Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Game Art showcase

hello everyone, this is my first post in polycount. I'll try to show you my bad ass characters here. hope to enjoy thumbup.gif
Volcatron:

volcatron_front.jpgvolcatron_side.jpgvolcatron_back.jpg

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    very nice, what was your process modeling? All subD or ZBrush?
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    This looks amazing, but i dont think that the gold decorative bits fit in too well right now.
  • Rouhollah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you coots7, I modeled all the stuff in xsi, i use zbrush for some fine details so
    thanx zakhar2, after about 1 year i think so, you're right ;)
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Badass! I think this is very interesting. Reminds me of a mix of Wrex from Mass Effect, and the aliens from The Fifth Element (best movie ever).

There is a bit of craziness going on, like almost too much detail it kind of clutters what the hell you're looking at, but I still love it. Would love to fight a bunch of these dudes in an FPS.

My only advice would be to try desaturating the red a bit, see if the character is easier to read on screen. Good job though man!
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    I would agree with GOBEE on the saturation levels of the extremely bright red. I do however think that it is too noisy. It can be really hard to read, and ends up looking really flat because of form to the character. Try squinting your eyes while you look at it. The shapes become much more apparent and less complicated. There is more form, more depth to the character. Remember more detail doesn't mean more awesome. I still think that it looks good and I do like the design.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice.

Lots of detail on this, me likey.

Maybe you could try using 2 colors for the body panels, instead of just the red.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Very impressive and I also like the silhouette and general proportions of the character, but I gotta agree that there's just too much detail going on. Makes me feel like I don't know where to look. Like a very cluttered picture that you can't make out what's the subject in it.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    My initial impression was WHOAAAA. Then I realized the eye really doents have anywhere to rest. I can has focal point?
  • Rouhollah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys thank you so much, about saturated red i think the problem comes from my uncalibrated display maybe, and details, almost everyone who looked at this it takes time to say something, i feel this is a problem. now i know details are not everything. your feedbacks is really appreciated and helpful
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Really nice!

I think what kinda ruins it, is the presentation, as some people stated here.
    It's a bit too contrasty, which makes seeing all the cool details a little hard, it's way too saturated as well, almost to the point where makes my eyes burn and monochromatic. (I only see red and black)

Also, the base is taking away too much attention from the main model, it's too bright and too saturated, and never use a black background to show your work.

I took the liberty of doing some tweaks to show my point, less contrast, less saturation, more color pallete (less monochromatic), gradient in background and remove the black solid color you had.

N0WTw.jpg

PS. This is only my very own personal opinion! And I have to say the execution is almost flawless, great modeling and texturing!

PS2. Basically make it blorange... ahah
  • Rouhollah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] points that you mentioned is really beneficial and i appreciate them, thank you for great feedback, actually I'm new to lowpoly game characters and i need such advices, thanks all you polycount guys thumbup.gif
  • Rouhollah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello all
    long time no post, today I shared my latest try in creating realtime character model. I sculpt all stuffs (organic and hard surface) in zbrush 4 r4, textured in 3d coat and rendered realtime in marmoset toolbag. lookin forward to see your feedbacks and hope you like it :)

realtime#1
    toghyani-gforce-full.jpg

realtime#2
    toghyani-gforce-medium.jpg

highpoly zbrush render
    toghyani-gforce-highpoly.jpg

realtime#3
    toghyani-gforce-rtrender.jpg