Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FistOfVegetables' lowpoly WIP thread

I am currently working on adding to my portfolio, so I am going to use this thread to show the processes of what I am working on and hopefully get some good advice to improve my skills in the process.

I will be posting soon!:)

Replies

• FistOfVegetables
    Ok, sorry it has been a while, I've been working on the concept art for the two projects that I have going right now, and have just now been getting into the modeling. This is the first of three props for the 'Dark Signs' project, the lantern. I am not very good at concept art, so the design changes while I'm modeling based on my references and how it looks, but I do have an overall idea of what I am going for. :P

Here is the concept:
    Lantern.jpg

And here is my first highpoly model:
    LanternModel1.jpg

Critiques and advice is not only fine, but I would really like it! :)
  • FistOfVegetables
    While I'm at it I might as well post what else I did today. This is for the other project I am working on, which unfortunately doesn't have a name and will refer to as 'Dual Environment' project.

I made some high poly bricks in Max and Zbrush, and arranged them in a tileable pattern and baked a normal and AO into a plane for the textures. I will use them in the exterior environment as floor and wall textures. Next I will be adding grunge and wear then moving to diffuse. :)

The highpoly:
    render.jpg

And the tile image in max with the normals and the AO as the diffuse to check if it tiled ok:
    rendertiling.jpg
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome! you going to model the little rivets in the concept? Really looking forward to the textures. You going more realistic, or toony like the concept?

Keep it coming! Not much to critique at the moment.
  • FistOfVegetables
    Ahh, finaly. I finished adding the details and final touches as well as the netting that will hang the lantern. The globby stuff will be textured like tar as a sealant for the wooden tank.

Render1.jpg

Render2.jpg

Also, it looks like the spline for the top loop didn't get normalized, causing that squashing in the rope, I'll make sure to fix that before moving on...
    Awesome! you going to model the little rivets in the concept? Really looking forward to the textures. You going more realistic, or toony like the concept?

Keep it coming! Not much to critique at the moment.
    Yes! I am looking forward to the textures as well... and I will probably go realistic, the concept is cartoony because I can't do much with concept art :(

And tomorrow, on to el low poly modelo! (can you believe that english is my first language?)
  • FistOfVegetables
    So some things got in the way, but a friend of mine convinced me to do all my high poly models before I started on my low polys. Here are a few props from my other project, some futuristic stuff.

Here is a few renders of a detail for the environment:
    Detail_1Render1.jpg
    Detail_1Render2.jpg

And this is a projector and the workbench that is works with (the specular is really high in this render):
    ProjectorRender1.jpg
    Workbenchrender1.jpg
    Workbenchrender2.jpg

As usual, critiques are welcome! :D
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    High poly is nice and clean :)
  • FistOfVegetables
    High poly is nice and clean :)

Thanks! :)

I really enjoyed working on these, I like the shapes and the clean edges but some are too tight for a good normal map so I will go back and smooth a few of them out.
  • FistOfVegetables
    Just thought I would post some more of what I am working on, this is a boat/airship for the Dark Signs project.

Boat_1_R1.jpg
    Boat_1_R2.jpg
  • Santhem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not sure what kind of ship your trying to make, maybe some reference would be nice? By the type of bow and the difference between your decks i guess your going for some 16th century galleon? Actually, i can't really tell since a galleon would have less length and more width, but anything with this lenght and width wouldnt have that much height difference between the decks.

Anyway, if you are making an old ship, the lines of your hull arent flowing enough, which will give it the feel of an oil tanker. Id consider using a historical lineplan. I mostly use the website www.orlogsbasen.dk for this kind of thing. Even though its in danish, the database is pretty easy to navigate and has thousands and thousands of modern and historical ships, and theyr exact lineplans.

