Home Technical Talk

how to make best sand texture?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I have been trying all the techniques I know so far , with pretty decent results but to be honest none really make me feel like its "perfect" , I sculpted, crazybumped , even used geocontrol tools to create sort of dunes normals but they alwyas lack some deepness ,I found the best was to have a photoshopped handwork out of an original picture , but then what would you suggest to make a good normal map that shows proper ups and downs in the sand? Making it out of the texture dont work as takes the darker areas as drops in height and viceversa for the light parts , when instead are side shadings ... is there a way to get a better high up definition heightmap or normal from a picture ?

Replies

• Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    id sculpt it and if you need more depth then just duplicate the normal map in photoshop and do an overlay
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    you mean in zbrush? Do you know of any good tutorial or brush setting for such a thing?
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    It still kinda depends on what kind of sand you're looking for? Show us some referenece then it's easier to come up with a good way to tackle it. :)
  • NAIMA
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Use more geo.
    The texture itself is simple, just actually MAKE dunes with edges and faces.
    You could try something like bump offset to add some visual depth, but if you really want it to look like deeply depressed sand, just model it. The detail will get removed in the LODs down the line.

Or you could use some displacement mapping on a sufficiently dense mesh for the ground plane.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I know but how to ? Geocontrol leaves whide flat areas among the dunes wich I don't want ...
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Ah. Ya don't really need a terrain generator. They're geared for too large of scale.

Those particular mini dunes look very close to Perlin's Turbulence function.

My suggestion? start with a plane of N by N dimensions, where N is one side of your texture. Like for a 256x256 pixel texture use a 256x256 plane, so you have one point for each pixel in your end map.
    If you're in 3ds max, apply a displace modifier, then put a new "noise" map into the displacement slot, set its setting to turbulence. Top color white, bottom color black, use 1-3 octaves at most, and a low size, like 4-16 for a 256 map, and tweak the other settings till you get something you like. This should give you something like this:
    Sand.jpg

Take this to zbrush or your sculpting app of choice. Don't subdivide it, just modify it enough so that its a bit more sandy. Sharper peaks maybe, add a few internal dune accumulations that you don't get from the algorithm alone.

Next step is to make it tileable. Use one of the many methods in assorted tutorials around the web and polycount for making high res tileable assets/textures.

Once its tileable and looks more like the sand you want, bring it back to max or your retopo program of choice and make your low poly version. Export and bake as normal, apply sandy texture as needed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    thanks this is interesting ....

teriyaki can u post some updates while you do it?
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thats the one I did mostly photoshopping and handwork....

• newsand.jpg
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 17
    your reference image looks like some celular noise in multible layers overlayed
    this this only isnt convincing, id say some portion of thermal erosion would help

gotta try that out, images later
    [Edit]
    sand%20displacement.png
    probably this could work
    sand%20displacement2.png
  • Mark Dygert
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1216404#post1216404

The reference was a little different in this thread but pretty much the same thing, some modifiers, some sculpting, some tile work...
    I would probably do some sculpting but only after tossing a few modifiers on a plane.
    Dunes01.gif

Wave modifier.
    Skew.
    Noise, to give it some chaos.
    Turbosmooth and noise again, to give it some micro sand details
    Then sculpt to refine the edges and work the sand micro details.

You could use blend masks and displacements to make it tile but I'd probably just take the lazy way out and do it in photoshop.
    I'm not sure if you realize it but the pattern in the ref image is due to human foot traffic, so having large open, untouched areas with that material would be kind of weird... Which brings me to another point, often you have a handful of sand materials and they need to be blended together, normally with some kind of vertex color mask.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Actually its not due to human foot traffic usually , in remote areas it can be messy ground due to severall factors not last animal traffic or wind patterns , anyway I want to make something that doesn't have recognizeable human steps in it ....

similar to sand dunes in desert but on smaller scale ....
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
  • maze
  • Mark Dygert
    I don't mean to bust your balls about the pattern but I think you're off...
    NAIMA wrote: »
    Actually its not due to human foot traffic usually
    The name of the image you linked to is named...foot-path-in-sand-dune-to-the-beach-at-the-shore-under-a-cloudy-stormy-sky.jpg
    That particular pattern is caused by human feet coming to and leaving a beach...

The most common pattern you see in deserts/dunes, are the wavy lines.

Occasionally in certain areas you might get something that looks a little more chaotic because the wind changes direction and erodes the wavy pattern in another direction but normally those patterns are formed by pretty strong winds associated with weather patterns such as storms where the wind is blowing constantly in one direction for a prolonged period of time.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    but I mean it for island sand beaches and not for desert , for desert I would agree as it has open fields and wind can rule , but on islands or coasts , the vegetation , rocks and obstacle breack the wind patterns over the beaches ... I don't think all the messy ground is caused only by human feet ... I may be wrong tough ... Anyone knos how looks a desert beach like? Usually the ones I visited that didn't hold many "tourists" where as well messy ....
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    at least in my area it is still the wind at work and the tide pushing in big rocks when it comes in and pull them back into the ocean when it goes out.

but that is because where im from, Nova Scotia has really rugged beaches with lots of granite boulders scattered about.

like i said the look of the beach will have a lot to do with the location, in my case got it bordering the whole Atlantic ocean so the elements can really get to things verses, a beach in a place like California where it is quite sheltered from the elements, and not as deep.

vegetation will have a effect too, dune grass, or shrubs and trees growing on the border of the beach, but when it isn't the wind at work it is mostly likely all the crap the tide is pushing and pulling over the beach that makes it all messy.

you should pick a location for your beach and study images of that area and only that area. pick a Provence or State and study the beaches from only 1 shore of that said Province or State. I also don't know where you live but maybe a beach day is in store (if possible), just bring a Camera and a sketchbook with you.
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 17
    so noone tried my displacement maps?
    i got pretty decent looking sand plane from it
  • Mark Dygert
    I haven't tried them but I bet they would work pretty well.

One thing I just remembered is, substance materials come with a few sand materials that each have their own variety of changeable parameters. The best part is they tile, and using a plane you can bake out spec, normal, diffuse and AO maps.

You can then do like arrangemonk suggested and start layering various things together. You might even bake out a few different materials or combine them in the 3dsmax material in different ways.

As is they look pretty good and because they're tillable you can get a pretty good start on creating something custom.
    SubstanceSand.jpg
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    your reference image looks like some celular noise in multible layers overlayed
    this this only isnt convincing, id say some portion of thermal erosion would help

gotta try that out, images later
    [Edit]
    sand%20displacement.png
    probably this could work
    sand%20displacement2.png

Ok... How did you make those exactly? The results these give when I use them as a displacement map are pretty spot on for what I need, just too low resolution. Plus they look like simple filters some how?
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Make clouds, duplicate the layer and change blending mode to lighten and you should get something similar :)
  • richwderby
    Offline / Send Message
    richwderby polycounter lvl 6
    Any tips on what brushes to use in zbrush?