Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

No one tosses a dwarf!

you could at least buy him dinner first...

*UPDATE:

sliderGIMLI.jpg

Go to bottom of screen for full composite render.

composite1b.jpg

Took 3-4 days, or around 24 hours of working, started off wanting to do something simple then just dragged into it.
Never used splines before, will do in future.

The real struggle was the hair. Still in the process of painting and adding final layers/details:

texturing.jpg

Dont plan to do a low poly/game res version, wasn't my intention, just wanted more stuff for my website, its very nearly up.

Any crits or tips before i finish it? Away at gf's for a few days so wont get back to this till thurs/friday.

cheers fella's :poly121:

ps. i'm so sorry i used lens blur, i couldnt help myself, always ruins my bloody pics.

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Ok so after i cleaned off my keyboard i wanted to ask you some questions

How did you make the braids?
    How did you detail the straps like that!?
    How did you paint the hair in that last pic (guessing its hand painted)?

Thanks! Looks amazing!

Im a facial maniac and I hate saying it but you could have pushed the face ALOT more
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I love all the little details. You went so crazy with the armor weaving I think the face could have a bit more going on to match. What'd you use for the hair?
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no worries, i havent really started the face so far, just blocked out the main features and smoothed it.
    I do have problems with sculpting faces, only done a human face twice before

Braids: were made using splines.
    based them on this: http://kevinjohn3d.blogspot.com/2007/12/creating-braid-in-3ds-max.html
    I cut off the ends, converted to edit poly, and extruded the surfaces out. Then used ZBrush Inflate Balloon at various strengths along the braid and started sculpting.

Armour/Hard surface detail:
    Just modelled a tiny section, used snap to grid, then tiled the geometry into a desired shape. Used a lot of Bend, Taper etc in 3dsmax.

Hair: hand painted. 1st time ive done it properly. I had to UV map the base mesh, edit the braids/hair in zbrush, then go back into PS and hand paint the folds of hair along the paths i blocked out, also using hand painted displacement soon.

Thanks for comments so far.
    I'll refrain from posting more pics until its finished i think.

ps: frell, since this is W.I.P, your mess technically counts as premature. Don't be ashamed, we all suffer it at some time in our lives :poly140:
  • ChristianB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChristianB polycounter lvl 11
    my suggestion would be around the lip area of the hair, its way to thin, gimli has quite thick hair

Gimli1024.jpg

and the colour is a tad to dark are requires a bit more grey hairs but other then that loving it Rav :)
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updated at top of screen.

finished! :D

Took about 5-6 days in total, was at a wedding all weekend and wasted tuesday playing Oblivion. well, i say wasted...

The Composite Render comprised of about 60 layers, some of the cool effects were lost when i collapsed down, still getting the hang of masks, clipping and Layer Groups.

sliderGIMLI.jpg

COMPOSITEFULL3b.jpg

Crit etc please :)
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    wow that looks so good!! The hair is amazing!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    In what software are you rendering this? I kinda feel like the presentation could be stronger, lighting-wise. Modeling, sculpting, texturing looks really nice!
  • ChristianB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loving the head area, but the clothes area feels somewhat unfinished painting wise, like its way to clean, maybe add some dirt/tear to his attire

gimli.jpg

14491607.jpg

Lotr_movie_gimli.jpg
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    really nice dude though I feel the grey areas at the top of the helm could use some work, at the moment they look a lot like cloth, it feels like its not part of the helmet as well, bring some dirt and scratches into it, also it would be great to bring some emotion or mood into the scene, I wanna see him axe in hand, blood and dirt every where like he is in the middle of a war instead of having tea with the elves =D
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was render in ZB 4, the BPR "Lighting" method, where shadow still looks more like AO, i followed tutorials from ZBrush essentials and it still wasnt great.

I can't do anything else to him now other than changing the background, any change in details would have to be painted in photoshop, and i wanted to keep that to a minimum.

this was only meant to be a quick piece of work, i must admit i did leave some areas alone in terms of detail, and focused on others, resulting in slopping work in the clothing.
    (also, i reached 10 million polygons in total in zbrush, with a high resolution i couldnt manage more subdivisions for consistent detail).
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Looks great so far, my only crit is that the skin looks more like plastic than skin. You can probably fix that with a spec map or possibly just sculpting pores.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Looking nice, keeping an eye on this one :)
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decided my zbrush skills with faces (and other areas tbh) were rather behind, so been doing some sketch-sculpts.

My last female face was a disaster, this one at least looks feminine, if a little cross eyed. TOok 3 hours

Depp, well, it looks kinda nice, but it doesnt look like him enough, and i realised the shirt sculpting was terrible. Lazy
    Took 6 hours

quickfemale.jpg

ZsketchDepp.jpg

Obviously not gonna do anything to Gimli now, aside from presentation. I know of no way to save a camera angle in zbrush, well it doesnt even have cameras, and i'm not wasting another day doing render passes.
  • ChristianB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its never a day wasted doing nice presentations renders :P, for the female you need to use reference more she has a very very strong jaw line, think curves with females rather then squares atm she looks like she has been beating with a man fugly stick. For the johnny one, i think your proptions are kinda off throwing off the likeness and also the hair
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Damn Aeryn, where have you been son?! This is about a tenfold improvement over your last work I saw, bang on job man!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Nice stuff! Gimli and Depp are looking good, but the woman needs a lot of work. But yeah, you have to know when to call it finished and move on to something bigger and better.

just so you know, if you save out a .zpr (zproject) it saves the camera angle.. I think. :D