Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [UDK] Abandoned dungeon

Ive been working on a small piece for my portfolio, Initially inspired by this piece of concept art. After thinking about it, I want to push this this scene a bit by making it a bit more overgrown and generally forgotten about.

This is what I have so far, at the moment I've just quickly baked out the textures, put in a few structural elements into the scene and added in some basic lighting.

DC_Dungeon_WIP5.jpg

DC_Dungeon_WIP6.jpg

The overarching plan is to add a roof to the large hole in the centre, with a couple of grates into let some external light sources in. Maybe even add in some tree roots and vines.

The three cells on the left are going to get some bars and shackles, with the centre cell being partially caved letting in more external light as well as possibly some water.

The big question marks I have at the moment is what to do with the large flat area underneath the open section.

Replies

• Anty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anty polycounter lvl 16
    looks promising so far, i like this
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking pretty good so far. The floor texture could use a bit more damage though. It looks like it was just freshly laid with some type of super flat stone compared to the walls and pillars.

Also perhaps you could do a sort of pit or recessed channel along the dungeon like that slimy pit in the concept underneath the skylight.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I agree with Zipfinator, this would be a great place for some vertex blending. Just take your current floor model and deteriorate it some and blend the two.

It would work great for the walls also but in reverse, less damaged. :D
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great so far, although I think the untextured look is part of its strength. Hopefully you're planning on keeping the texturing quite simple to support this.
  • Gryx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replys so far guys. I definitely agree with you on the floor, using some vertex blending might be a nice idea, as is the sewage pit. As for the textures, ill keep that in mind.

Cheers for the feedback :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    im digging the design of the walls. and the pillars look really cool. i agree about the floor. you could break it up in some areas, and add some dirt or water in some areas as well. one thing im not liking too much is the brickwork on the archways. its a neat design but i dont think it works structurally.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looks pretty cool. But the pillar alignment bugs me. The only way a stone could get moved out of the center of the pillar like that is if something hit it really hard, hard enough to overcome all the weight bearing down. And fast enough to move it without taking down the whole pillar.

Then you have several of them.

To be convincing I think the floor would need to be warped, the arches above them would have more damage, The pillars and/or caps would be tilted, etc...
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    very clean work! reminds me very much of diablo 3... in a very good way. keep it up!
  • Gryx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoy there everyone, thanks for the feedback.

Just a quick update - Not had all that much time to work on things this week as work has been somewhat hectic.

DC_Dungeon_WIP11.jpg

DC_Dungeon_WIP12.jpg

Completely remade the floor which now uses vertex painting to add puddles (woo), and added a roof to the main hole.
  • Eastlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it so far, especially liking the water on the ground, how did you get that?

Is it poly painting (if that is what it's called)

Or is it a decal?
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    looks awesome. textures really sell it :)
  • Gryx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guy's, sorry its been a while, been finishing up some client work here and there before christmas.

Anyway main changes being I've given everything a quick texture, altered the lighting a bit (still not 100% happy with it) and added in some quick foliage to get a better feel before I proceed.

DC_Dungeon_WIP21.jpg
    DC_Dungeon_WIP22.jpg
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    It's looking really good! The only thing I'm wondering is what you're going to make your focal point? I see the concept, and I see that some other people mentioned the drainage canal, and I'm wondering if you're going to add something like that in? I also would love to see more of that slimy green look that's in the concept.

Just some thoughts. I know it's still a WIP. Can't wait to see more.
  • Gryx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much :).

I'm still working out exactly what's going into the scene at the moment, all I know so far is I'd really like to do a cave in in the centre cell and probably some hanging heraldry here and there as well. I may add the drainage canal, as it may help, trying not to have too much going on at once in the scene though.

Btw Eastlin, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. The floor is indeed done with some vertex painting.