Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

medieval mountain path

lincolnhughes
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

just started sculpting a large chunk of terrain that I plan on eventually turning into a medieval path. Let me know what you think. I'm having a rough time putting any fine detail into it, cause it's so big that the polycount in mudbox is already 8 mill. If I subdivide it, then doing a brush stroke takes like 5 seconds. geh. Any ideas?

1.jpgHere's the latest:
1-9.jpg

Replies

• Tadao215
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    cool, i like those shapes youve got going on. maybe using a combination of procedural maps and blending them between masks in a displacement to add details?
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Too big for mudbox? Get a heightmap from it and go into your engine of choice and improve it there using macro meshes and details. no? :)
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    i was planning on using that world editor program (i think that's what it's called). Export it as a height map, bring it into there, then figure out how to use it to procedurally add some detail, then eventually bring it into udk.
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update. Everything minus the rocks are wip. The ground plane isn't the one that was being sculpted earlier, just a test run to see how I'm gonna put it all together. Next step is figuring out how to do vertex blending in UDK for the terrain.
    2-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Love the trees! Any chance on showing how you did them?
    Looking Lovely so far. Bookmarked, for sure.
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    I smoothed the normals of all the leaves using this method:

http://wiki.polycount.com/VertexNormal

Here's a a few shots of the wire frame / textures:

1-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    1-3.jpg

For the branches, I used this freeware program called vine editor or something (the trees were made awhile back) to create a base shape to create a flat normal map from, then generated an ao map from the high poly model , then overlayed a birch tree texture overtop. The leaves are just a picture off cg textures. As for that little bit of birch in the bottom right of the texture, that's actually a bunch of little alpha cards for the birch shavings on the trunk.
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey does anybody know any decent terrain modeling vertex blending tutorials for unreal?
  • Jhburton
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhburton polycounter lvl 7
    3D motive have some awesome vertex blending texture tutorials... some very cool stuff!
    I like where your stuff is going as well! get a skydome on it so when you take pics it doesn't look as dull! keep it up! :)
  • StraightDraw84
    Offline / Send Message
    StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
    Damn son looks slick!
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    here's an update. Terrain blending / textures still need alot of work. I'm not too fond of the grass either. I brought in some simple grass plane geo, but it doesn't light properly. I stole the normals from a sphere for the grass model (similar to the leaves on the tree), then brought it in hoping it would light decently, but had to settle for vertex lighting on it which always turns out way too dark. Any ideas?

3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    oh and also tweaked the lighting a bunch. Now it goes alot more with that quick skybox i threw in. More of a yellowy light / bluey green shadow look. Let me know what you think :)
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    updated the lighting / tweaked a bunch of the materials / created a better grass texture.

started to use this photo for lighting ref:
    http://www.jayweidner.com/images/NumenorStatues.jpg

1-4.jpg
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm also trying to figure out how to create a shader that will make the leaves move. Anybody have any ideas?
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah the latest one is the best, the ground texture is a little bit too noisy, try having a more "Dirt"-looking one mixed with grass for the grassy areas. It's a path after all.

Great work so far :)
  • Adam L. Gray
    Here's a couple of ways to do it that I use in the scene I'm working on myself.

The first one is simple, but works quite well, and I use it for most foliage that I want to animate.

bumpoffset.jpg

The second one is a bit more advanced, but will produce real physical displacement in the world.

Although, it is to be noted that this displacement is somehow handled through the material, so while it will use the mesh wireframe to displace it, it still won't move the actual mesh. So, if you add this material to a terrain, it'll leave a black plane underneath it. And if you look in a wireframe view, you will see no movement. Though it should work properly for static meshes, and will as said produce actual displacement that can be seen from all angles.

worldoffset.jpg

By the way, if you wanted to increase the strength. you might have to multiply each channel of the vertex colour individually. So as to say, multiply the red channel with a 0 0 3 constant, and the same for green and blue. And then 'Add' those together, and multiply with the sine.

These are things I've been playing with myself. So I'm still not 100% sure about them. But it seems to work well really.

I'll write up more proper tutorials on this later. And how you can also use the vertex colour to sculpt in-game assets, while being able to blend materials through the vertex colours at the same time. Also have a nifty one about hue adjustment based on world position.

But that's for later! busy busy..

Cheers
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    wowwwww.... thank you sooooo much. I've been trying to figure that shit out forever. I'm at work right now and can't test it, but still... you're my hero
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Looking pretty so far Linc! Its starting to make my peepee hard :D

Can wait to see some other elements added to the scene to help sell the sense of scale!
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys,

I finally feel like i'm at a decent enough point on my terrain to import it into udk, but the amazingness of it not working is driving me fucking nuts. There's a bunch of tutorials on the net for it, but it just doesn't deform the terrain at all once I import a height map. I've looked online and it says i need some specific format, g16 which you need this program to convert your exported height map files into. So I tried that, the terrain imported but looked like the biggest chunk of shit in udk. Any ideas? Does it sound like I'm doing something wrong?
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I interrupted my vacation to check out this chunk of shit?! daaaamn.

