Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] DarkMatter - Urban Cyberpunk Environment

2shot.jpg

darkmwip.jpg

This is what I've been working on primarily for a while. Basically a sci-fi/noir-ish environment with the 'slummy' area under the main road, with the constant Blade Runner rain. Just thought I'd show a few isolated assets without all the rain and stuff in the bottom image. The total recall-style police car is freshly baked and I've done pretty much nothing in terms of texturing it just yet. Lastly, (obvoiously) anything plain grey or with a UDK default material is not done yet.

Replies

• Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    I really like this scene, it's a big improvement over your previous work (especially lighting), if you don't mind me saying. Couple crits:

First image:
    The wires in the first shot look funny, they're kinked with nothing supporting the kink. Smoke on the right is causing some weird artifacts. the lights on the left also have a weird, contrasty halo. This shot lacks a dominant focul point, this could either be the media/news cylinder (if so, needs detailing: how about a little rain shelter underneath with news terminals?) or something further back like a doorway with a warmer light near the vents.

Second image:
    My fav shot. Are you using cubemap scene capture or image based reflection? The walls/ground have that wet feeling, but a material with running water over it would really add to the weather FX. The light on the front of the cop car doens't seem to illuminate the gound enough, it's super bright but it doesn't seem to illuminate the floor much with its glow.

Overall, it's a nice scene, very DX:HR. Looking forward to seeing more work on this.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, nice work on the environment! It doesn't look cyberpunky though, too clean and orderly. Cyberpunks usually live in industrial, gritty sci fi environments. Will add some more crits later on; good job so far though!
  • Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    More Contrast between highlights and shadows