Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet - Intership Environment

andreaskreuter
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
andreaskreuter polycounter lvl 8
hi there,

my first post here, i`m reading this forum for a long time now but never posted anything.
so here we go .*check*
i heard from the internship program accidentally last tuesday and i thought it would be fun to join in.
in the end it was not so much fun because of the lack of time :) (6days)

this is why i post after the deadline because i had no time.
would appreciate some c&c.

cheers,
andreas

house_day_01.jpghouse_day_02.jpghouse_day_03.jpghouse_day_04.jpghouse_night_01.jpghouse_night_02.jpghouse_night_03.jpghouse_night_04.jpgtexture_sheet_01.jpgtexture_sheet_02.jpg

Replies

• Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duuude, how the heck did no one see this?

This is looking really solid, congrats on your first post btw :)

What I like:
    Use of color is good, nothing stands out as too saturated and it all fits together well.

Texture quality seems pretty good, slightly stylized but fitting for the shape of the object. Weathering on the walls & dirt makes sense.

Nighttime shot is great, and definitely not something alot of the submissions I've seen on here use. Seems decently handled and definitely gives off a homey warm sort of vibe.

What could use improvement(I.m.o.):

The edge of you roof needs tweaking. Particularly the highest roof edge. It tiles alright near the top middle but it's pretty easy to see how it starts loosing that as it bends towards the middle lowest part of the bend. It's almost the effect doing a planar map in a side viewport would have created. It might be better to have it tile consistently down and around the edge and create a slight seam in spots.

You grass and plants need more loving, maybe add some small bushes and/or flowers to break up the grass a little. Overall just too plain at the moment.

Did you use a Photoshop filter on your door hinge? The effect looks awfully familiar. Not sure it reads all that well. Might be better if it read more as metal and not so much as chiseled stone.

You might want to tone down the yellowness of your emissive. It's a little much at the moment.

Hope this helps, good work overall.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Wow, I really like the texturing on this one, the grass and plants are lacking though.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    i agree with zacd about the grass and plants, but otherwise i really love your textures!!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like any submission with no normal map just won't have a chance. Anyone else under this impression? I mean basically every surface in GW2 has them. And I imagine that's what the interns will be working on.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your rocks, tiles and wood have very dark (black even?) shadows, but no highlights at all. Either have flat textures and let normals do the lighting, or paint both darks and lights. There's also a huge discrepancy between the obviously photosourced grass, roof-slats and rock, and the very CG-looking door and windows.

A couple of quick fixes:
    -flip/mirror/rotate some of your wood-ends.
    -make the corners of the rock base less straight.
    -make your roof corners more jagged.

I believe you've spent too much time/polies on making things look perfectly smooth, when the building is supposed to be the opposite. This is costing you valuable detail.
  • andreaskreuter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andreaskreuter polycounter lvl 8
    sorry for the late reply didn`t get a notification about your reply`s.

@ Mr_Paris: thanks for the kind words. you are totally right about the improvements. grass/plants definitely deserve more love :) and yeah the door is a photoshop filter with some textures blend over. i just made it quick at the beginning and run out of time to work more on it.

@ ZacD: thanks!

@ Jessica Dinh: thanks!

@ achillesian: yeah your right normal map would make it look a lot better but there was only 2x 1024x1024 texture space and i used/wasted :) it all on the diffuse, alpha and glow map. have to learn a lot in this area.

@ Snader: thanks, i know what you mean. will work on that.

thanks again for all your helpful feedback.
    i will definitely slip your critic in the next project.

cheers,
    andreas