Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Noob Struggling with Advanced Project (Need Help ASAP!)

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on applying to college this November to study game design (or similar courses.) In many cases I have been asked to produce a portfolio, and rather than show a bunch of schizophrenic drawing, 3D models and writing pieces I have decided to go through the 3D modeling pipeline, building a low poly rifle model, creating my UV, normal and texture maps and finishing off a high poly in Mudbox to bake over the low poly. Only 1 problem...

I've never done 3D modeling before.

Oh sure, I've done the dumpster that every beginner modeler is told to do, but I've never done something so advanced, nor have I had so little time to complete it. Which is why I'm turning to the Polycount community for help.
Unfortunately I can't seem to upload images of the model, so if anyone is interested in helping me please respond on this post and I will send you a private message with my e-mail address that way I can send the WIP maya file to you.

Hope people are willing to help!

EDIT:

Alright everyone, this is where I am right now and this is probably where I'm stopping on this project. Since I know next to nothing about modeling I'm going to include this in my portfolio as an experimental piece, and start working on more basic models so that I can actually pull off UV, normal and texture maps for them. Doing those for the assault rifle is way beyond my capabilities right now. Anyway, thanks for the info, it'll be helpful in focusing my research into the field, and here's the final high-poly render:

Futuristic_Rifle_hp_experiment.png

Cheers.

Replies

• greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Find as many tutorials as you can and do them all. Hit the polycount wiki. What school are you applying to? Is the program focused on a particular aspect like art or does it try to do it all? Game design tends to be a blanket term for many aspects of game development training.

If you want to learn how to design games that people can play, then you don't need to go to a game school, you need to go to school and dabble in everything from literature to science. Learn mythology, psychology, history, politics, etc. While you're taking those, make board games or use tools like game maker or Unity and UDK. Use what you have available to you and make a game out of it. That's what a game designer does. You could even create your own fantasy card game with nothing but Gimp and card stock. You would learn the importance of balance, chance, skill, and rules. Make a text based RPG to learn how to create good story elements. Pick a game and analyze how it plays, learn its behavior. Oh, and visit sites like gamecareerguide.com, there's lots of good information for budding designers.

If you're going for art, go get an art degree or take some art classes.

I'd be wary about these game schools. I attended one and even though I left before I finished (I had 128 of 180 credits complete) I found myself woefully inadequate to jump into the search for a job in the industry. They ask for a lot of money and they don't care where you get it nor how or if you can even pay it back. Examine the curriculum closely and make certain that it teaches exactly what you want to learn.
  • IAmTheClayman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, should have been more specific about the schools I'm applying to: UPenn, CMU, RPI, WPI, RIT Lehigh, NYU, etc. A lot of alphabet soup, but they're all strong liberal arts schools with either established or up and coming BS degrees area like Game Design, Digital Media Design or Game Design and Interactive Media (to name a few.)

My focus in the industry would be artistic design (in all areas including writing, concept art, 3D modeling, animation) and the actual design position working as the liaison between the artistic and programming departments. My programming right now is a bit sketchy--some basic Python and C++ stuff, nothing nearly advanced enough to start making games with.

Hope this helps!
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Sorry, should have been more specific about the schools I'm applying to: UPenn, CMU, RPI, WPI, RIT Lehigh, NYU, etc. A lot of alphabet soup, but they're all strong liberal arts schools with either established or up and coming BS degrees area like Game Design, Digital Media Design or Game Design and Interactive Media (to name a few.)

My focus in the industry would be artistic design (in all areas including writing, concept art, 3D modeling, animation) and the actual design position working as the liaison between the artistic and programming departments. My programming right now is a bit sketchy--some basic Python and C++ stuff, nothing nearly advanced enough to start making games with.

Hope this helps!

What you're describing sounds like an art lead rather than a game designer. I'm an amateur myself, but what you're looking to do seems infeasible. Designers don't often do art. That's what art leads do with the art team. Art leads also communicate with the programmers to get the right engine features for their assets. Game designers are the guys that put numbers into spreadsheets and test out game mechanics. They write game design documents and communicate with the art and programming leads. The producers set goals and deadlines that the designers try to schedule milestones for. That's a designer's job.

