Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

KW's take on the Anet Environment Art Test

kwshipman
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
kwshipman polycounter lvl 9
Figured while i await a response from ArenaNet, I'd post and get some critiques. I quit my job a while back to focus on being an artist, and since ArenaNet has some of the best artists in the industry, I've never wanted a job so bad. Fingers crossed.
AnetArtTestLarge.jpg

And good luck to everyone else. There are some stellar entries in this forum.

Replies

• matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
    I know the feeling, man. Working there would be amazing. I've been waiting tables since school ended and it's driving me insane, so my fingers are crossed too. Good luck to us both and hopefully they have more than one position open for each type of artist.

As for critique, overall, it looks pretty good, but a few things stand out to me. Your front door looks a bit stretched, but that could be from the camera angle. Also, the doorstep looks more saturated than the rest of the stonework. Try toning it down to match the rocks closest to it so that it doesn't stand out so much. Plus, you don't have a doorknob.

The biggest thing I noticed is that the timbers on the house read more like rusted metal to me than wood. The grain seems to be going across the beams rather than down their length. Combined with the reddish tint and the strong normal map, it looks like rusted metal beams to me.

I hope that helps some.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwshipman wrote: »
    I've never wanted a job so bad. Fingers crossed.

Oh yeah, man, I know how you feel! The amount of times I've refreshed my email has been astronomical, despite knowing that they will probably take at least a week to go through the entries and make decisions.

Anyway, now onto crits.

The bad:
    -I think the wood, well, doesn't look like wood. Looks like rock to me.
    -The side window's texture looks noticeably stretched.
    -I think your final renders could have looked a lot better in an engine like the UDK. What was this rendered in?
    -The door's metal trim looks funny, kind of like the wood. You should check out racer's tutorial, it is a great tut for making believable metal.

The good:
    -I really like the brick texture you are using on the base.
    -I like what you did with the vine plant thingies, and how they're not just snaking across it like on mine and many other entries, but are also piling up at certain spots.
    -I like how you are breaking up the texture repetition with the damage to the walls.
    -At a glance, it looks like you got the proportions nailed down.

Good luck to you, sir.