Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Polycount newbie looking for honest feedback

[FONT=&quot]Hello everyone, my name is Breese and I'm new to the polycount forum. I'm a graduate student at the Academy of Art University and I'm majoring in Game Design. My undergrad is in Industrial Design, so I want to learn how to use my technical 3D CAD skills within the world of 3D videogames.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Our assignment this week is to post a few images of what we believe is our best 3D model and ask for honest feedback. This assignment will help me understand my weaknesses and how I can improve my 3D modeling skills. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So , here is a model of a Lamborghini Miura concept car that I created in Maya a few months ago. If anyone has a few minutes, could you post a few comments (good and bad) about my 3D model? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks and I appreciate your time![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]21738996.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]21738997.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]21738998.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]21738999.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]21739000.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]21739001.jpg
[/FONT]

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Well for one it's not game-art. The modeling itself could help you when baking normalmaps, but this thing is not very useful towards becoming a game artist if it's just a software rendered highpoly model.

It looks like you've got the flow and modeling down nicely though. Can't tell for sure without a wireframe, but sure looks better than the average car a student would make (aka molten bumpfest).
    I guess the biggest flaw to me is the not very appealing render quality... it looks cheesy and very 90's.
    It lacks some refinement in details and the tire displace is a bit pixelated.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Agree with Xoliul not really game art, but if I where you I would improve the render, reflective objects looks really dull with a black environment and a checker floor.
    I would setup some nice studio lighting with a soft curved backdrop.

Found a tutorial here for you, but if you take the time to search on general studio lighting
    on Google you will find tons of information.
    http://cgcookie.com/max/2010/04/29/car-rendering-techniques-part-01/

Good luck, keep us updated :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    The tyre tread looks inverted and the quality of the texture looks quite low especially on the lettering. As this is a high poly model you should model the tyre tread (not the text though, improve the image and normal map that). The alloys look pretty good though. The car itself looks ok but the texture needs work.

Is this the car or are you doing your own take on the concept
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cp=17&gs_id=4&xhr=t&q=lamborghini+miura&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1477&bih=874&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=lamborghini+miura+concept&pbx=1&oq=lamborghini+miura+concept&aq=f&aqi=g2g-m1g-S1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=5405l6972l0l7563l8l7l0l0l0l0l291l1462l0.4.3l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=7b43880e3b40f953&biw=1477&bih=874
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with what was said above. But also would like to point out that your car is missing side view mirrors and a pair of front railings that would support the roof and the windshield. As far as the render goes, the car looks very stale and not realistic. You should add some basic environment to the scene (weather its curved backdrop or a underground parking). Other than that, pretty good modeling. When going ahead with game art, always keep in mind the realism factor (how many times have you seen a car rolling down the street without any scratches, dirt, markings, or faded paint?) Good luck!
  • CooLBreeZe78
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for your feedback!

I have a couple quick questions. Are game artists different than a 3D Modelers.... or is everyone that works in the art department at a game studio called a game artist? I'm asking because our instructor split the class up into 3 sections (Concept Art, 3D Modeling, and Game/Level Design). I'm trying to become a 3D Modeler within the game industry, so that's why I posted these high poly car renderings to try and mimic the cars on games like Need for Speed. Those cars look like high poly models.... or are they?

I also see everyone's point about the low quality of the tire tread, the floating black background, and the lack of structure around the windshield area. I didn't even notice that. Another good point was made about adding scratches, dirt, and other markings to make the model look more realistic. This was my first attempt to create a car in Maya, so I will continue to refine it some more. If it matters at all, here are a few screenshots of the wireframe.

Thanks again!

[FONT=&quot]21739002.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]21739003.jpg
    [/FONT]
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Honestly, dont listen to anyone that says it isnt game art. If they truly believe that, they have been living under a rock the past year or two when it comes to racing games *coughGT5cough*.

in studios though, it really varies depending on the studio. Usually programmers will say "the artists", but they are usually broken up into different disciplines. Modeller, texture artist, animator, rigger (sometimes known as a technical artist), concept artists, level artists, etc. Theres lots, though, You`ll usually only find it broken up like that in larger studios. Its more common to find modellers that do texturing as well, or animators that do rigging as well. level guys that do modelling as well. some places will have generalists that do it all. Do some research and you`ll find its different everywhere.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    First of 3D modelling is a basic for game art(you make stuff); I'm guessing that your group will be split into Environment art, Character art, Props, Texture artists, etc.. It is a fairly high-poly model for a game (for general setting; seen games with insane polycount). Normal maps are used to fake details that lowpoly models will lack. Look more into texturing for games, it is equally important as modeling and presenting your work. Also, if you have 3ds Max available for work, I'd recommend using it for modeling(Most game studios use 3ds Max for game modeling). Good luck!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    It sounds to me like you (and possibly, your teacher) don't know a a lot about game art. Thats cool though, we all start somewhere and polycount is the best place to start.

I suggest you research game art and game art workflows. Game art encompasses just about all forms of digital art. From concept art to3d modelling to animation, etc, etc, etc.

The cars in Need for speed are actually low poly. Vehicles are usually about 100K polys (someone can correct me if im wrong). The type of modelling you are doing looks to me like sub-d modelling. Meaning you create a mesh and smooth it in the software you created it in (eg maya, mental ray). Modelling like this doesnt work in game engines as game engines dont support smoothing (yet, maybe one day).

look for 3d vehicles for games tutorials, etc. tutorials that cover high and low poly modelling and also texture baking (normal mapping)
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Where's the door handle?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.