Home Technical Talk

Unity: textures looking bad vs maya

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Mambo4 polycounter lvl 6
I'm new to unity, troubleshooting my 3d prop modeling process.
I'm having trouble getting my nice diffuse and normal textures to look good in unity

textures_maya_vs_unity.jpg

using the same 1024 x 1024 jpg images , one for color and one for normal map.

In Unity i'm using a bumped diffuse material

It looks much better in Maya (top).
In unity the pixels are being re-sampled or something?
Is this a material parameter(s) I must control? If so which?

oddly, the jpgs seem to hold up fine in Unity's material preview:

textures_maya_vs_unity2.jpg

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    dont use jpegs, use tga or png, make sure to check your compression texture settings. Your normal map compression gotta be nmap compression, not default. Check for the resolution settings too. Might be less than your source file.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ This

Also
    eTE8s.png

Have this set to Full Res for your current preset
  • Mambo4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mambo4 polycounter lvl 6
    Like I said , I'm new to this so please bear with me.
    use tga or png
    pngs look marginally better but still something is hosing the texture.
    make sure to check your compression texture settings. Your normal map compression gotta be nmap compression, not default.Check for the resolution settings too. Might be less than your source file.

where do I do this? what must I select in the project tab in order to access these parameters in the inspector?

same question for MadnessImport...can't seem to find that inspector page you screengrabbed by selecting the objet, material or texture in the project tab.

Does it matter that I don't use unity pro?
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    I have no idea if using Pro or not makes a difference since I've only worked with pro, but If you select a texture file (texture, not material!) in the project tab, the inspector should let you adjust the import settings for each texture. Changing aniso level and filter mode might make a difference, and as stated before, max size and compression.
    Make sure the texture type is set to normal map while you're at it ^^

And the settings posted above are from Edit/Project Settings/Quality, not from a single tex/mat
  • Mambo4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mambo4 polycounter lvl 6
    I double checked all the settings they seem correct:

Texture Type: texture (normal map for normal map png)
    Max Size: 1024(matches png)
    Format: True color

I set the Project Quality dispaly as shown above.

I am beginning to suspect that there is some aggressive mip-mapping going on.
    when I zoom in very close, the texture appears to approach the actual png resolution, which I can see at any zoom in maya.
    But in unity I have to soom in too close to see the whole prop... so It's no good for reviewing purposes.

can I adjust the mip mapping so I leaves the textures nice?...or is it even wise/part of standard workflow to be doing this?

I just want to be sure it looks good in unity, and be able to get a decent screen grab.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /Removing

I cant remove this post :(
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Yes you can ajust the anisotropic filtering in the texture properties. Or disable mipmaps completely (not a good idea). And the best image format to use is PSD because you dont have to mess around with exporting useless flattened images. Also photoshop doesnt handle png alpha correctly.
  • Mambo4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mambo4 polycounter lvl 6
    Yes you can ajust the anisotropic filtering in the texture properties. Or disable mipmaps completely (not a good idea).
    adjusting the anisotropic filtering on textures in the inspector produces no noticeable differences in the scene view, game view, or object preview window. Textures still look blurred/filtered , yet only when applied to the prop....looks fine in texture preview or material preview...

And the best image format to use is PSD because you dont have to mess around with exporting useless flattened images. Also photoshop doesnt handle png alpha correctly.

so you use a different PSD file for each map (texture & normal) ?
    isn't PSD huge compared to a png? won't that bloat your project directory?
  • Mambo4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mambo4 polycounter lvl 6
    could a non-uniform UV layout be the culprit? My map is squashed a bit along the barrel so that round areas are ellipses...but the grip UVs are more uniform and actually looks ok...

nausicaaRifle_wip17.jpg

even tho it looks smashing in Maya, maybe unity uses the UVs to decide how to mipmap/filter stuff?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    NEVER STRETCH UVS LIKE THAT!!!
    Horrible, bad, bad, bad, notice how the texture looks blurred in one direction? but looks okay-ish at the handle and butt?
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    In the project tab, find the texture.

Change the texture type from texture to advanced.

There, you have access to mip map options. Turn it on or off, adjust the strength and type (Kaiser/Box, I think). Also make sure the resolution is right. At the bottom, maybe change from DXT1 to something else; sometimes DXT1 can mess up a texture because of it's compression type (bright or dark textures with large smooth gradients or small detail can get messed up a bit). Make sure your texture filtering is bilinear or trilinear (whichever you can afford) and set the aniso to something reasonable.

Then go through your normal map texture, change that from texture or normal map to advanced. Then have a look at your normal map settings - make sure it's marked as a normal map, but not generating a normal map (if you hit generate it does the same thing as the nVidia Nm filter in PS).
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Mambo4 wrote: »
    so you use a different PSD file for each map (texture & normal) ?
    isn't PSD huge compared to a png? won't that bloat your project directory?

you need to keep a psd somewhere, why not in the Assets directory and bypass a huge time sink of exporting a useless flattened tga. All you have to do it pres ctrl+s and you can see your texture changes ingame instantly. PSD's have a flattened version of the image in the file so importers can simply load that while ignoring the layers, which is what Unity does.

On the other hand Max and Maya files should not be put directly in the Assets folder because they require their respective software to import. That causes problems if you try to load the project on a computer without the software, or with an older or newer version of the software. For a larger production you would probably want some Max or Maya tool for quickly exporting to the correct Assets/ path with a hotkey to bypass the manual export process.
  • Mambo4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mambo4 polycounter lvl 6
    NEVER STRETCH UVS LIKE THAT!!!
    I was afraid this was the case. Guess i need to go back and remap the UVs. ugh...
  • Mambo4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mambo4 polycounter lvl 6
    Fixed the UVs, that did the trick:
    textures_maya_vs_unity3.jpg
    textures_maya_vs_unity4.jpg