Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Ancient Gateway

For my most recent 3D project, I wanted to create an environment using Unreal Development Kit. I decided to build a gateway to an ancient city from a fantasy story I'm writing. Here is the result. I would appreciate any critique, so please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Gateway_Shot_01_sm.jpg

Gateway_Shot_02_sm.jpg

Gateway_Shot_03_sm.jpg

Gateway_Shot_04_sm.jpg

Gateway_Shot_05_sm.jpg

Gateway_Wires.jpg

Gateway_Textures.jpg

Replies

• Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I'm no environment artist, so take this for what it's worth. It's not bad so far, the modeling looks good to me, the design is there too, but it's very very gray, and boring. There's no weathering to the stone, the lighting is very basic, there's no atmospherics, or shadows, it's just kinda "bleh".

But if it's just a start, it's not a bad one. You need to push this a LOT further. Get some reference, and study the shit out of it. Image search old places like this, and get inspiration, and ideas for ways to push it. Put those images into a collage, and refer to that a lot.

In short, good for START, not nearly finished yet. Keep going
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Bake some lightmap within UDK, this will give more depth with shadows in the scene.

http://eat3d.com/free/udk-light-map-resolution-basic-overview
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    The concept it's pretty cool but I think that the light set-up and the textures can give a lot more strength to the scene.

Like this:
    Argonath.jpg

You can play a lot with the afternoon light.

Keep it up mate!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't look terribly ancient either. There needs to be more distress on the corners of stone and in the cracks between objects.

ruins.JPG
  • sapphireLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I made an updated version with different lighting. Does this look better?

Gateway_WIP_01.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    better, still quite flat, the lights are angled almost straight at the structure, not very atmospheric, look at the previous picture, a harsh orange directional light from one side and a blueish gray from the other side with most of the place in shadow not in light.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    i agree with the other comments regarding the "clean-ness" of the scene when its meant to be an ancient gateway.

another thing worth mentioning again is the lack of color in the scene, right now i see greyish and a few specks of orange. sometimes taking a look at things with a different perspective can help a bit:

ancientgateway_blurred.jpg

**udk includes this feature, in engine. i believe its called "squint" or something like that. its one of my favorite tools for breaking down the large picture of your scenes

with this blurred paintover, you can see how little color you have (currently) in your scene. things like green overgrowth or reddish dirt and dust can help out with this a bit.

also, id like to reitterate the image that nfrrtycmplx posted:
    ruins.JPG

i think some epic shadows crawling over the scene from the pillars, like in the above image, would really look good in this scene.

just a few points to think about, keep it going
  • sapphireLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here's another attempt, trying to get better shadows and improve the look of the pillars.

Gateway_WIP_02.jpg
  • Jimmg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmg polycounter lvl 5
    Looking better! Still looks kind of greyish, maybe put some browns in there?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the right hand side of the picture is looking pretty strong now, maybe dirty it all up a little with colour and grittyness the floor looks mostly clean white. Might wanna put something on top of the cliffs in the background eg grass with hanging vines or something as they currently look like very low poly planes.
  • Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighting looks much better and its playing with your normal a lot more.

I think it could help to break up the white tiles with some more weathering, cracks, and if your going to add greenery to the scene couldn't hurt to have some overgrowth in between tiles. Also, having some tiles that are physically ajar would help to break up the flatness more.

brokenweatheredtiles.jpg
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so much sex in this thread !

Keep it up
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    MUCH more visual interest in there now! Looks a lot better. Just gotta get some more details in the textures, add some vines and things like Ged suggested, maybe have some plants growing between the tiles like in the screens Blitzy provided... You can take this piece very far, as long as you keep going. You're doing good so far
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You definitely need some vegetation of some kind in there. Find some suitable references for the type of environment you're going for. As it is now, it's just too sterile and I can't get a feel for what kind of region this is supposed to be in.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Lighting looks nice, much better than first post!
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    What lighting setup are you using? I always have trouble getting bright lighting with nice, dark shadows like you have here.
  • sapphireLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a new update.

Gateway_WIP_03_A.jpg

The scene is lit with a light orange Dominant Directional Light with a high brightness setting and a blue Environment Color. There's also a little bit of bluish fog in there. While working on this current version, I made the textures a brighter color, which helped them bounce the light around, unlike the dark gray textures I had before. I also tried to make the place look more ancient by breaking up the ground tiles with some patches of dirt and grass.

Gateway_WIP_03_B.jpg

It's crazy how different it is from the first version. I really want to thank you guys for your advice. It's helping me a lot! :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    the difference between the first and last post is astounding.

Im not an enviro guy, so take this with a gain of salt, but I think the middle stones need some cracking. everything else in the scene is cracked except for that center thing. And maybe a vine or two growing up one or two of the pillars.

Possibly some sort of human influence as well, like, something left over from some ceremonies? old relics, or something. That just popped in my head, so i really dont know what else.

looks great though! :D
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    I think the lighting is a bit too dim.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Drastic improvement!

I say keep going with the weeds/grass in the cracks between stones. Right now you only have it in the dirt. It would creep its way into the crevices. I would do it sparingly, though.
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Great work on lighting! As mentioned above, keep going with vegetation.
    However, here is a problem: The title says "Ancient Gateway", yet it seems brand new. You need to add TONS of decay to this piece: Broken columns, cracked ground plates, collapsed ceiling, beaten up gateway and as said above - relics/garbage. The piece seems too uniformal, so when you will be breaking stuff do so randomly. Another tip is that ideally you want people to travel through the gateway; however in your case my eyes always linger on that orange thing. Please light the area beyond the gate, or place something there that would make the audience wonder whats inside and keep wanting more! Sorry if I seemed harsh, but I just wanted to help. Anyways, keep going, you're doing great :)
  • Blitzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to agree with previous sentiments about it looking too clean.
    The floor tiles should be cracked and chipped to hell. The greenery should have more of a creeping effect has it grows in between the tiles.

On a side not I'm not fond of the dirt mask on the tiles. Its too soft, doesn't seem believable and just comes off feeling too much list a quick and dirty "Photoshop mask". Focus on placing broken up tile meshes around the areas that are masked away with dirt. It'll help give the floor more depth.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    this has come so far from what it was. Gotta love the help you get here on the awesomeness that is PC! Maybe some trees on top of the cliffs would be cool? Just a suggestion :)
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You might want to look at the lighting a bit, in the afternoon the lighting tends to be yellowish which will cause the shadows to be purplish. This will give the scene a more natural lighting instead of a florescent manufactured white light with black shadows.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Also shadows tend to be soft in natural sun light, not sharp like yours are. You can do this in UDK by have 3 directional lights at slightly different angles.
  • Perfect_Rolemodel
    If you want soft/hard shadows except for having 3 directional lights which increases light rendering time you can go into the properties of your 1 directional light source under tabs "Light" > "Light Component" > "Lightmass" > "Lightmass Settings" > "Light Source Angle" and "Shadow Exponent" Mess with these 2 settings it will update immediately without having to render to see end results. Don't know if you have a "Post Processing" volume in there. Would make it more baddass if this isn't already which imo it is.

Good stuff. :thumbup: