Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modern Train station environment

Hello PC, I'm going to be working on a modern train station type environment over the next couple weeks. The concept is something i found online and is by Mike Manalac. I've already started on some of the easier assets. Any comments, crits, or suggestions would be helpful.Mike_Manalac_03a.jpg
assets_1.jpg

Replies

• Jar3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool concept. It's going to take some pretty sweet lighting to pull off since thats alot of the interest in the scene.
  • linz1010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very true, lighting hasn't been one of my strongest skills, so this project will certainly push me...
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    not to be nitpicky, but already your stuff looks off scale from the concept. The flower bed and sign thing in it are much longer. I would almost say you need to double the length. the trash can could be a bit skinnier as well.

Just hurry up and blockout the scene real quick with more basic shapes so you can see if the proportions feel good in 3d.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do a blockout first

Edit: Somebody else beat me to it...but yeah, you really need a blockout to start with...you can figure out proportions like oobersli said, you can get a prelim lighting pass...and you can keep a better scope on your scene.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Cool concept to work off, but i would agree with others, block it out i have started a few projects in the past my starting off with a bottl or a desk for example and it always have to be redone, scaled, moved etc.

Your modeling looks good as you said these are some of the easier assets, but the scale is way off.

Look forward to seeing a block out and how this progresses!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, just block it out first.

One thing that already bothers me here is the thickness of your assets. Try to make them look a little bit thinner, right now they look a little bit like plastic toys.

Anyways, it's a really cool concept so good luck :thumbup:
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    too chunky, fix scale
  • linz1010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on blocking out the scene (blue rectangle is player character), I think the proportions are better here than in my original assets. Let me know if you guys think this looks better. Thanks :)
    blockout.jpg
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Yeah its good start on the block out do the whole thing though, if you look at the height of where those plants are with the billboard in your character is nearly the same height that is an awful large bin. I think some things need to be scaled up like those billboards to the right and the plant things scaled down to accomodate the bin. That may be a bit nit picky i dunno, but if the scale is off its always gona look a bit weird in my opinion.
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Well it is a good start but I would Google for dimensions for most of these standard everyday assets that we found around public places. You will be surprised to find out that there are specs out there available.

Also what size is the box representing the human figure?
  • linz1010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry it's taken SO long for me to post stuff, I've been really busy with school and what not. Here is a bit more progress on the blockout, I've really been trying to find real world measurements for the objects in the scene (the bench was MASSIVE by real world standards). Let me know what you guys think.blockout_2.jpg
  • linz1010
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tekmatic
    the player character is 96h and 32x32
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good so far! I agree on the issues with scale though. Definitely keep going with the blockout until it was all there. Then maybe getting a camera angle similar to the concept will help you see some differences in proportion a bit easier.
  • linz1010