So i been working on my porfolio and i would like an opinion of the model

mechside.jpgmechfornt.jpg

Replies

• KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    What? No wireframe view??

Anyway, there appears to be a nasty seam on the head of the model. When dealing with texture seams on metal props you could try disguising it, but I think it would be better if you just took that piece and changed the UV so that the seam is hidden from view. It will make it look better and it will make it easier for you to texture.

As far as texturing goes, I'd say this is a good start. You've blocked in colors, added some decals, and you're starting on your grunge pass. I’d add wear and tear to areas that the machine that would normally bump into parts of the environment, such as the sides of the arms and around the feet and legs. There are a number of tutorials online that can show you how you can make your metals look more realistic. Look up Racer445's tutorials.

Keep goin! :)
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    thanks for the opinion.

what part of the model is the seams problem
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the one he is talking about is seen pretty clearly in the first picture you posted. it looks like it is on either side of the windows of the cockpit. i'm not an expert, but what i would also do is check your smoothing groups for the cockpit section.

good start though! the model itself looks solid.
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    I am not a fan of the opening in the front that looks like an open mouth kind of but it looks like a decent start
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    yea it base on the mech from book mecha zone 2
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    new textures and i think i fix that seams problem if not the i must be blind, tell me if the texture need more workmechtop.jpgmechfornt2.jpgmechside.jpg
    here is the wireframe and poly countmechwireframe.jpg
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, great start on your model! First off I think your textures are too low res, they look really muddy up close. You still have a bunch of nasty seams running along the model, you can try painting them out; or place your seams in places where they would seem normal (i.e. black subdivision lines). And lastly your model has too many sharp edges where there shouldn't be any. For example: your missile pipes look very edgy, while they are supposed to be round. Add those surfaces to a single smoothing group so the edges would look smooth. Good luck!
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    il try, maybe i use soft edges insted of hard but thanks for the help
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like model still has some baking and hard edge issues here and there.

Also, geometry could be optimized quite a lot without loosing quality, you have lots of edges that don't seem to contribute anything to silhouette.