Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First attempt at trees

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Dagon polygon
The trees entirely modelled in blender I think it's good for a first time.

Firsttree.png
Texturemap.png

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    The alpha doesn't seem to work correctly? But yes, good work :)
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Looks good. As chrisradsby said, your alpha is not rendering correctly. I am not familiar with blender but dig around to figure out whats going on there. The actual map looks fine.

As for the trunk of your tree; see here.

Compare the trunks to the one you have currently. It looks like you slapped a rock texture on the trunk. A little bit of tinkering and this would be a great first tree.

Keep at it.
  • Dagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    Thank you for the comments :) and to Sasochicken: Yes I actually made the lighting blue to give it a "colder" night touch since it just looks so much better that way but that's just for this render anyway :) I understand that the alpha isn't working properly I actually tried quite a lot to see what's wrong so I'll look around and see what's causing it. And I also agree about the trunk texture it's actually a real tropical tree photo that I got off cgtextures but it doesn't seem to look too good.
  • Dagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    Okay fixed the alpha problem I hope it seems I wasn't using the right settings in blender. Hopefully it will work in UDK. Couldn't get a texture that looked good on the tree trunk I tried arranging the UV unwrap but still has a bit quite a bit of stretching.

Fixed.png
    Fixed2.png
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, you need to fix the trunk textures, they seem too muddy! Good job on fixing the alpha!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Make sure the texture BG matches the texture, because of mipping and multisampling and stuff.

texturing_background_color.png
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Excellent start. I would make one minor tweak. Take your leaves you used, and rotate them slightly so they all face forward a bit. Instead of extending straight out. (Looks like you started doing that towards the end)

Also, on each side, you can offset them ever so slightly so they are not growing out of the same exact spot.

Google "Palm Leaves" and you'll see what I am referring to.

Keep it going!

pi_22411.jpeg