Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orc Character

Kyuzo
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
Hi! Here are my little piece of shame :D

I was demotivated a bit after painting stones for couple of days(my first thread) and decided to make something complex. So, here are my little(gg, about two weeks) try to model and texture.

colored.jpg
Wire
wirec.jpg

Diffuse
orcdiffuse.jpg

And a concept all was made from(not mine)
conceptt.jpg

Base mesh was made in ZBrush, but i made a mistake and imported 2nd subdiv mesh instead of first, so when i found that my char have about 10k tris only on body i was shocked and reworked entire mesh... so now it have about 8150 tris for entire scene, body was lowered for 6k. After that i abandoned any futher changes to mesh

After that was unwrap and texturing... there was couple of weak spots on unwrap, but i have understood it too late, have to pay more attention to it next time.

Tried to paint texture with DeepPaint projections, but after several strange artefacts i deside to paint directly on diffuse, and there are was detected UV problems.. but too late :thumbdown:

Most failed part of work is weapon and hair (i think so), and it seems i made same mistake as with stones(monochromatic colors), and tried to use Burn and Doodge tools on final muscle texture....

While painting face was totally disappointed and thought to stop, but remembered "How to win" thread and decided to take it to the end.

So here are final model, i don't sure i'll do more work on it, maybe i'll try to make specular map. I think this character will be easier to make from scratch again than fix this one :S

Decided to take drawing classes :D

Will be apreciated for any crits and advices and thanks for reading :)

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Man, I love waffles. And donuts.

... now I'm hungry.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    vanilla ice hair!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Snader, someone just reported you as a spammer. Sort it out man, give some advice or don't post at all.
  • Kyuzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    waffles and donuts? m8, come to russsia, i'll make some for you ;]

about hair, i really don't understand how to make this sort of hair, there are alpha mask(not visible on render), but however it looks like grid. looks like i neeed more mindfully read the Varga Hair tutorial..
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit sucks. And you know it sucks. You may want to defend it like I do with my shit that sucks, but eventually you cop to it that it sucks, and if you don't you're not learning/improving. If you make something and don't have any problems with it, you might be in the wrong mindset for artisting.

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.”

Do it again, your base should initially max out at about 1500-2000 tris, fix all proportions at this stage. If it looks too sharp in some areas, add loops if it is worth it (Does it radically improve the silhouette, will it make it deform or get shaded better??).

Decide your style/spec:

Realistic: (Very good normal map, Diffuse=basecolor/AO/Dirty colors)
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74780

Hand Painted: (Diffuse does most/all of work, paint in shading, specular optional) Often fewer triangles. Wide range of styles have used just diffuse, mostly because its the bare necessities for a real time model.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71380

Stylized: (Hand Painting + Normal map, exaggerated forms, stylization, maps work together well, but realism is clearly not the goal) Can typically survive better without the normal map than the realistic model.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77580

Try again, fail, get better, try again, fail, get better.

I took my first drawing class last spring, and I never realized that the biggest obstacle for most people is their own mind. It was a major lesson for me. The people that succeeded in that class were the ones who weren't afraid to erase, weren't afraid to adapt, weren't afraid to draw fast and loose. There was a guy in my class who actually cried on 2 different days, threw a tantrum and stopped coming to class.

Don't be that guy, never give up, but its not a bad thing to identify your own stuff as crap, just don't let it discourage you.
  • Kyuzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    Hi achillesian, thank you for usefull post, i have seen these models before(like lot of others) and understand what type of style i can use. But clear definition of style is thing that helps to understand. Thanks :) I like the blizzard art style, so Hand Painted or Stylized is my choice. But i have to get much more drawing practice, i'm really bad in it :S

And you are right, greatest obstacle is in human mind. You can find million of reasons not to do something, but the only way to improve is to throw these reasons away and do it :)
    Art is like karate, you have to do ten thousand kicks before you'll do the right one, hopefully in one time i'll get my black drawing belt and will not give up on a blue, or on white where i'm at :D
    PS: (omg, this text in google translate looks awfull, hope it understable :S)
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    In general when you model Characters, you should have the palms of the hands facing the hips, not facing backwards. It makes it easier for riggers and its a more natural pose. I also agree your polycount is way too high. It's also helpful to show a non triangulated model, so we can see the edgeflow easier. The hair would probably be better as just a modified cylinder shape, rather than intersecting planes
  • Kyuzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the tips Coots, don't know why i did palms facing backward, by character sheet they facing the hips... i have to be more accurate.
    Updated wires in first post.
    Hair.. maybe, i tried to do it with alpha mask(not in render), but it was not so good :\ have to try different approaches