Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Zerobigsis, Asset

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys,

Hope you are all having fun and inspiring days.

So here's the scary bit (for me at least), I now have an online portfolio that I am laying bare for your C&C

Site is www.zerobigsis.com

I am looking to improve everything and anything about the site/work/layout/content/etc, so any and all comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My aim is to make my work and it's presentation the best that I can and then start applying for positions. I tend to gravitate towards and enjoy producing assets, so I have chosen this as my field.

Thanks in advance,
Zerobigsis / Gaynor

Replies

• jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    I could be wrong, but It looks kind of like the normals on your chair, and wall piece are reversed in Marmoset. Are you baking out of 3DS Max? Otherwise I really like your texturing and what you having going on.
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Jordan. Thanks, I'm using xnormal for baking. Will have a look at what's going on with the chair and wall
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, update to the chair - I have flipped the green channel on the normal (thanks Jordan) and made a couple of changes to the normal map, so hopefully this will read better now.
    On to the wall...
  • lewist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might try re-rendering your rail car. It's a good piece, but your specular highlights and normals aren't showing very well and overall it looks fairly flat. Try playing with the lighting setup and also consider using a different background color.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    You might want to consider getting rid of the lightbox. That extra bit of loading time is kinda annoying, and that fact that you can't easily save an image you like is a pain in the ass.

I'm really digging the chair, but I think a 2048 texture is a bit overkill. I might be wrong, but see what it looks like at 1024 and make the call.
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, really appreciate your comments.

@Lewist - totally agree, I'll try playing with the light setup/colour as suggested.

@darbeenbo - cheers - the lightbox is a standard thingy that comes with Weebly, might try looking at different website creators as unless you use your own code (I'm no good with html) this is the only way I can see to present a larger image other than having all images as full size on the page. Even then you're restricted to the width of the background banner...hmm.
    Re: the chair, have already changed the files to 1k maps and was just about to upload the changes - thanks!

Cheers guys, really do appreciate the time you've taken to look at my work and feedback to me.
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update - so I took Lewist's suggestions re the railcar and decided to revamp it a little as I wasn't really that happy with the colour scheme. I redistributed some of the polys, mainly from the cylinders on the front legs and put some geo on the vents on the rear exhaust block as these are going to be at player eye level. Also played around with the layout of UVs to increase texture area for the arms as I felt that these were a bit low res, re-rendered and changed the colour scheme to match some of the screen shots from Natural Selection 2. Changed the background colour to compliment the diffuse.
    Will now be concentrating on the site itself