You're mixing a lot of jobs in to one. If you want to do art, then be an artist. Learn a 3D package (Max, Maya, XSI), Photoshop, drawing, color theory, composition, and art history.

If you want to be a designer, go read a lot of literature and human culture, learn spreadsheets, make lots of table top games, and get some programming logic under your belt (designers typical do scripting more than programming). Some spatial design knowledge would be good if you want to be a level designer. Oh, and become the world's greatest researcher. When you are a designer, you're going to be researching the hell out of your subject matter for the game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    An important question to ask is why you need to present an ART portfolio for a DESIGN degree? Designers don't take an art test when applying to a studio, they take a design test, it involves writing. So the most important skills are creativity and communication.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Sounds like you want to do everything!

Unfortunately you're going to have to narrow it down. Here's some articles I dug up a while ago.

Types of DESIGN jobs in the industry: http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/483/types_of_game_.php?page=1

As graphics have gotten more uber and complex the ART roles in the industry for the most part have branched off into specializations. A list off the top of my head is:

Art Director/Lead Artist - The person who manages the art team and makes sure that the visual feel of the game remains consistent and on point. She/He coordinates between the art team and Game Designers. http://www.skillset.org/games/careers/article_4734_1.asp

Concept Artist - These are the people who generate 2D art for the use of visual communication to the game artists. They also make model sheets for characters, weapons, environment assets, etc.

Environment Artist - They model the environment assets and handle things such as terrain, buildings, props such as crates and barrels (haha), vehicles, trees, rocks, bridges, statues, etc etc. In most cases they also texture the assets but there is such a thing as a Texture/Material Artist as well whose main job is to create the textures.

Character/Creature Artist - Main job is to model and texture the characters in the game, and things like their weapons/armor. Depending on the game, also creates monsters and animals and whatnot.

Rigger/Animator - Riggers set up the models to be animated which is a very technical process, and the animators, well, animate. They do things like run cycles, attack moves, idle animations, jumps, etc. They can also animate objects like vehicles.

FX Artist - Creates particle effects such as spells, rain, fog, explosions, waterfalls, smoke, etc.

Lighting Person Thingy - I don't know what it's called but they set up complex lighting scenarios and effects.

UI Artist - Makes the menus and user interface that you see on the screen, like health bars and ammo count and maps and stuff.

That's all I can think of, I'm probably forgetting a few. So you see there's a lot of options out there, but it's just not possible to be a designer/programmer/artist/writer super game person. You'll need to figure out what you're most passionate about and pursue that particular aspect.

I'd abandon the rifle model for now until you figure out if you even want to go that route. :}
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    An important question to ask is why you need to present an ART portfolio for a DESIGN degree? Designers don't take an art test when applying to a studio, they take a design test, it involves writing. So the most important skills are creativity and communication.

If its anything like my course it may be entitled 'game design' but it covers everything from design documents to modelling and animation.
  • IAmTheClayman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @greevar: Perhaps I've made a mistake in my understanding of the role, but ultimately I'd like a position as the Creative Director of a studio, which I assumed involved knowledge of most if not all aspects of the artistic side of development.

@Justin_Meisse: Even though the courses tend to be called Game design they run the gamut from programming languages to digital art. However, in many cases you are expected to either minor or dual major in another key area to specialize (such as writing, fine art, etc.) See Skillmister's response for proof.

@Sybrix: See my response to greevar, I'm doing mostly prop work now but I'd like to get into character design once my skills increase.
  • IAmTheClayman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Futuristic_Rifle_1_Render1.png
    Futuristic_Rifle_1_Render2.png

Meanwhile, I finally got those renders up. Hopefully they're high enough quality (been having some trouble getting them to look good, Maya's rendering settings do confuse me a bit.)

As for a poly count, it's sitting at around 3300 tris.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @greevar: Perhaps I've made a mistake in my understanding of the role, but ultimately I'd like a position as the Creative Director of a studio, which I assumed involved knowledge of most if not all aspects of the artistic side of development.

