Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIPS: Steampunk Room

Hey there, working on a room environment for a class. Problem is, I've discovered I'm more deficient than I thought I was considering my year. So I was referred to Polycount for the critiques I actually need verses the continual sugarcoated stuff offered in class.

In the case where there are two models, one is the high poly I came up with and the other is the proposed low-poly. I plan on using XNormal to normal mapped, as recommended by a classmate. Never done that before, planning on looking up the tutorials on here for it.

1st draft concept/proposal

steampunkconceptcopy.jpg

tumblr_lseqy0tubl1qjrtydo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1317605118&Signature=CpnRNxpVxq%2BjI4zACXx%2BgB%2B%2FTqs%3D

tumblr_lseqy0tubl1qjrtydo3_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1317605138&Signature=bW6vaDE559hIEosbi5xzmEMcj8A%3Dtumblr_lseqy0tubl1qjrtydo4_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1317605157&Signature=VJT5TZadDEiBSjmrsgREEgmLnTI%3D

tumblr_lseqy0tubl1qjrtydo5_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1317605186&Signature=Ccb%2Fa%2BJcOcavRX0DAs0Mv5UIpak%3D

tumblr_lseqy0tubl1qjrtydo7_r1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1317605203&Signature=LehJ2uk61ozb%2BEit5AVvbgbPMuM%3D

tumblr_lseqy0tubl1qjrtydo8_r1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1317605224&Signature=ZBzrF5OCJuG3fDWAJkbexOYhB54%3D

Don't mind the awkward l-shaped bit there, was planning on making some bricks in Maya and then Zbrush to normal map onto the wall. Too much work? Should I just use the texture map like I've done in the past?

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing about this concept really says Steampunk, it looks more like a college dorm room with some wallpaper. Take a look at some 18-19th century interior design, and mash it up with the usual steampunk aesthetic. A real easy thing to add is freizes along the top and paneled trim along the lower quarter of the walls.

It looks like you're trying to keep a compact scene, and if that's the case, I'd ditch the bed in lieu of a bigger workbench, since you've got schematics on the wall.
  • Jimmg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmg polycounter lvl 5
    Get some pipes coming out of the ceiling and into the wall. Maybe some clockwork too.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Needs more gears and pipes. :)

Think of function vs aesthetics as well. You can place gears and pipes where they would make sense or you could place them in areas to make it look cool. Just have fun with it. :)
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    First off, there are 2 kinds of steampunk - victorian and industrial. Victorian focuses on architecture and beautiful design/patterns. Industrial is more sci fi, focuses on raw mechanics, pure functionality. Now decide which one you want. For an industrial sci fi strip off brick wall with wallpaper, why do you need a naval high pressure window, when there is no water to deal with? Replace it with welded/studded metal panel walls. Remove the hardwood floor and replace it with metal non-slip panels. Set that bedframe on fire and replace it with some uber metal bedframe suspended on chains. Have some pipes coming in and out of the room. Make that table a more functionable work-bench with some cool tools that would make a person more efficient. Of course there are cases where you would mix the styles, but that wouldn't work in this case. Good luck!
  • WildeNightingale
    Well, I was rather hoping for a critique on the models and not on the concept, as the concept was already approved by the professor for being of manageable scope (I only have 10 weeks, 8 now) but as pipes should not be unmanageable I might add them.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Fix the project after you are done your schoolwork then, as of now, the concept is not industry competitive...
  • Dr Stench
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What kind of school/college are you going to? the professors don't seem very professional in terms of visual art.