Another crit is that the beams of the ship are always placed a certain distance from each other. It looks to me that the ones on the bow are pretty far apart, then there's 2 right next to each other, and on the lower part they seem closer together. There wireframes here might also help you get your hull more flowing.
  • FistOfVegetables
    Santhem wrote: »
    Im not sure what kind of ship your trying to make, maybe some reference would be nice? By the type of bow and the difference between your decks i guess your going for some 16th century galleon? Actually, i can't really tell since a galleon would have less length and more width, but anything with this lenght and width wouldnt have that much height difference between the decks.

Anyway, if you are making an old ship, the lines of your hull arent flowing enough, which will give it the feel of an oil tanker. Id consider using a historical lineplan. I mostly use the website www.orlogsbasen.dk for this kind of thing. Even though its in danish, the database is pretty easy to navigate and has thousands and thousands of modern and historical ships, and theyr exact lineplans.

Another crit is that the beams of the ship are always placed a certain distance from each other. It looks to me that the ones on the bow are pretty far apart, then there's 2 right next to each other, and on the lower part they seem closer together. There wireframes here might also help you get your hull more flowing.

To be honest I had some trouble finding consistant references, which is why my ship doesn't look like any real life model. Those websites are handy, wish I had found them when looking for references. :) I remember some of those visual cross section books from years ago being about ships of this era, I wish I could have gotten a hold of one of those...

In the long run I think reworking the model may be overkill for the project, for one its going to be used as an environment, so it will only be seen from the deck and the hold. And two is that the design doesn't need to be conventional because it will be further modified like my lantern to fit into that same style, making it even more unrealistic.

I apreciate your cititique, you really helped me by pointing out the problems I wasn't aware of but I felt were off. Thanks!
  • FistOfVegetables
    Here is the second prop for the Dark Signs project, this time a barrel!

I know everybody has done a barrel, but this is my first ever. I have the first part done, but I still have modeling to do: the porthole and the pour tube. As always, I changed it as I went based on my references.

Here is my concept:
    Barrel.jpg

And the first HP:
    BarrelRender1.jpg

Going to keep trucking! :)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh, finaly. I finished adding the details and final touches as well as the netting that will hang the lantern. The globby stuff will be textured like tar as a sealant for the wooden tank.

Render1.jpg

Render2.jpg

Also, it looks like the spline for the top loop didn't get normalized, causing that squashing in the rope, I'll make sure to fix that before moving on...

Yes! I am looking forward to the textures as well... and I will probably go realistic, the concept is cartoony because I can't do much with concept art :(

And tomorrow, on to el low poly modelo! (can you believe that english is my first language?)

how did u do that rope?
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the High poly of the Barrel. Keep up the great work man.
  • FistOfVegetables
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    how did u do that rope?

Sorry it took so long to reply, got stuck at work...

The rope is actually easier than it looks, and if it is done right it comes out great. The first thing I did was look at some references to find the type of knot and pattern I wanted to do. I set up splines in the pattern of the weave, leaving space between them since the rope will be thicker, especially in the areas where they overlap.

After that, I made a cylinder with 6 sides (how many individual strands you want X2 so if you wanted 4 go with 8 sides) and several height segments. Apply a twist modifier and make sure that the twist amount is enough that it comes around full circle (360 degress, 720, etc depending on how tight you want it and how tall you made the cylinder)

Once that is done, collapse to an editable poly and grab every other vertical edge and loop them so you have a spiral made of the edges, and use the "create shape from selection" tool in the editable poly. Once you do that, you will have your splines that spiral upwards.

What you will have to do is clone and the segments of splines so that they meet up end to end and then weld the verticies (which is why its important the twist amount is right). You may have to do this several times depending on how long the segment of rope is that you are applying this to. Turn on renderable and visible to viewport in the spline that makes up the rope, and tweak the settings so that they are thick enough to touch. Keep the interpolation and sides down so you can just smooth it once you have it set to the path.

After that, use a path deform modifier on the rope and chose the spline that makes up the pattern, and mess with the settings untill its where you want it. If your rope segment is too short, remove the path deform, clone the segment up and weld the verticies to lengthen it.

