Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

kfsps83's WIP

Hey there!

Some friends and I are creating a 3d sidescroller in UDK for our senior project, and we've decided to use Polycount to get some feedback on our work. My first contribution is a sort of flying box van. What do you guys think?

car_1_screenshot2.jpg

Replies

• Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Doesn't look like anything yet. Or a squirt/nerf gun. Get some concept to work from. Judging by generally rounded shapes, look for some cool retro-futurism concepts.
  • Agodines104
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks very toony. like it's from Ratchet and clank, or something of that nature. I don't know if we want to lean toward that. But it's definitely a starting point
  • LeoNp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoNp polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, we need concepts at the top of each thread. Wouldn't worry about the color coding at this point, it's only at the modeling stage. Looks clean. The back rounded areas are a bit higher-poly for quad density, but that's just an early nit-pick.
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Postin' more placeholders. We don't have an overall vehicle aesthetic worked out yet, so I'm hoping the following screenshots will get my art director thinking about it a little more.
    car_5_screens.jpgcar_4_screens.jpgcar_3_screens.jpgcar_2_screens.jpg
  • LeoNp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoNp polycounter lvl 13
    Add ladder, hatches to the bottom 2 to designate entry points, and landing gear.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    #3 Can be made into something pretty awesome #1 Has pretty cool bottom portion with fans, but kinda looks pointless on top; also the fans are too small to support such vehicle. #2 looks like a hoverbike, doesn't look too thought through. #4..meh

I'd say go with #3, it looks like it has potential. Look at pictures of dual propeller heli's and existing concepts to get inspiration, Good luck!
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #1 is really just a skiff/barge/scow whatever the right word is (4 years in the Navy and I have no idea, whoops), like this

http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~slowbell/sillygal_15.jpg

..only airborne :) I know the fans are too small to support such a structure IRL, but I'm trying not to overuse things like jet thrusters. Anyway, I'm going to update with two screenshots featuring the fixes that LeoNp/the professor requested. So here's the bottom one first (I did it first cos it's my favorite - I dunno, something about the idea of a hilariously giant engine attached to an aerodynamic-ish body just appeals to me), with ladder rungs, a top hatch, a bottom hatch, and feet. I also smoothed out some of the edges on the body and thruster.

car_2_screens_2.jpg
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And more detail added to the Osprey-inspired thingus. Softened some edges, added a hatch with a handlebar to the front, a smaller pair of radar domes (or whatever! maybe they only detect missing socks or something) to the upper rear portion of the body, landing gear, and bands on the rotor-housing (to make them look a little less plain). More tomorrow.
    car_3_screens_2.jpg
  • Gcanlas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the little details You added. it really grounds it now. The sphere light things throw me off though since it looks like a face. I end up in a staring contest for at least a minute and I always lose. >:( some suggestions, put them in the center or stack them vertical. or offset them. Actually taking a second look. it looks pretty nice in the first pass. I think its the bar that looks like a mouth that has me..

Oh yeah, with some of those sci-fi cut lines and maybe some greibals (sp?) later on in the normal map will really set this thing off.
  • Agodines104
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. I can really imagine these things lined up in some kind of cargo bay, or makeshift parking lot. But I do agree with the last comment, that the bulbs look too much like eyes. Easy fix though. :) I'd also look at some concept art for the leg mechanics of other vehicles to enhance what you've got going there.

But since this is a placeholder, I'd say this is great for now.
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just one update for today - wasn't really sure what to do with this. I added doors and ladders and a 'cab' area, but I think that the cab is simply too blocky. Suggestions?

car_5_screens_2.jpg
  • Agodines104
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much better I think. But you could easily break the blocky look by thinking in terms of eliminating those harsh corners. Remember the part of our discussion?

http://vertexangel.com/?p=50 When you have the time, try approaching the main shape and silhouette of your vehicle with these types of angles in mind. (i'm referring to the low res ship image)
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Space elevator platform - this is where the level's boss battle will occur, as the elevator rises high into the atmosphere. Again, this is a placeholder. The holes in the deck are intended to be see-thru sections of the floor, perhaps made of something like glass or plastic. The wheels on the bottom of the platform are set into guiderails all the way up the elevator shaft, and the platform itself is driven by a thruster on the bottom.

spaceElevatorPlatform_screenshots.jpg

Also, a cargo elevator for the beginning part of the level, in which players first run into some carnivorous plants, as per Adrian's work (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89541)

The left wall is where the doors will go, and the incomplete wall is damaged, allowing players to see inside since the game is a side-scroller.

cargoElevator_screens.jpg
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more - another go at the cargo vessel.

car_5_screens_3.jpg
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one more update - fixed the sensor pods so they don't look like eyes. Killjoys :(

car_3_screens_3.jpg
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    latelatelatelate
    more placeholders
    doin' mah homework

some furniture stuff for different background areas

furniture_screens.jpg

The space elevator doors, both in closed and open positions

SEDoorFrameandDoors_screens.jpg

And the placeholder for the level finale.

kingSting.jpg
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An interior door. These'll open star trek-style.

interiorDoors.jpg
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one more. placeholders for various switches/triggers/levels/control panels etc.

switches_screens.jpg
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Four today - finally getting the groups assets into UDK

willudk4.jpg
    willudk3.jpg
    willudk2.jpg
    willudk1.jpg

more coming as I get things a little more squared away.
  • ObbieSkinner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks awesome so far! I would love to play it when it's done!
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Obbie!

Here's a post for today. I've been instructed to stop modeling and focus on level design, which is why I haven't uploaded much recently. Last night I was asked to create, for the sake of a group member who missed class, a mockup showing some alpha-mapped 2d planes that I need created. I thought I'd share that here so you guys can get a better idea of where this is heading.

alphaPlanesIneed.jpg
  • LeoNp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoNp polycounter lvl 13
    Hi,

It's your nutty professor. Looking solid!! Great progress. Be sure to have a full court press in getting your tileable textures ready to put on all surfaces by next week. The visual style and art direction will have a nice complete look once we get the first tileable-texture pass in there. Consider some foliage planes that can be tiled and modulated as well.

-Platz
  • kfsps83
  • kfsps83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wall of updates. :P

There are TONS of things kismetted and matinee'd in the level now.