Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

post-graduation Character work

Thought it was time to bite the bullet and sign up to polycount.
A tad daunting looking at other's work.

I finished my Games Art course in July, 1st class with Honours (does a jig, my only proud moment in life).
The 1st year was art only, so only been using 3dsmax, zbrush, and photoshop for 2 years now.

Wanted to see what u fellas thought of my recent characters, Tesla and Predator. Both are around 20k triangles. Tesla was my 2nd attempt to rig, predator my 3rd, with only marginal success/improvement.

[no image attachment on polycount? what the duece??]

Tesla:
000_Tesla_promo.jpg
002_finalTESLA.jpg

TURNTABLE:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33409411/Source_TurnTable_Tesla.swf

Predator:
Render_Composite2b.jpg
Render_Composite_present1.jpg
Pred_AO0007.jpg

Obviously, University is now over and i need to get off my arse and find work. Getting hired in the Industry is hard enough, even moreso in England, and being a character artist, its impossible. But to be honest, I've hardly made an effort to get hired so far, just wanted to enjoy time off during the Summer.

Crits please? especially ideas on how to present my Predator pieces nicely.
Be gentle, i'm a poly-virgin. :poly121:

ps. dont have a website either.

Replies

• nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good from here. Bit too dark in some renders.

You should work on emphasizing the focal points of your characters like the face and create some contrast between the metal/fleshy bits ( on the predator in particular) using value/hue/tonal shifts... I know this is very general, and I'm sure someone else will be able to provide more helpful feedback. This is just my initial impression.

I really dig your work, and don't think you'll have too much trouble finding work if you clear up a few ambiguities in the different parts of the character.

for instance, it looks like he's wearing leather pants... and if i remember correctly, the predators basically naked with fishnet/metal armor.

a lot of the details are a bit muddy in the sculpt as well. especially in the hands and in the exposed fleshy bit on his right side..

In presenting your art, it's important to remember that silhouette is the most important thing. With a character as recognizable as this, you're going to get a lot of mileage out of more dynamic poses.

end rant and good job
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    additionally you're details are all roughly the same size. Particularly where you're trying to do folds/skin I do the same thing, where i'll sculpt out the details of folds and cracks or something, and not realize that all the indention or bumps are all the same size. It's tough, but I'm sure you'll get it! Just out of school, this is pretty good.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Killer work dude!!
    Ravanna wrote: »
    ps. dont have a website either.
    Then your first priority would be to get one. Presenting your work (setting up a portfolio) in a professional manner is a key to getting hired in the industry. Get noticed!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey man, work looks very good, the quality of UK 3d graduates keeps getting better and better. Most of the people i graduated alongside were very shit, and completely unhireable, so it's good to see the quality keeps increasing! What uni did you go to?
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    wow..post-graduate work..awesome stuff dude..now i go back to zbrushin...
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    Love the pred man :)
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good! The first Tesla shot is dramatic but you should include a few more shots that are brighter to show off everything you've made. Definitely put up a website, with some wires and flats too. Good luck!
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i'm gonna try work on getting a website up this week, something simple. Also redoing all my recent renders, in both adjusted gamma and 300 dpi A3 resolution to be printed off.

What pose did u want the sillouette in?

for now, here's a quick turntable i did:

TURNYTURNY

:poly142:
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, your characters look great! My 2 cents about building a portfolio: Make more original characters like Nikola over there ^^ Yeah its great to see predator, but it was done 100 times before. Nothing against your skills, just a tip for the future.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Thats some really good work mate, lovin the tesla character. I agree about getting a personalised portfolio up, cgsociety portfolios don't seem to cut it these days...

Btw which uni did you go to? I did a course in Interactive Media Design in Edinburgh which introduced me to 3D art (which was great) but there were only 3 modules, none of which focused on game art (which was disapointing).
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah sorry forgot to mention, It was Southampton Solent University.
    The University was sub-par, the city is a ****-hole, but the course and course leader were great.

year 1 focused on character design (learnt ABSOLUTELY nothing), 2d animation (which i hated) and theory.
    Only started using 3dsmax in 2nd year, and they had to force me to use PS over paintshoppro.

Only experience in games before the course was a stargate mod i did for an old Jedi Knight Game.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, going to try get website up asap. :)