http://vimeo.com/29565423

constructive critiques are welcome

regards :)

Replies

• Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, all your weapons look cool and fairly realistic. However I can't crit you until I know what you are going for game/realism. Post some wireframes/unwraps/textures.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    I think your guns look kick ass man. However I can't stand the way you present them tbh. I think the smoke is way to distracting, and I think you need simpler camera moves, no crazy angles. Personally I think turn arounds, and simple pans would work a lot better. Also maybe only show your 3 or 4 best guns, but show some wire frames and texture sheets.

Just my two cents :) Awesome guns!
  • Ofrst
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Ease up on the silly angles and the smoke. Use a pan, then turnaround with wires, AO, Normal flats fade on. The weapons look pretty good though. Also use Photobucket/imageshack for image hosting.
  • Ofrst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ofrst polycounter lvl 10
    thanks, I realize that this upload here isn't working, so imageshack links are above.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    this is exactly why reels are silly for anything but turnarounds. post some regular shots of the models, those will give a much clearer view for people to pick apart and critique the assets.

simple turnaround animations are good as an addition to regular pictures.
  • Ofrst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ofrst polycounter lvl 10
    You all really helped me, especially with camera moving critiques, I know that I should show AO and wires but i didn't had much time to render AO. Now I am working on new presentation of my models with your critiques on my mind.

regards
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guns, lots of Guns
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    I'm gonna go ahead and really disagree on one of everyone's main points. Don't just do "turnarounds". They're overused in my opinion for a reel such as this. I think the main problem you've ended up with here is simply that theres often no clear, full view, easy to read shot of each model. Turnarounds are good for that. I think many of the closeups you have work great to show materials and detail and it would be a shame to lose them to generic turnarounds. This seems to me to much more memorable which may be more important in many cases then purely readability.

I much prefer to think of modeling and texturing demoreels as "trailers" for the actual content (on your site or portfolio). The Trailer gives me a really compelling, short taste of the content, the site gives me the meat of it, laid out for me to consume over a larger period of time, in more detail.

I agree with everyone else about the smoke too, too strong. Also I'd suggest maybe excluding a couple guns possibly or find a way to make them "pop" more. After while the guns have a samey kind of feel and start to blend together. For example, I have no memory of just how many guns I actually saw and past the first and last one, I couldnt possibly name any.

Overall looking really great though, the materials on that AK are fantastic.
  • Ofrst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ofrst polycounter lvl 10
    I originally imagined this reel as a commercial for weapons, and this video should take a part in my short movie as a commercial on large spherical city screens. In that case I think it will work perfectly. When I'll be working presentation for my web page i will probably do turnarounds, anyway I agree with you when you said you see demo reels as trailers, with a variety of camera angles, because it's more interested that way. I'll keep it on my mind that i have full view of a model, and I'll definitely put that smoke behind models, or even remove it completely.

Spitfire It's not about guns, I post this just like a example, to see what people think about it, like some kind of "scheme" to do 3d demo reel, and I'm satisfied with different opinions of yours.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just thinking of the matrix,
    I do think they look good overall but the quality between the guns vary alot. When displaying them like this you could definately work the metal materials a bit more on some of the weapons, some on the other hand has really nice surfaces to them.