Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Would appreciate feedback on my road median texture map.

i_call_this_one____road_median___by_requestforgetmenots-d4ah5vc.png

I'm doing this for class. Teacher supplied the occlusion map. In general it is smooth, aside from a couple big holes, and I thought it was boring and looked like plastic wrap. So I added scratches and heavy wearing to it. I'm afraid the transition between the two doesn't look right, though. If it doesn't work, I'll just remove the additional wear, but I would like feedback on that first because I'm afraid that would take away from the texture's character. I'm thinking of adding some stains to it -- don't know if that would cloud up the texture too much. Eventually I will sharpen the image and then add an Unsharp Mask to it.

Replies

• MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I think people are gonna need a bit more than this..
    Show us the model (and original texture?). What is it? What kind of material is it made off? Will you be using a normal map?

Give us some info to base our comments on. Right now all I can say is that it's a bit gray.. and the shadow areas in your textures are almost completely black. You mentioned the original texture looked a bit like plastic wrap and at the moment I'm still getting this feeling.

Also, what's with the weird texture resolution? 894x894

Edit: Sorry, a fail on my part, just realized that the title told me what it's supposed to be :p Still seeing the model would help tons to give more useful comments. So we can see how the texture looks on the actual model.
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    median_render_by_requestforgetmenots-d4ahlem.png

The model's also given by the teacher.

I gave the texture some color. It's made of concrete so I want it look a little chalky. Haven't had time to fix the plastic wrap effect completely. I'm going to tone down the shading a bit. Have a couple other versions -- will upload them later today.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    hmmm... is that a photo ref overlayed on to your texture? cuz that is how it feels. Look at this website. it has some good understanding of work flow and approaching textures.

http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/materials.html

Some quick comments, some of the highlights you have on the texture look blown out, and the contrast just makes it look flat. Try to stay away from photoshop filters, just use them for certain adjustments and polishing if you really have to. I would layout a generic concrete texture first, once you nail that one you can move into adding corrosion and dirt and stains and what not. So far it just looks like a photoshoped image that was overlayed in your texture.
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't photosource it. I used the dodge, burn, and paint tools. Should I turn the grunge layers vertical? Or should I turn them off? For the highlights, what's the best solution?
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Grunge should focus on bottom parts as they are most likely to get in real world, as well as damages. It also cloud be darker let's say from mud, depends where it's going to be used. Also this edge brightening is way to strong especialy with comprasion with grunges on both sides of it.
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should I lower the contrast in general, iniside?