A creative director is a design role, that comes from a design or programming background. Obviously its not a job you get right away, but if that's your ultimate goal, you probably want to focus WAY more on the design side of things, rather than modeling, texturing, etc, and follow greevar's advice.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13

Yeah a lot of courses around the UK often dump a whole bunch of stuff into "design" and it essentially covers everything. The good ones then lets the student really focus in final year.

Futuristic_Rifle_1_Render1.png
    Futuristic_Rifle_1_Render2.png

Meanwhile, I finally got those renders up. Hopefully they're high enough quality (been having some trouble getting them to look good, Maya's rendering settings do confuse me a bit.)

As for a poly count, it's sitting at around 3300 tris.

That's actually not far off what someone from the year above me (who recently graduated) has made. Similar design and definitely same level of competence.

(That wasn't to say you're amazingly awesome.)

(Which isn't to say you're not doing well.)

(This hole feels deep now.)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titles like Creative Director & Art Director are not entry level positions - they typically call for 10-15 years of studio experience.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also echo Justin's points, and you need to be clear about what they are looking for. A lot of schools take the "graphic design" courses they've offered for years, rearrange a few bits and call it "game design". Their buckshot approach is about as helpful at landing a job in both courses... With these schools you could paste some stickers and macaroni on a piece of paper and they would let you in. =/

As for the weapon, you're off to a good start but it sounds like they're looking for a portfolio and you've decided to use that time to make a weapon? One piece does not a portfolio make...

Also weapons can be incredibly complex things to make, especially if you're going to create a high poly model that is going to bake well, there is a lot of hard surface and high poly modeling that you need to get right. Mudbox isn't going to do that for you.

I think you're biting off more than you can chew and you would be better served if you did several smaller projects that require a lot less work but achieve the same goal.

Some suggestions:
    - Sci-Fi wall panel.
    You get to use some of the same techniques you would use on the gun but its not as complex, it is easier to unwrap and bake.

- Industrial equipment like a AC unit or a Generator or maybe some old mining equipment if you're up for a bit of a challenge.
    Something with enough interesting details that it can be made easily but nothing crazy or complex.

- Interesting lamps, tables and chairs can be great.
    Such a wide variety to suit anyone's tastes. These can normally be knocked out in a day or two.

- guard tower, water tower, silo or another silo

- bunker entrance

Simple stuff, nothing too complex and all things you can crank out in a short amount of time.
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    Are you planning on doing all of your hi-poly work in mudbox? You can do a fair amount of the high poly stuff before starting to sculpt. You should probably knock out the hi-poly before you try to finalize the low poly. You usually have to do some tweaking with the low poly and high poly to bake out the maps, especially with a complicated shape like a gun. You could also probably get some of the details that you have modeled into your low poly from Your normal map. For instance, the recessed squares in the extruded rectangle between the magazine and the sight. Those recesses don't affect the silhouette and you could just bake those in and save yourself some tris.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Academy of Art in San Francisco is pretty decent. At least if you want to focus more on the art/level design side of things anyway.

You can get as deep into the traditional arts as you like and build up a really solid foundation, and then you can jump into the game design courses and get into high poly modeling & level design very quickly. Most of the teachers really know their stuff too, very professional minus a few bad eggs in the Game Design department specifically.

The biggest drawback of AAU, particularly in their game design classes is that the teacher selection is about 50% talented experienced professionals and 50% incompetents who couldn't find work elsewhere... So it's really important to talk with other students who've taken classes with the teachers to know who's good and who isn't. As long as you stick with the good ones you'll learn a ton and feel like you got what you paid for.

Another drawback of AAU is the cost. It's expensive, but I feel overall that it is money well spent. I've seen people, myself included get some great starting opportunities created by some of our teachers who wanted to reward the more hard working students.

One of my friends is even doing an internship with Massive Black right now and he still has a couple semesters before he graduates, thanks to the fact that one of our teachers actually works for them. :)

But that's just an FYI. I know some people here on polycount are sort of against for profit schools in relation to game design in general. I've had a positive experience with the school I'm at and I've seen friends who graduate go on to get relevant work so that seems like a good sign to me.

