Home General Discussion

Do you start with the funnest part of a model or the most boring?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
To start off my highpoly models, I've been modeling the most boring parts/harder parts first, then moving on to the more fun/less complicated parts. My theory for staying motivated is to get the tedious stuff out of the way, so all that's left is the easy, fun stuff. (Not to say that the easy stuff is always more fun, but you get my drift.)

Lately I've been thinking maybe I should start with the fun stuff, and later my motivation for the boring stuff will come from my progress so far.

This is probably a weird question to begin with, but I'm curious how other people work.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    start with the left eye. Move outward.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Good stuff.

I don't necessarily approach tasks in terms of fun/boring, as it's usually very mixed depending on the shape/style/concept. Normally, if I'm just doing a prop, I'll start with the bigger, most important shapes and work my way to the cool little details. Rarely though, I like to "free-style" and jump from place to place and just try to enjoy every piece of the puzzle.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    I have the bad habit of in-game iteration testing. I gain too much satisfaction from just seeing my work in-game. I like making a mesh, putting it in-game without a texture or an unwrap just to see how it looks, and then I'll tweak it, check it out again. Repeat that about ten times. Then I'll unwrap it, slap a shitty placeholder texture on it, and check it out in-game again. Repeat that about ten times.

So in my case, I give in to the 'fun' bits and it hinders my work as a result.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn wrote: »
    Good stuff.

I don't necessarily approach tasks in terms of fun/boring, as it's usually very mixed depending on the shape/style/concept. Normally, if I'm just doing a prop, I'll start with the bigger, most important shapes and work my way to the cool little details. Rarely though, I like to "free-style" and jump from place to place and just try to enjoy every piece of the puzzle.

I don't actually jump around either. I've been doing mechs, so I'll start with the feet and go up. Legs are usually a lot more complicated because you've got to worry about joints and everything's at an angle.

I probably should work more like you though- global details first, then work my way down to the small stuff, but I've always just moved from one piece to the next.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think any part of modeling is necessarily fun, or boring. Im pretty much neutral, but I do it for that moment when I zoom out and go "this looks really good", zoom back in, repeat.

Well I take that back. I think doing small simple details is fun because it adds so much to your work.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me modeling anything over all is fun but i usually start with the essayist pieces to keep from slacking and getting off track unless im seeing progress my mind aborts the mission early in the process
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me modeling anything over all is fun but i usually start with the essayist pieces to keep from slacking and getting off track unless im seeing progress my mind aborts the mission early in the process

Yeah, I'm thinking I should give that a go.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I usually go from simplest large forms down into the more detailed parts. I start with doing the basic shapes of the entire piece then go over it again with more detail and clean up and again with more detail until I feel its finished.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Big gestural forms always first, then I work my way down. Whether it's fun or not to do is irrelevant to getting the right shapes.