Home Technical Talk

USING UNITY - Is the grid/snap so important?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
Hi,

I've been looking around for some workflow tips on Unity regarding creating an environment. Am I right in thinking that the use of a grid isn't so important, unlike with UDK, and that it doesn't use the grid snap. If so does this mean that you would design all your modular stuff within the 3D program before exporting?... any tips from Unity users would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Replies

• Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    it does have grid snap, I use it all the time with modular stuff!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think there is as much emphasis on working on the grid in Unity, you definitely can though.

I don't usually worry about it. I usually just make sure that the pivot for the modular pieces is in a smart place and use vertex snapping.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So when you work modular does Unity require that you piece your modular work together in Unity or can you instance the modular pieces within your 3D program to build your level before exporting it all to Unity?
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    You can hold CTRL when moving to grid snap, or use vertex snapping. It all depends on how you work and what'll make you comfortable, there's no "best practice" here. Some people really need to see round numbers in their transform components though...
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Gooner442 wrote: »
    So when you work modular does Unity require that you piece your modular work together in Unity or can you instance the modular pieces within your 3D program to build your level before exporting it all to Unity?

If you can hold the instancing within the exported 3d file (FBX), then you should be able to do it.

Though the best option I'd think would be to make the piece in Unity, make it into a new prefab, then once you've built up each piece as it's own prefab, then drag and drop to build the level.

The instanced prefab system works kinda well, though it could be a bit more automated when making them.

If you're lucky and don't need to change anything, then simply dragging the mesh into the scene will make a new prefab with the mesh and the materials it came with. Then you should be able to make levels out of those prefabs.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies and advice..... prefabs sound like the way to go, I'm sure I'll be back with more Unity queries...

The Unity community seems to be growing pretty quickly, would be good to have a Unity specific area here like there is for UDK and Cryengine.