Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP base mesh (Need critique/help please)

Hello there all.
I've sculpted before using other people's base meshes so I figured I'd try and make my own.
All in all I'm pretty happy with it considering its my third model ever (a crate and barrel being my first two, :poly124:).
But I'm hoping you fine gents might be able to help me improve my topology.
basemesh.png

Some points of interest that I hope you can help me with:
  • The model has 4 tris that I've been unable to turn into quads (2 on each hand).
  • From the front the shoulder joint looks like a tri but its actually a quad.
  • I have a few "poles" - on the feet, hands, and shoulders.
  • I think I can probably shave off a few edges on the torso?
  • The back of the neck seems to have too many polys.
  • He has no butt although it still works when sculpting, I'm wondering if you have any suggestions?
  • The bottom where the crotch/butt link is a single quad, I'm not sure if it matters and I could divide it but I'd be creating two poles - should I?

If anyone can help me with other crits or advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • davislim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    davislim polycounter lvl 5
    I dont think you are suppose to have any form of 5 sided faces......
    You also dont need to quad all faces....you can go for triangles....
    give loops for elbow/knee etc, the joint bending region for expansion and contraction of faces
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it depends what you'll be using to sculpt. I've never used Mudbox before, but for Zbrush, the fewer triangles the better as it works with quads mainly. As for the amount of polys, you want to have each poly laid out evenly, no massive polys on flat surfaces such as the chest or stomach as you won't get any decent resolution when sculpting, so try and go for evenly sized polys all over the mesh. If you are going to retopo this for the low poly, dont worry about the poly count of the base mesh. This has been already said but it's my feedback on it anyway :)
  • TripleThreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.
    I realize I shouldn't have any 5 sided faces and tris (same deal as ZBrush), the problem is more that I'm unsure of how exactly to get rid of them though.
    Getting rid of the n-gons result in more tris and vice versa.
    Any advice?

Also, forgot to mention, I plan to chamfer the biceps to make it more even.
    I'm not quite sure how to properly space the ankles without losing definition though - does that even matter considering its just a base?