Have fun with it, and I would love to see what you make with it! :)
  • FistOfVegetables
    DaveSilver wrote: »
    I really like the High poly of the Barrel. Keep up the great work man.

Thanks! You really got my motivation going :)
  • FistOfVegetables

The rope is actually easier than it looks, and if it is done right it comes out great. The first thing I did was look at some references to find the type of knot and pattern I wanted to do. I set up splines in the pattern of the weave, leaving space between them since the rope will be thicker, especially in the areas where they overlap.

After that, I made a cylinder with 6 sides (how many individual strands you want X2 so if you wanted 4 go with 8 sides) and several height segments. Apply a twist modifier and make sure that the twist amount is enough that it comes around full circle (360 degress, 720, etc depending on how tight you want it and how tall you made the cylinder)

Once that is done, collapse to an editable poly and grab every other vertical edge and loop them so you have a spiral made of the edges, and use the "create shape from selection" tool in the editable poly. Once you do that, you will have your splines that spiral upwards.

What you will have to do is clone and the segments of splines so that they meet up end to end and then weld the verticies (which is why its important the twist amount is right). You may have to do this several times depending on how long the segment of rope is that you are applying this to. Turn on renderable and visible to viewport in the spline that makes up the rope, and tweak the settings so that they are thick enough to touch. Keep the interpolation and sides down so you can just smooth it once you have it set to the path.

After that, use a path deform modifier on the rope and chose the spline that makes up the pattern, and mess with the settings untill its where you want it. If your rope segment is too short, remove the path deform, clone the segment up and weld the verticies to lengthen it.

Also, I forgot to mention that this is in 3ds max, I'm not familiar enough with the other programs to know how to do it in them, but overall its a pretty simple process so I'm sure you can change it to suit based on what program you are using.
  • FistOfVegetables
    Phew, the last couple days have been... interesting to say the least, but I got some work done.

Here is the next point in the high poly of the barrel, I've gotten everything I wanted to do in max done. Next I will take it into zbrush, add some damage and details, and also make the sealant drips around the porthole and spout.

MaxHPRender.jpg
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    Nice Stuff but where's the low poly stuff?
  • FistOfVegetables
    Nice Stuff but where's the low poly stuff?

Lol, I know I called this my low poly thread, but its all high poly!

It's because I am going to finish all three high poly props for the Dark Signs project (lantern, barrel, crane) before moving on to the low polys. You know, doing all the highs then doing all the lows at once. Guess I wasn't thinking about that when I named the thread. :/
  • FistOfVegetables
    Ok, last 2nd to last update on the barrel for now. I changed the elbow, the old one was really distracting to me, and didn't seem realistic for the design I'm going for. Early rough pipe is ok, but bent elbow joints seemed a bit too modern. I went with a different elbow for a different feel.

MaxHPRender2.jpg
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Really great looking high-polys in this thread. Could you post the wireframes with these as well? I'd be interested in seeing what those look like before turbosmooth has been applied.
  • FistOfVegetables
    Unsmoothed wireframes, coming right up!

Feel free to give me pointers on my topology, If you can see it that is.
    WireFrames.jpg
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18

thanx alot for the info :D

ill try it sometimes
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope you don't mind me doing a redline, but there's one thing I noticed about the lantern-thing. It might be a little late to fix this. I'm assuming the object is going to be attached to something above it and hanging by those ropes.

Redline.jpg
  • FistOfVegetables
    Weirdboy wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me doing a redline, but there's one thing I noticed about the lantern-thing. It might be a little late to fix this. I'm assuming the object is going to be attached to something above it and hanging by those ropes.

Redline.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions and the paintover, it's not too late for me to change the rope, I need to go back and fix some problems so I can make it more realistic while I do that. As my rope is now, it's too ridged, it looks plastic. You hit the points that made it look like that on the head, adding the tension made by gravity would really help the realism. Also, do you have any advice on how I could give the webbing area a more tensioned look as well, or is that part ok?

