WIP - Island Shrine Environment

[CLICK HERE TO SEE THE FINAL RESULT!]

I've been wanting to do a nocturnal scene for the longest time, and I've spent a long time doing gritty sci-fi stuff so I'm excited for this one.
I had an idea about doing an ancient shrine atop an island in the middle of the ocean, so I went to town.

Here is a quickie dirty sketch of what I was envisioning.

UvHCc.jpg

Im playing around with the idea of rock slabs encasing the shrine like a crown atop the mountain. When I made the sketch I wasn't clear on what I wanted to display in the middle of it, but I started working on an idea I had recently. More on that in later posts.

In the meantime, I started messing with the overall shape of the island within UDK, so this is the shape I settled on, along with a few basic meshes that I speed-modeled just to block things in. You can even see a small preview of what I want to see in the middle.

vWpDa.jpg

Right now I'm adding rock meshes all over just to break the terrain textures a bit. I'll have more progress shots when I'm done placing those.

As an inspiration for overall shape, texturing and foliage I've been looking at these and similar:

7xVE8.jpg

I know it's in a pretty early state, but any observations or critiques of what I have so far are more than welcome :poly108:

[CLICK HERE TO SEE THE FINAL RESULT!]

Replies