overlooking fort knox which I decided would ruin the overall feel of the scene. Its only on paper at the moment but I am working on a design for the Boom which will incorporate man made wave breaker barriers, walled and electric overhanging net / fences.

Also that is supposed to be the same island but i guess I have some work to do on it before its clear.

you know, that's possibly the most interesting thing you could do. most other people will be focusing on the land based dinosaurs and structures as those are the ones whos references are readily available from the films.

so designing a water based "fortress" type structure (in the style of the jurassic park buildings) that houses some of the aquatic dinosaurs instead, could make your project more unique.

biggest word of advice though, something i learned the hard way in the last week (i don't do enviro stuff so i'm trying to learn it atm), is to plan the environment first instead of throw stuff together.

if you wouldn't mind showing your plans, we could critique those too and help you build something awesome. up to you though.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YOu think so? I dont have any plans for this bit as i didnt even plan on doing this it was just somethign someone suggested and I decided it wouldnt be a bad idea. (the redoign part that it) And as for plans for the original they arent really relevant anymore to be honest as the project has changed since then. But what I can do if you like is sketch some concepts for the oceanic building and see what you think. They will only be pencil unfortunately as I cant digital paint for toffee lol.

EDIT - Infact scratch this, I just spent a day sketching some ideas and playing with a couple of mesh concepts but its all either too small or unrealistically big. The only way to have an oceanic dino pen and facility would be to have it way out to sea but having a building so far out defeats the point as honestly it would just look like an oil rig or something. I tried making the boom to go around the island too but its so small and far away it looked a little pointless and scaling it up made it look like something out of unreal tournament. So i think i will scratch this. It would be awesome no doubt but I think it would be a project on its own not as a supplement to this one as in the end this is all only for a background anyway.

I have changed the forrest btw and added a waterfalll, but it needs a lot more work, right now its more or less a test waterfall as I've never made anything like it before so im playign around.

jpdg_by_aerodyll-d4ceax0.jpg