Thanks again! :)
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The webbing part looks pretty good from these angles. Can I see a close up view?
  • FistOfVegetables
    Here is a quick detail render of the ropes, unsmoothed.
    Ropedetail.jpg
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the overall shape is pretty good. But here's the only thing I'd fix:

(EDIT) It may be the angle is making some of these look more loop-like than others.

002-2.jpg
  • FistOfVegetables
    Weirdboy wrote: »
    I think the overall shape is pretty good. But here's the only thing I'd fix:

(EDIT) It may be the angle is making some of these look more loop-like than others.

While I get what you are saying, I intentitionaly made the pattern it has. Each strip of rope alternates between looping over the rope at the top, and (not looping?) at the bottom where the rope below loops over it. I originally had them all doing the non-looping pattern but it looked a little repetitious and I wanted some more variation. I like the idea of making another knot-loop around each point in the net, it makes sense that it would keep the net from getting disshaped, but I think design-wise the net will get too bulky and obscure the view into the sphere. I want the net to be a detail of the lantern, not overpower the whole model.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough. It'll probably be a whole less noticeable once you get the whole thing textured anyway.
  • FistOfVegetables
    Yeah, its going to be cast onto a low poly (at some point lol) so it's not a huge deal. I hope I didn't sound ingrateful, I really appreciate your input Weirdboy. :)
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't take it as you being ungrateful. You're not required to follow the advice everyone gives you on these things to the letter. You want to try that part your way, which is fine. You handled it diplomatically enough.

Have you thought far enough ahead to how you want to handle the normal map? You've got some 90 degree edges on those ropes that might not come out looking so great on the low-poly + normal unless you throw some extra geometry on them. I think chamfering might do the trick.
  • FistOfVegetables
    Heh, thanks, I'm still pretty new to this forum and I didn't want to come across as a jerk already (maybe someday...) lol. As for the low poly, I don't think I am going to be able to get the tri count as low as I would like and still get a good looking normal map with the ropes, but when I get to that we'll see how it turns out.

Gotten kinda wrapped up in other stuff, but here is the last update on the barrel before I move onto the low polys for the props, fresh off the decimation. I mainly wanted some variation for the surface for when I cast:
    MaxHPRender3.jpg

And while I'm on that, here is the concept for the last prop before I make the low polys; the crane.
    Crane.jpg
    The concept is pretty bare because more than the others this one will change a lot as I am going, there are so many different types of these cranes that I will probably pull design from everywhere. Also the motor that runs it hasn't been fleshed out at all, another part that will evolve as I go.

Busy busy busy! :)
  • FistOfVegetables
    Wow, I have been gone a while, between a vacation and a different project I didn't get much work done on my portfolio the last couple of months, but I am back on the bandwagon now.
    Got the low poly for the lantern done, as well as unwrapped and some casting. Below is an update of the wireframe and the normal map in 3point.
    LanternLow.jpg
    The lantern has 1,218 tris, and uses a 1024x1024 map. I still need to do some fixes to the normal and the alpha, and make the diffuse and specular.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty slick cast man! Now onto textures!
  • FistOfVegetables
    Here is a quick update on the lantern. Been doing some texturing, still a lot more to do. Not sure how I feel about the wood normal right now though.
    LanternUpdate.jpg
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    idk... hopefuly give you some ideas...
    Could probably pose this thing so your images aren't so tall and your object so stiff.

LanternUpdate.gif
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    While I get what you are saying, I intentitionaly made the pattern it has. Each strip of rope alternates between looping over the rope at the top, and (not looping?) at the bottom where the rope below loops over it. I originally had them all doing the non-looping pattern but it looked a little repetitious and I wanted some more variation. I like the idea of making another knot-loop around each point in the net, it makes sense that it would keep the net from getting disshaped, but I think design-wise the net will get too bulky and obscure the view into the sphere. I want the net to be a detail of the lantern, not overpower the whole model.

but physics would pull the ropes apart, there is no way they could stay like that