Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Member-Feedback on car model

So hi there everyone, I've been lurking for some time and have decided it's about time to post something and start working on my 3d in earnest.
So I shall start right away by posting my model of a Lancia Stratos. I've been sitting on it for a while and was wondering if you could give me any pointers. Its more for rendering stills than any actual in game use or anything like that and is made up of lots of separate objects. Still I would appreciate feedback on what should be done if it were to be used inside of an engine.
My biggest concern is topology. I always feel like I can be doing something better. Well, thanks for any critiques and I'm glad to be finally posting.
Following are: a shaded render, clay wireframe, and two clay wire frames with turbosmooth turned off (it's at two iterations, is that unnecessary?)
Also, I'm using 3DSMax and have a .obj exported if anyone wants to tear it apart, you guys seem like a trustworthy bunch. Thanks guys.
6196734201_ff34e1fd2f.jpg
stratosrender by lordmango, on Flickr
6196734215_4001ab9878.jpg
stratosrenderwire by lordmango, on Flickr
6197249318_6983d88b69.jpg
stratosrenderwirelow by lordmango, on Flickr
6197249334_af50f8a776.jpg
stratosrenderwirelow2 by lordmango, on Flickr

Replies

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    It looks pretty good in hi poly. And as for having it at 2 iterations, it wouldn't matter on high poly, so long as it doesn't give you problems. I can see where topology might be issue in some areas.

I believe you're NURBs modelling in a way if your utilizing turboSmooth to create the high poly?
    For this situation, since you have somewhat of a low poly, I'd make a copy of it and clean it up to be a better low poly, while keeping the same shape. This way you can bake the hi to low.

I don't see any problems with the high poly either, no strange warps or awkward curves.

It could definitely use a bit more detail for character, subtle touches such as a bit of dirt or dark/light wear near the bottom. Maybe even a slight more shine on the rims? (They, as well as other black parts look a bit too flat)

Try using an HDR or a skydome setting to get interesting reflections too, but that's more of a preference than anything.

It looks good Mr. LordMango. I never saw any problems with the 3D right away, nor when I look over it more-so. Just some cleanup on the low poly, but the high poly looks clean.

Might want to take a look at how car games prepare their in-game models. I was never a fan of them, but I did enjoy wrecking havoc in the GTA series, and their cars are designed to get damaged.