Home General Discussion

3d Schools at london or nearby

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,I am from Italy & soon I have to leave my country to go to London or nearby.

Here in Italy I don't ever have the chance to study 3d stuff in a school cause we don't have it (at least not good ones) so actually I am a self-taught guy,but I am pretty sure that at London or near it I can find the school that I am looking for,& here I need you knowledges to find the right ones :)

The school that I am looking for have to teach me all I need to know to be ready to work in a software house that create videogames as a 3d artist (hard surface & organic & environment,so...the ability to modeling/texturing everything is required) :)

& if possible,it have not to be something like a private school that ask a lot of money :poly141:

Replies

• Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.escapestudios.co.uk/ tailored especially for games and VFX, good quality teaching, but super super expensive :O
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is not a good quality school but not expensive? :(
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would think it might be better (and cheaper) to take a good quality regular art course and study the technical aspects of 3D and game art online by yourself ...
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    London college of communication (formerly LCP) used to do a good cg course, might be worth checking that out.
    http://www.lcc.arts.ac.uk/courses/courses-by-subject/
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    pior wrote: »
    I would think it might be better (and cheaper) to take a good quality regular art course and study the technical aspects of 3D and game art online by yourself ...

This. Look into art ateliers.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    London college of communication (formerly LCP) used to do a good cg course, might be worth checking that out.
    http://www.lcc.arts.ac.uk/courses/courses-by-subject/

this ask to me 9500 pounds that is 10000 € ...not so cheap...

You mean...drawing by Hand?! I suck in that... & to tell the truth,I know some amazing artists that tell me that they suck drawing with a pencil,so I think this is not what I am looking for :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys,sorry the double post.

look at this post,look inside the spoilers so you can see my current works & my current skills.

http://www.indievault.it/forum/showthread.php?tid=4359

Now,maybe that I am looking for is not a school but it's a software house that can take me for an Internship/Apprenticeship (don't know what is the right word) ...you think I am ready to handle a thing like that?

If Yes,you know about some softwarehouse at London that do that?
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    a 3d program is just another tool for the ARTIST, if you cant draw it will directly affect your ability to create creative and convincing 3d models.
    There are plenty of cheap (in comparision) video tutorials out there for 3d artists, but a knowledge of how to actually draw is vital, there are a few traditional school in Europe.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    ChrisG wrote: »
    a 3d program is just another tool for the ARTIST, if you cant draw it will directly affect your ability to create creative and convincing 3d models.
    Erm... thats not true at all. I know a good few people who can't draw worth shit but their 3d is solid.
    ChrisG wrote: »
    There are plenty of cheap (in comparision) video tutorials out there for 3d artists, but a knowledge of how to actually draw is vital, there are a few traditional school in Europe.
    A pencil is just a tool for any artist. Its just another medium, and the medium doesn't matter, your understanding of art principles is what is important.

That said, you could teach a monkey to make stuff in 3d. Learning traditional / classical arts will teach you a lot more about art fundamentals and princples, a lot faster.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »

I will second this and third this! This is probably some of the best advice you can get and I wish I was given this advice much earlier in life (and my career).

I'm studying a traditional art course now and it is definitely improving my 3D as much as my 2D even though I'm not actually using any digital forms of media in the course.

3D courses will teach you how to use the software, they will most definitely not teach you how to be a better artist.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand this & I know how that could be important,but actually I think that for my situation would be better an internship in a SH,this because if I have understand correctly,I even receive some money while I am learning & I need those extra money to live at London (or nearby) :(

But maybe when I have extra money/time I can purchase those art course online right?I mean,around there are videotutorial for everything,so you guys know where can I find those? :poly141:
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    up,still looking for a software house that take people for internship near London :)
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're gonna need a good portfolio before a company will even consider you for an internship.

Do you have a portfolio?
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no,actually I don't have one :(
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    www.carbonmade.com

Allows you to create a free portfolio.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the link,I put this togheter

http://marcusaseth.carbonmade.com/
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    marks wrote: »
    Erm... thats not true at all. I know a good few people who can't draw worth shit but their 3d is solid.

A pencil is just a tool for any artist. Its just another medium, and the medium doesn't matter, your understanding of art principles is what is important.

That said, you could teach a monkey to make stuff in 3d. Learning traditional / classical arts will teach you a lot more about art fundamentals and princples, a lot faster.

I will think that people who couldnt draw before creating 3d models who now are very talented will have seen their ability to draw mulitpy x number of times. Different representational art forms are mutually exclusive in developing, here comes the cliche - 'the artist eye'

When I said draw I basicly meant princples of art. Besides you cant get more fundamental than a piece of charcoal can you?
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    online I can find videotutorials that teach me this fundamentals you are talking about? Even if there is to pay,I am glad to pay for them :)
    Can you suggest to me some of them?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read all of it,very interesting,thank you for the link :)

So now what is the next step? a lot of practice copying real photos of anatomy?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Try and avoid copying/studying from photos unless it's your only option. If you're going to study anatomy and the human form, then take up life drawing classes and draw from real life rather than just a static 2D image. You'll get more out of it and it will help understand depth, perspective and forms a whole lot more.