*shrug* Food for thought anyway.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Oh, my bad. :x From your second post it sounded like you didn't have a real solid focus.

I second Dygert's suggestion to start with modeling simpler things to learn the basics and workflow of the program. A gun is a little too much to be jumping right into. They're deceptively complicated little bastards. :\ How about the obligatory crate and barrel?

Good luck with the school hunt.

Oh and I wanted to add, I know there are many schools who do accept students without an extensive collection of polished 3D works. You're going there to learn how to create kickass portfolio pieces from the ground up in the first place, right? Most kids in the first semester of my program didn't know any 3D software or what a normal map even was. You should see some of the stuff those same kids are cranking out now.

A detailed high poly model baked to a low poly with all the bells and whistles is somewhat advanced stuff. Unless it's specified in the submission guidelines I wouldn't even worry about rushing into something so daunting just yet.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    As someone who has completed a program like that I say to you:
    Do Not Do It.

Your chances of employment, and gain of applicable skill and knowledge will be much larger if you go through a traditional arts or programming course and tailor your personal projects to game related themes.
  • IAmTheClayman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to go back and do some more basic models to add those to my portfolio. However, being the stubborn ass that I am, I decided to teach myself how to do high quality render setups.

That being said, here's what the rifle actually looks like (as opposed to those blurry pics I posted before):
    Futuristic_Rifle_left.png
    Futuristic_Rifle_right.png

Personally, the overall shape looks a bit warped, but I'm proud of how the silhouette looks considering that I designed the entire thing myself. Hope you guys like it too.
  • IAmTheClayman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so maybe I'm more stubborn than I thought. Here's half a high-poly model, everything from the bottom of the barrel and up is in its final form. Comments, critiques, etc always welcome.

Futuristic_Rifle_hp_experiment_half.png

BTW, this is about 58000 tris.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they take a design test, it involves writing. So the most important skills are creativity and communication.

Wait, this happens? I've never heard of this, nor have I ever been asked to do one when applying for design positions. They are of course the most nebulous and difficult to plot career path in the industry though.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    fat guns are sexy too~!

jokes aside, i think it's looking kinda hefty on the width side of things.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, this happens? I've never heard of this, nor have I ever been asked to do one when applying for design positions. They are of course the most nebulous and difficult to plot career path in the industry though.

just like art, the test usually comes after a positive phone interview.
  • hitmanrebel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hitmanrebel polycounter lvl 8
    A simple idea would be to look at the gun from top view and give it some silhouette changes. Making the gun thinner in areas and thinker in others where the inside mechanics would need to bigger space.

hope this helps.
  • IAmTheClayman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Futuristic_Rifle_hp_2r.png

Futuristic_Rifle_hp_2t.png

Futuristic_Rifle_hp_2f.png

Apparently I don't know when enough is enough. Made it thinner like you guys suggested, hopefully this looks better.

EDIT: Total tris at this point: 125080 on the dot.
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really liked the piece until I saw that it was 125080 tris. I would definitely say you should look into learning about poly management as well as just general modelling practices. I realize its your first time though so it is very understandable. I am also willing to bet that the reason it is as many tris as it is, is because you used maya's "Smooth" tool which is never a good idea unless it is in very specific scenarios. If you upload the file or something I would be glad to give you some advice on places it can be cut down or something like that as I love simplifying models to make them less polys. I would also be perfectly fine communicating through e-mail as was suggested in your original post.

In any case, Good luck.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    I believe he is reporting the high poly triangle count. Which is completely unnecessary to mention. Tri count mostly only needs to be mention on your game ready asset. Keep on trucking.
  • IAmTheClayman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right you are Quack! (Nice name to make me write a ridiculous sounding sentence like that lol) Again, I'm not even studying 3D modeling yet save for tutorials online, so I'm not exactly sure how I should be presenting my work. If anyone knows a good way to set up a portfolio that might come in handy as well.