Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unity 3D Sci Fi Bridge Scene

It's funny most other places I've posted this I feel like I've been at the top rung of skills, but here I feel like I'm down the bottom as you guys never cease to amaze and inspire me.

Anyway here it is

and a couple of pics

Bridge_01.jpg

Bridge_02.jpg

There's so many things I'd like to do to improve it, a subtle glow effect around the borders of the front windows, improve the textures, effects and lighting but my Unity 30 Day trial runs out next week.

Also I'm looking for work, check out my folio, showreel and resume at www.brentwaller.com

A special thank you to Andrew Kilpatrick for the animated graphical interface elements on the monitors and Ben Southall for the characters.

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    hey its looking really good. I'm not expert but the only thing I'm not sure about is the variety of colors for the screen displays. You've got red, orange/brown, green, and blue. I think it's too much, perhaps narrow it down to 2 maybe 3 colors to have a bit more unity?
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those shots are so dark I think it's a waste personally because any work you have done I can barely see. If it's sci fi then im presuming they still have lights in the future.

Add some nice lighting to this and sure it will help.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice.

I don't think the lighting is too far off....The only thing that bothers me is that the ceiling is so dark...maybe some small illuminated bits on the ceiling will help a little bit.

Nice choice in music for the youtube video :p

I agree that the choices of colors for your monitors is a little bit of a turnoff. I would say spread the variation out a little bit...right now its kinda segregated.

The characters in the environment typing on the control panels and whatnot is a nice touch.

Also, I think it would be awesome if you dropped a first person controller in the scene and made a web build so we could disect every nook and cranny :)
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually all of those colours were specifically chosen to designate individual departments, green for helm, blue for science and orange for tactical. though I could have probably standardised the colours a bit better, the red one (what you called brown) should probably be the same hue as the other orange ones.

As for the darkness, I've viewed the images and video on several monitors and all have been fine, The darkness was a deliberate decision to try and replicate the look of 80s sci fi films, any brighter would kill the atmosphere.

I recall one of the motto's of early 80s sci fi film production (blade runner to be specific) was "if your image or effect is looking bad, solve the problem with light" either the addition of or lack of.

If I have time on Monday or Tuesday I'll look into standardizing the palette on the monitors to clean up the technicolor vomit.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Oh cool, glad to see you post this here, Brent.
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha hey Chris, I had to sign up again, I hadn't been here for years and couldn't find my old login and password.
  • WetWired
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I cranked up the levels a bit now, though it will only effect the lighter areas, the darks will still stay dark and only on those 2 images