Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TF2 Sentry Replacement - Sparky

So far, I only have Blender to work with. Sorry that the Images are sideways...

Also, if you're going to complain about it being 'too high-tech'... Think of the invisible French People... And Austrlum. xD

(updated Concept thanks to Jackablade, image was too bright at first)
conceptso.jpg

Anyone have ideas for the placement of the Rocket Launcher on Level 3? (It better be a rail gun)

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Your scans are so bright and low contrast that they're almost invisible on my screen. I dumped them in to Photoshop to have a closer look at them and thought I might as well upload the result.
    conceptso.jpg
    Weaponising the the swirly Nucleus thing from the map of the same name is an interesting idea. I'll be interested to see how you develop the concept.
  • Pegabrony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you meant how I got the idea...

It's funny, cause the design came from in one of my dreams.

The Nucleus (I read some more about it) is a Doomsday device. What
    I really plan on is recycling the particles. I could even have team-based particles.
  • Pegabrony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...Bump, I need more improvements on this, and ideas for the level 3 Design.

The Level 3 design needs ROCKETS xD
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I have no idea what im looking at :(

sounds like a cool idea though
  • Pegabrony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea what im looking at :(

sounds like a cool idea though

Whuuuuuuuuuuut did you say?!

Again, I'l going to recycle the big-swirly nucleus from arena_nucleus and use it on this Team Fortress 2 Sentry Gun replacement.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Your scans are so bright and low contrast that they're almost invisible on my screen. I dumped them in to Photoshop to have a closer look at them and thought I might as well upload the result.
    conceptso.jpgWeaponising the the swirly Nucleus thing from the map of the same name is an interesting idea. I'll be interested to see how you develop the concept.

Did you even change the pic? :poly142: It looks exactly the same as the OP on my screen
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Did you even change the pic? :poly142: It looks exactly the same as the OP on my screen
    Because the first post was updated and is now using jackablade's image :D

As for the sketches, they are still sort of hard to understand. Try to make them slightly bigger so it's not as cramped together.
    edit: By this I mean making the actual drawings again and drawing them bigger. Not that the image is to small :p

As for rockets, maybe go for some sort of laser cannon? Since on a map a rail gun would be almost an instant hit, it wouldn't be that much different from a laser. And I think a laser would sort of fit the nucleus effect.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to do some more refined sketches before you go any further with this.

Show us a clear and organized concept sheet. Outline each upgrade stage of the turret.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pegabrony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People are trying to tell you your drawings need to be better. And clearer to convey your idea.

What you have now is unclear to other people. Very faint lines and disorganized on the page. Push yourself to match or improve upon the clarity of the original tf2 concepts.

Aye aye, got that. The first drawings are ideas, and kind of like... uh... "mix 'n' match" on what design would look best. I thought people would get that. Oh well. I'll update this post with the upgrade concepts, as well with the better concepts of each levels... While drinking Dr. Pepper-flavored BONK!. The Biggest troll is, I'm hand-drawing these on paper. And I'm a Vector Artist, not a drawer. I better deal with it.
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pegabrony if you are a vector artist why are you concepting with hand drawn images? I used to think that to make concept art you HAD to draw out what you were considering but that is really not the case. You will be most productive if you are working in the environment that you feel most comfortable in. I am not very good at concepting in 2d and thus I usually make all of my very original concept art in 3d with modeling software. I do as little detail work as possible until I have a design I really like and then I start trying to add details or do paint overs or draw up more detailed concept art. Usually my work will start 3D, get played with in 2D, and then get finalized back in 3D. If you prefer vector art, do vector art concepts. There is not steadfast unbreakable rule as to how you should concept so you should really just do what feels right for you.
  • Pegabrony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaveSilver wrote: »
    @Pegabrony if you are a vector artist why are you concepting with hand drawn images? I used to think that to make concept art you HAD to draw out what you were considering but that is really not the case. You will be most productive if you are working in the environment that you feel most comfortable in. I am not very good at concepting in 2d and thus I usually make all of my very original concept art in 3d with modeling software. I do as little detail work as possible until I have a design I really like and then I start trying to add details or do paint overs or draw up more detailed concept art. Usually my work will start 3D, get played with in 2D, and then get finalized back in 3D. If you prefer vector art, do vector art concepts. There is not steadfast unbreakable rule as to how you should concept so you should really just do what feels right for you.

I'm still comfortable with hand-drawing still, but my hand can be a troll at times. (wtf... Spasms...?, strains, all from not exercising my hand xD)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    I thought there was a rule against individual TF2 threads?
    Why should there be? Not that I ever heard that.

I think most people just use the TF2 HATS thread for most stuff is it is so popular and everyone looks at it.

obviously this would be a large project on his own and he could use feedback. Just because it is TF2 related doesn't mean it shouldn't get the same respect that any 'random' model for any random game/portfolio/job whatever gets.
  • Pegabrony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    well I could have sworn they said a few months back that. the master TF2 thread is for all thinks related to TF2?

Again, this is a big project. I also have plans for replacing Dispensers and Teles too.

Updated concepts coming right up when I get the chance to scan! :D
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    It looks like you are having a lot of trouble with concept drawings. You should try starting with blockout meshes and then painting over them when you have one you like.
  • Pegabrony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    It looks like you are having a lot of trouble with concept drawings. You should try starting with blockout meshes and then painting over them when you have one you like.

Block out meshes?

If I'm correct from Google search... You mean like a little board where you 'paint' on, except he painting appears on the computer? I don't have one, and I have no money except to ask my parents.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegabrony wrote: »
    Whuuuuuuuuuuut did you say?!

Again, I'l going to recycle the big-swirly nucleus from arena_nucleus and use it on this Team Fortress 2 Sentry Gun replacement.

Also, don't assume that everyone knows the subject when you're explaining concepts. I don't play TF2, and I have no idea what any of that means.

Good luck with your project man.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    Hboy: he means for you to make a very blocky model of what you are thinking of for the gun. You then take a picture of that. You then draw on top of it in photoshop with details and shapes. The blocky model isnt used for anything else. it's just a series of shapes to help you figure out what you wanna make.

As for using the nucleus fx for your gun, you will not be able to just cut and paste them to your gun. They are particle fx that you will have to rebuild to the size you need. It's not a super difficult thing to do, but you might consider doing something simpler first.
  • Pegabrony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. scanner not working.
    r13 wrote: »
    Hboy: he means for you to make a very blocky model of what you are thinking of for the gun. You then take a picture of that. You then draw on top of it in photoshop with details and shapes. The blocky model isnt used for anything else. it's just a series of shapes to help you figure out what you wanna make.

As for using the nucleus fx for your gun, you will not be able to just cut and paste them to your gun. They are particle fx that you will have to rebuild to the size you need. It's not a super difficult thing to do, but you might consider doing something simpler first.

Mind giving an example of a Block out mesh thing?

I know about the particles, I'm going to load it, reduce the 'noise' if I have to, or I can just do one from fresh. I know distortions on Photoshop.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Pegabrony wrote: »
    Wow. scanner not working.

Mind giving an example of a Block out mesh thing?

I know about the particles, I'm going to load it, reduce the 'noise' if I have to, or I can just do one from fresh. I know distortions on Photoshop.

pretty simple concept and the reason they mentioned it is that you got a problem drawing in perspective.

so you block out the general shape as a 3d mesh, find a good angle to take a screenshot from, than paint your small details and colours onto in Photoshop.

here is someone who uses the same workflow for concept art and a little walk-through.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89071

the mesh shouldn't take much of your time or be detailed. it's olny purpose is to help you with perspective, and shading when painting the concpet.