Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low poly ADF Soldier

Hello all, i'm a first year game art student from Australia and a long time lurker, first time poster. For one of my projects i am doing a low poly ADF (Australian Defence force) soldier. I am modeling, Uving and texturing the guy and will eventually rig it. (Not a project requirment but i would like to anyway).

With specs my poly count is 3000 tris and i'm limiting myself to one 512 diffuse texture.

Concept wise i wanted to be pretty acurate with the current kit used in the middle east. Luckily there's a lot of good reference on the war memorial website. I also made up some orthos to help with the modeling.

ss.jpg

LP_solliecopy.jpg

Here's where i'm at so far with the modeling. I'm sitting at 2909 tris so i have room for a little more detail (probably around the vest area i should think).

sollie.png

Sooo what i'm looking for is any advice specifically to do with character modeling and crits on my work thus far. So if you have any that'd be awesome. I'm most interested in character modeling so i really want to improve as much as i can :)

Thanks!

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Be sure to mirror all the parts that you can later on in the UV-stage to get the best resolution you can get out of that 512x512. Solid modelling, a few tweaks here and there is needed though, like the knee, what happens when that joint is bent? etc.

I think there are some tutorials for low-poly modeling around here somewhere. :)
  • camza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always good to see a fellow Australian on polycount :) What school are you studying at?

Character artists please correct me if i'm wrong but that shoulder topology may need a revisit otherwise you may get some trouble posing it.

It just doesn't look right to me.

ShoulderTopology?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=BenMathis_shoulder_deform.jpg

http://wiki.polycount.com/ShoulderTopology
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    yeah -nice to see another aussie join the pc ranks!

good start so far - i'd echo camza's post about shoulder/elbow and leg topology, if you're gonna animate/pose, you'll need to fix up those areas.

minor crit - the knee pads/legs look a bit thin - i know they contract around the knee, but probably not so much (unless he's a bit skinny/lanky/malnourished..)

get cracking mate! (for a first char - I know it probably won't be perfect/omg awe inspiring, but practice make perfect - get some critique from your classmates and tutor, and make sure you work on it out of class as-well if you can).
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scrnshoot.jpg

Yeah so it's been a while D: Downside of studying is having to focus on about 5 different projects at a time ha ha. In any case thankyou so much for the advice, i really hadn't taked in that kind of topology into account so that's really helpful. Those links were invaluable. I've tried to re topologise to the best of my ability. Like achmedthesnake said it's the first so it's not going to be OMG wow just yet, but i'm cool with that. You don't learn unless you make mistakes.
    Anywho I've begun UVing it as the ever present deadline looms so the modelling part is over (unless there is somethig massivly askew! ha ha in which case please let me know!) Hopefully i will post a bit more becasue this feedback is very useful and i appreciate you guys taking the time to help :)

Ploycount's sitting at 2990 by the way.
    Also Camza, i am studying at TAFE in South Australia : )
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP_1-1.jpg

Update: just beavering away at the texturing now, man using just a 512 is harder than i thought! ha ha anyway the entire bottom half is untouched for now and there's still a lot to do on the top half as well. The mirroring is quite obvious on the botton half, especially wih the camo pattern D: I was wondering if anyone knew any tricks to help with this besides not using mirrored UVs?
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ro-zee, great looking model. I'm not sure if you want to add more geometry, but maybe you could model a gun holster strapped to the leg. This would help break up the obvious mirroring and camo pattern. Something similar to the pic below.

troops_wideweb__470x3652.jpg
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the idea sketch81, i was/am at my limit with geo though unfortunately D: In anycase the deadline has come and gone so here's my finished submission. There's a few things i'd want to touch up but i'm happy right now, and learnt HEAPS! Expect some more character modelling threads from me :P

Finalpresentation.jpg
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7