Home Unreal Engine

Over my head

I work with CAD software by trade, so all this mesh stuff is way over my head. Allow me to explain my situation.

I like to make replicas of items from video games for the purpose of cosplay. I've made many successful weapons from Fallout and Source engine games. I used to make the blueprints by hand off of concept art, but I've since evolved to a much simpler method.

I extract the model out of the game, drop it into blender, prep it i.e. add a light, scale and position, remove textures, and render out a couple png's from different perspectives, with the Edges post-process active. Turns out some really nice stuff, I then take all those pictures, Photoshop them together, and put them in Solidworks where I get some measurements.

I've learned enough about blender to do that, but thats it. I also know nothing about python code, or any kind of code for that matter.

Now my problem is this:
I recently decided to try and tackle some stuff from mass effect. I learned how to extract the meshes with UModel, but I can't import them into blender. There is a community made importer, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I downloaded UDK, but everytime I export anything, it either fails outright, or when I import it, it's empty. I've been looking around and from what I understand, these meshes are 'cooked' which makes them unusable.

My question is, is there anyway to 'uncook' them, get them from somewhere else, or some other solution. I don't make any kind of a profit off of it, nor will I ever, it's just a hobby. I would reall appreciate if someone could help me out.

Thank you for your time,
TJ

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    you cant uncook files from unreal, so you're pretty much out of luck on that one. i dont really know about blender so the only advice i can offer you is look around for some of those websites that have been able to successfully get models out of games and have them available as .objs. i know a few animator buddies of mine found some models from modern warfare and other pretty recent games that they used for animation practice... so you may have better luck with that if you cant do it yourself.
  • Vicanic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, for anyone that may have my same question, I found the answer. You can use UModel to unpack the .pcc, and export it as an .md5, then pull open Blender 2.4, and use the community made script to import the .md5, remove the extraneous data, then export as an .obj, and import that into Blender 5.59.

Just in case anyone was wondering.......