Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1968 Ford Mustang

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
MoleTheMan polycounter lvl 6
well i just completed this some days ago and wanted some others to see it and tell me what they think this is a "finished" project but still open to changes well let me know what you think
71141252.jpg

modeled in Maya , rendered with Mentel ray
i enjoyed the project, hope to add onto this and possible do other cars as well maybe make it a scene a garage of sorts.

Replies

• dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    nice, one of my favorite cars
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Very solid work, any critiques are simply my own preference so they shall be left out.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • johnas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnas polycounter lvl 11
    One of my favorite cars too, I've put this on my todo list and hopefully could start it soon.

Accuracy is the biggest issue here, you're missing creases (like on top of the fenders) and headlights don't look right. I'd suggest to check more reference images :)
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Maybe its just me, but I think there is too much gloss going on. I'm just picking bones here, but if you wish to go for more realism, add some imperfections that the real world might unleash
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you did a good job capturing the overall spirit of the 68 fastback but its not all that accurate.

Crits:
    Using this as reference...
    - It's hard to tell from one shot, and its hard to crit the construction without a wireframe overlay.
    - The windshield is too rounded, it was pretty square on the original, especially in the lower right corner where the windshield meets the hood.
    - The front fender under the headlight is too square and straight, it appears to round down under toward the grill/ground at the bottom.
    - The roof seems a little deformed?
    - The cut out for the grill should probably be trimmed, as with other details like the windows.
    - The scoop for the light doesn't appear to hold the same shape, on the ref it has some angles to it but on the model its just kind of sunken in.
    - The bumper looks like its all part of the body.
    - The turn signal light just under the bumper is missing.
    - The crease line that runs along the top of the fender is really soft on the model, so is the side crease, on the ref they both run up to the front of the car.
    - The side crease doesn't appear to break for the door?
    - The hood doesn't appear to be separate from the fenders?
    - Windshield wipers and the vents right under them are missing.
    -The headlight scoops are a bucket piece that plugged into the front of the car, that seam is missing so are other small details like that.
    - And last and probably most importantly, the iconic rear fender bump/detail seems to be missing and flattened out.
  • MoleTheMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for all the feed back guys

TeriyakiStyle
    Thanks and yeah i am still working on the car i wanted to go for the look but not 100% on the money but yes the wheel well crease is loose its a little softer then i had hoped for it to some out but i think that could be fixed with adding a extra edge going around it

@johnas
    the head lights are something i actually went back and fixed i added the chrome strip going around them

@Alex3d
    and i was going for a gloss right out the box car but i am currently exploring toning down the highlights and gloss to give it more grunge

@Mark Dygert

wireframe should be up now
    yeah i see what you are saying about the windshield must have slipped my eye
    the roof may be a side effect of my camera angle and focal length
    yeah i am missing chrome trim i think the windows would look better with it
    yeah i had a little trouble with the light scoop but i think i can fix it
    yes the crease line on the side of the car did get shortened some of the geo got used to gold the shape of the wheel well and i think this is because the front of the two may -be to big
    the side crease breaks just cant see it well i threw in the AO

thank you for all the feed back i will be going back to fix a some things

wire frame
    screenshot20110928at114.png
    the AO you can see some of the seems better i think the glossiness blended them into the car
    ao22b.jpg
    and one of the Ref i used i actually used some of the pictures you posted Mark
    fordmustangfastback.gif
  • johnas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blueprint you've used is from years 1964-66 which is slightly different than 1967-1969 Mustang. It can be used as a reference but shouldn't be used only.

About the headlights, I think they look too small and they should be moved more forward.
  • waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As the last speaker said, the blueprints are 64-66. If you are after the -68 look (beefier) I would look at this since 67-68 have the same chassi.

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/ford/30264/view/ford_mustang_fastback__1967_/
  • robin_64_bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your render has an Ink 'n Paint feel to it. I dont think thats what you were looking for, but I think its edgy.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty nice work so far. but can't help but feel that your image feels like a matchbox car instead of a real car.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Regardless of the lack of accuracy to the reference, I think this model has a visual appeal all in its own. It looks like a "modernized" Shelby GT. I like it, but it could still use some tweaking.
  • MoleTheMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow i had no clue that the blueprint i had was the wrong year, when i found it was labeled as the 1968. But oh well lol it got me the desired look i was going for , and as far as the render goes i wasent going for a realistic render but a stylized one in its self. And to the being some what off on accuracy its my first car I have done so far xD but i really do like the feed back and i still am working on the car from time to time
  • johnas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to say I like your rendering style, it doesn't always have to be realistic :)

Since this is your first car I think you did well sofar
  • MoleTheMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you very much =), and yeah i liked the way it came out in the render

and yeah ill update in the coming days i changed a few things you suggested
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    I may repeat some of the things Mark Dygert said, sorry, he pointed out a lot of the modeling flaws but I have to comment because I love Mustangs.

Front end wise-
    the front bumper is too boxy its much more oval along with the lower bumper support pieces
    The front valance piece the one below the front bumper is a seperate piece from the rest of the body. You should add a seam for that.
    The front headlight housings seem too large and the insets in them are too small.
    The Front detail piece around the horse is very off I would suggest looking up better reference pics of it.
    Your missing the lettering on the hood
    The Body-
    The lines on the body seem too mushy and need to be more crisp. Along with the line around the door area being too pronounced. It flows into the body more.
    You are missing the cowl vents that are below the front windshield.
    The side mirrors should be on the door not the front fenders and there should only be one on the driver side. The didn't start putting ones on both sides till later unless you are going for a custom look??
    The distinct trim piece that is behind the side windows should be set in the body not on top of it.
    along with the piece that is in front of the rear wheel well that should be on top of the body as a ornamental piece.
    The roof and front windshields have a weird bump in them they are more flat. I would bet based on the blueprint image they are fine but in real life its not.

At this point you should decide to either make it a 66 fastback or change a ton of stuff and make it a 68 fastback
    I would just rename it a 66 fastback and change a couple things. If you make it a 66 it doesn't have the insets in the hood for the turn signals so don't bother adding those.
    I would break the car body into more pieces so you aren't fighting the geometry so much when adding loops.
    www.johnsmustang.com has a good source of parts pictures if you need a close up shot of something in particular.