Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Mauricio Redondo - Environment Artist

Hey guys!

My name is Mauricio Redondo, 22 years old. I'm currently a 3D student about to graduate but I have an internship left to do and I need to start sending out applications as soon as possible so I was looking for some feedback on my portfolio before I take the next step. :) (Is it okay to send them out while still having sections of the website under construction?)

I don't really have a lot of technical data right now like some proper breakdowns. Are there any good approaches for that within UDK? Like rendering out screenshots with a transparent background maybe. Anyway, here's the site!

http://sephez.com

Any feedback and harsh critique of my work and the site itself are really welcome and appreciated as always! :D

Cheers

Replies

• Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Mauricio!

I like the layout of your portfolio, easy to navigate and good info on the different pieces. Like you said the breakdowns are missing.

Maybe you can use the static mesh window to show of some wires and stills of different meshes. Google around and you can probably find some good tutorials about presentation in UDK. I know Alec Moody got a tutorial series that will show how to setup up UDK for rendering stills for portfolios: http://www.3dmotive.com/training/3ds-max/asset-workflow-series-the-briefcase-part-1/?fp

I think there shouldn't be a problem with sending out applications while still updating your site. You already have some solid stuff there.

Dont have any critique of your work now but I will have a look later and drop a line.

Good luck with your internship hunting!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Nice layout! Clean and simple as it should be. Nothing to critics on this side.

Your first work is interesting. However, you should show us:
    - triangle count (20, 2000 tris?)
    - texture sheets (diffuse, specular, normal)
    - texture size (512x512?)
    - wireframe of the whole scene

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to put characters on your portfolio, not because they aren't good, but if you want to sell yourself as an environement artist, you should only show them environments & props.

In your r
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Wonderful job with the park scene! One of the main problems I have with your other scene is the atv. I may be reading this wrong, but it says the atv is 20k tris and uses a 1024 diffuse/normal? Yet in the texture flats at the bottom, it looks as if you are using 1 512 for the body and 1 512 for the wheels? Besides that confusion, I feel the the texture for the vehicle is a bit lacking, especially if it has so many triangles devoted to it.

Fix up that texture, then add a little bit of variation to the ground texture and this be better. You will also want to consider relighting it. I'm not very good at lighting myself, so maybe some others can give you some pointers on that, but as it stands the mini-environment just isn't up to the standard you've set with the park.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    i like the design, its very clean and minimal like every artists should be, but that border isn't sitting too well with me. maybe its the color, i would try making it darker?

also, when you click into your pages, the images should stay as wide as they were on the homepage (imo). no sense making them smaller just so we have to click on them again :P
  • Sephez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great feedback, thanks guys :D I've addressed most of the issues you mentioned now, added a lot of breakdowns with triangle and texture size info, texture sheets and wires. I also tweaked the CV text and the border color.

Are the tree breakdowns for the autumn scene informative and easy to read or do I need to change them?

Pzychaoz: Thanks for the tutorial link, I don't really have a chance to check it out though as I'm trying to cut my expenses as much as possible until I can get a paid job in the industry but it's appreciated ^^

megalmn2000: Thanks! I added most of what you wrote, currently working on the wire-shot of the whole sceen. Right now I don't think I have as much work as I'd want to on the portfolio so I'll keep them for now but gradually replace them as I get more stuff to show! Fixed and done! :D

darbeenbo:
    It's actually using 4x512 textures, the two at the topright corner as well so I kinda wrote 1024 which is roughly the same. I've changed it now and I do agree with you. Will have to redo the textures on it because they are as you say, lacking :)

Mike Yevin:
    Yeah, I toned the color down a bit, hopefully it's not as distracting as the full white one was, haha.
    The reasoning is that I wanted the pictures to fit the embedded vimeo clips and I think it's also giving the visitor a greater sense of direction having the main index page and the subpages slightly different. But you do have a valid point :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The thumbnails and large views are nearly useless, because they only increase about 50%. Did you know that for Vimeo you can customize the embedding size? That'll get rid of the size difference between videos and images.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good for portfolio pieces, especially the park, but I'm afraid none would hire you to make production trees standing at 17k triangles (unless it's some kind of hero tree). You should be able to make nice trees under 2k in my opinion.

For an internship tho, I think you've got the level required at most places :)

Got some nice textures too, the character is okay but also takes the attention and you forget to look at the environment behind
  • Sephez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader: All right, I'm on it! :)

ParoXum: That's the thing, that's the only tree there's just 1 of. I have about 4 different versions of the trees, with only one above 3.5k tris. They all use the same diffuse textures, only with different color variations of the leaf/branch and they're all spread out in the scene. Maybe I should write that in the breakdown shot..

Haha, that was actually the point back when I made it. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to specialize in creating characters or environments so I did both with a focus on characters. I see what you mean tho and I'll re-record the scene and desaturate her more :) Thanks!