Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wagon texture painting exersice

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
RipNic polycounter lvl 13
hi folks.

I have been a member at polycount for a while, but i have never really asked for feedback and such , and for that im a bit ashamed :P,but im gonna change that now starting with and exerice.

This is a wagon based upon the concept,( concept not created by me )
i have modified it a bit , and filled in " spaces not showing on the concept"

So im asking you for feedback. here is some more technical info :

Info :
assignment : exercise in hand painting textures.

examples : World of warcraft, league of legends, torchlight and etc.) ( that is what i thinking of when hearing the word handpainting )

textures: diffuse and probly specular

attaching some screens with questions.

Q1 :shall i delete these edges or keep them ?

Q2: have i deleted to many polys?

Q3: since the model have several gaps, im wondering what i should do with faces like these ( blue marked) keep them with low uv set or delete them?

and the final image with the concept is an similar idea of how i will render the final modell with marmoset toolbag.

i am not reaching for " Rts" style. if i did i know that i could reduce the polys alot more.

im also started my studies again , so i cannot promise that i will work on this every day. but i will do my best.

hope it was not too much text to read, but I wanted to give as much information of my idea as possible.

cheers and looking forward for some feedback
// RipNic

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    "Hey, you missed a spot. Well, grab a brush and join in!"

Anyway I'd probably delete those edges (Q1) since the concept doesn't appear to have them and I believe you could shave off polygons on two places:

The wheels and the lamps. The wheels appear to be 22 sided (quick count) so you could lower that to 18...maybe less. Same with the lamps, my eyes draw to them almost immediately when looking for lots of edges / polygons. Basically I think you can get away with painting in all the grooves that those loops are for.

Other than that it's practically true to the concept. Good work.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not currently a professional, so I don't know if being able to have rotation symmetrical textures on the wheels is important. With the polygon setup right now I could see someone only texturing one piece of the pie then offsetting all the other pieces. I think it depends on how you would want the boards on the wheel to be cut too.

As for polygons, if you're looking to knock some out removing the poles is a great way to do it. I drew a picture to illustrate:

Wheels.jpg

Right now the interior of that wheel has 20 faces, by removing the pole and arranging the polygons like I showed you can go from 20 faces to 9.

You can do this for every circle on that wheel too, even the middle hub face, the one outside of the main wheel but behind the peg. Since the wheels are probably only going to be rotated instead of deformed there shouldn't be any issues.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Actually, that's 18 faces (9 quads * 2 faces per quad = 18 faces).
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    Actually, that's 18 faces (9 quads * 2 faces per quad = 18 faces).

Thanks. I thought the difference was a bit much when I was writing it up.
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update.

I also want to mention that i thought the concept was a little bit " boring" so thats the reason i modyfied it a bit, changed some objekts on the concept etc.

anyway here is an update
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i managed to get som more free time.

so i did some work testing with the wagon and asking you guys what you think??
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    What exactly did you change? Also, if you put a lattice modifier on your model it will be easier to see what you've done.
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for the lack of information . was too tierd yesterday.

any way . here is 3 diffrent styles .
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Hmmm, well it seems you only want to make a low poly for this, right? In which case, I would personally leave out the bevels, especially if they are going to be that small. But that is just me, wait to see what other people say maybe.
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, well it seems you only want to make a low poly for this, right? In which case, I would personally leave out the bevels, especially if they are going to be that small. But that is just me, wait to see what other people say maybe.

diffuse and maybe spec. thats it.

as i mentioned it earlier i want to improve my handpainting skills. and when i hear the word hand painting i think of games like diablo, wow, torchlight etc.
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello again.

did some "tweeking" and also added a scene

personally i think im done with the modelling part and ready for the uv mapping and texturing :)
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got a bit sick so that reduced my working time.

but i have a question and in need of some adivce.

i look a lot upon others works and texture flats to get a better understanding in my workflow

and in this case i was wondering about how big should my textures be?

Some are going to be tiled and some is going too be unique texture maps.

im not reaching for strategy style, more upon games like world of warcraft and similar.

( sending some exampels on others works )