Kidding! nice work man, some cutouts of mountains or lowpoly geo to help fill the horizon would be nice, as well as more clutter on the ground like small rocks and more variation in the grass size to be more organic. some type of flower scattered in etiher a bush or the cracks of rocks would probably look nice, like some white flowers, something subtle.

right now its kinda lacking context, some markers with flags/banners flapping in the wind could be cool, or some type of temple gate or something could be cool as a feature piece to tie it all together.

lighting is looking nice, some mist or water trickling down and across the path could be dope for some nice spec highlights. this would look awesome at night as well with some torches lighting the path and a wicked night skydome with stars.

cant wait to see this when i get back broski, remember.......only the repentant man shall pass...
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    haha thanks for all the feedback dude. hopefully your nose doesn't get bitten off by a saigon whore... lol

As for the terrain issues that I'm having in udk.... I'm totally stumped. I've tried using .raw file format in landscape mode, of course it doesn't work... I've tried using that r16 (raw16) file format for the terrain editing mode, it actually uses my height map, but looks like a complete chunk of ugly shit (the layered look, like it's too low-res). I'm almost tempted to just say fuck this bs, i'd rather just export a 300 k mesh and import it as my terrain with a normal map on it.... Why isn't unreal capable of using either a 16 bit bmp or tiff file instead of some shitty r16 or raw data file? so stupid....
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    so my plan of importing a low poly (50 - 100 g) model with a normal map failed miserably... Unreal isn't capable of importing a mesh that big. Hurrrayyyyy I'm so glad I chose udk instead of ce3 to do an outdoor scene!!! So awesome! Literally all day was spent trying to import my height map into UDK. What a fuckin waste of a weekend...
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    So if I'm using landscape mode to create a terrain, I should use an r16 16 bit height map exported from world machine, with the resolution being 2048 x 2048 +1 (so actually 2049 x 2049), and then it should automatically come up with the number of components / quads per component? Does anybody know?
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    It usually works for me as just a standard 2x map (I've never used 2048, I usually stick to 1024, but I wouldn't think that would cause a problem... Any reason for 2048?), 16 bit. SO yes, .r16

And it should automatically come up with the components and stuff.

Can't imagine why it wouldn't work for you. I just went through again to make sure I wasn't lying, and it worked. Maybe try just a 1024 map? The 2048 would be a pretty big landscape.
    Can't wait to see what you've cooked up!
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    might be abit late to the thread here but have you tried the resolutions suggested by the udn site?

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LandscapeCreating.html

wierd numbers but ive tried 2017 and 1009 from world machine and they import fine. hope that helps, good luck!
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    that g16ed program that you're supposed to use to import .raw files (world machine only renders out 8 bit .raw files, if I want 16bit, i have to render out .r16 files) only imports files under 1024 x 1024.... sooo good. And even when I do that it gives me this:

1-6.jpg

A blurry piece of shit that couldn't be used to wipe my ass... am I doing something horribly wrong?
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    ohh and that g16ed program won't let me import r16 files into it, so i can't import 16 bit raw files....
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the latest. Finally managed to get that shit i was griping about earlier working. Landscape mode in unreal... soo buggy and annoying. Still needs some work. Not the biggest fan of the ground textures, or the super quick steps, or the lack of any small rocks on the path. Still wip. Enjoy!

1-9.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm I'm not sure about the composition you got going there, it's really busy and my eye is tracing all over trying to find a visual highlight and I end up looking at the big rock to the right. I think you're going in the right direction though maybe work some more on the composition, trying to find a nice angle and do something from that? :)
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    lookin cool mang, post a couple more angles and a lil youtube showing all the ambient movement would be dope it looks so much cooler with all the leaves fallign and foliage moving. you gotta find a way to have subtle cloud shadows moving as well, that would really help with the shots of the vista terrain.
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm I'm not sure about the composition you got going there, it's really busy and my eye is tracing all over trying to find a visual highlight and I end up looking at the big rock to the right. I think you're going in the right direction though maybe work some more on the composition, trying to find a nice angle and do something from that? :)

Ya, I just wanted to take a quick wip shot, composition wasn't my main priority for now.

Pixelmasher: Ya good call, i'll definitely try to add that moving clouds thing. A video would definitely show off alot more too eh. Thanks dude
  • lincolnhughes
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a vid out of it. Not too happy with the brightness of the file. On youtube the shadows are super black, while the original is just fine. The compression must've fucked something up :( Any ideas on quick solutions for this?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiCgzXzEfDg"]Mountain Path - UDK - YouTube[/ame]